Sign in with
Your question

Is my E8400 overheating?

Last response: in CPUs
February 14, 2008 11:54:13 PM

I recently bought this PC: https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWis...

I'm using everything stock with no overclocking yet. However it came to my attention that my CPU seems maybe to be a little hot. Can anyone tell me of this is normal?

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/616/grab3il5.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8359/grab6gp5.jpg

This is being idle...I didn't run a stress test or anything yet...is this an issue?

More about : e8400 overheating

February 15, 2008 12:03:57 AM

I downloaded orthos and the CPU went as high as 73 for CORE1 and 71 for CORE2 before I turned it off...it was on for about three or four minutes before I stopped out of worry. This isn't good, is it?
February 15, 2008 12:15:53 AM

reseat your CPU cooler. It sounds a little on the hot side.

Edit: what program is giving you 73 degrees? It may not be reporting accurately.
Related resources
February 15, 2008 12:24:34 AM

It was coretemp.. I'm using a the stock heatsink fan. You want me to remove it and stick it back?
February 15, 2008 12:28:28 AM

Well, if you have more thermal paste, go ahead and pull it, grease it up, and reseat it. If not, try undoing the clips and not pull the heatsink off. Then push down on the cpu cooler a little and fasten the clips again.

Edit, I keep editing. Blah. Brain not functioning right now :p 
February 15, 2008 1:01:09 AM

I pulled the heatsink off without extra thermal paste before. Do you think this is the reason? One of the clips on the cooler does not want to fit in correctly and keeps popping off, its somewhat stable but shaky. The rest are rock solid.

Should I buy some more thermal paste and put some? Is me removing it and putting it back on with some the cause? Or is my CPU just messed up?
February 15, 2008 1:14:09 AM

Quick and easy test to see if your heatsink is correctly installed. Run Orthos again. If the temperature rises to 70C touch the heatsink. If you can't touch the heatsink because it is too hot then the processor is not working correctly. If the heatsink feels cool to the touch which I'm betting it will be then your heatsink is not fastened correctly. Best way to tell if you have it securely fasten is to look at the backside of the board when it is out of the chassis and observe that all 4 black pins are showing equally through the motherboard.

Another thing to try is have the system laying flat. Remove the heatsink and just place it on the processor. Don't attempt to lock it down. Wiggle it back and forth to make sure it is sitting on the heatsink squarely and then turn your system back on and monitor temperatures. If should heatup to around 40 C at idle or less. If it goes higher you still don't have the heatsink sitting squarely on the processor heatspreader.

It is very hard these days to damage your processor. It will thermally protect itself by design by either asserting Stop_Clk or by automatically shutting the system down.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 15, 2008 1:14:19 AM

Any time you remopunt replace the paste. And having one clip not mounted properly is really bad. Remove the mobo from the case to do it right. Experianced ones always realize it take time, and pulling the mobo is time, we live with it.

Thermal paste. MX-2 I use. Artic Silver and another called AS-5 is good. Petras in cali is great, nice peeps, I try to order from them if they have it and prices are good there too.

Get paste, pull mobo, do it right. Read up on proper paste application. You do it wrong it's not pretty. And read some more.
February 15, 2008 1:16:30 AM

Yes, you should always put new thermal paste on after removing the HSF. Go get some and put it on.
February 15, 2008 1:16:54 AM

I don't have Orthos installed, but I've got around 40C at idle with CoreTemp, and while running two instances of Prime95, I get 44/51 on the two cores (after 10+ minutes). But I'm overclocked to 3.8GHz as well, and using a Scythe Ninja cooler.

Clint
February 15, 2008 1:17:00 AM

The paste could have some effect on the temperature, but it shouldn't send it over 70 in any case. The loose fit of the CPU cooler may have a bigger effect. If you don't feel like springing 20-30 bucks for an aftermarket cooler, you could try get some new paste and reseat the cpu cooler in another position, like rotating it 90degrees to see if the clips will all line up better. Make sure to clean off the old paste first though.
February 15, 2008 1:19:40 AM

Okay, so the reasons it might be running too high is because when I remounted, I didn't apply paste, and that one clip not mounting properly can be an issue.

I tried putting it in correctly but that stupid clip just wont mount right. Should I buy Freezer 7 Pro for a replacement heatsink and buy Arctic Silver 5 to repaste?
February 15, 2008 1:25:44 AM

The Heatsink and paste are fine.

Please check to make sure that you did not damage the white peg that push through the motherboard. If these don't properly line up with the holes in the motherboard they will cause the clip not to work correctly when you push the black pin down.
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 15, 2008 1:28:48 AM

CNeufeld, thanks for that info. How does that help? Nice OC, guess thats what you needed.
February 15, 2008 1:28:52 AM

The thing is people are saying I need to repaste when infact I have none.. andthe heatsink clip just doesnt want to stick through no matter what...
February 15, 2008 1:32:59 AM

Did you look at the white plastic feet to see if they are aligned when you pulled it off last time? I have seen them bent and then they won't go through the hole in the motherboard. When that happens that side of the heatsink will be loose like what you are talking about.

That is why I mentioned you should pull the motherboard out of the chassis and check to see if the all the black pegs are showing through the motherboard. Also the white plastic feet will be poking through further than the black pegs. If you don't see this you know the heatsink is not seated correctly.
February 15, 2008 1:34:00 AM

All right I'll try that...but what about my paste issue?
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 15, 2008 1:34:49 AM

No paste is bad. Old paste is almost as bad. Turn it off, get paste, then use the info we gave ya.
February 15, 2008 1:37:30 AM

What I did was buy the heatsink I spoke of along with the paste as well. I'll keep off this computer until they come in. Thanks guys.
February 15, 2008 1:37:45 AM

You'd still need new paste. But if the cooler can be reseated correctly, then there wouldn't be a need to get a new cooler, unless you just want to get it.
February 15, 2008 1:40:07 AM

Okay, well no matter what...this is an issue with the paste/HSF..right? The CPU itself isnt an issue?

Also, do I have to remove the old paste somehow? Or just apply some new paste? Do I just bust some on or is there some special technique?
February 15, 2008 1:52:38 AM

Just remove the old paste with rubbing alcohol and some lintfree paper towel. As for application, the new cooler will come pre applied with paste.
If you really want to do your own paste, there are 2 techniques:
1. put a small drop of paste, about the size of grain of rice, on the center of the heat spreader. Seat cpu cooler.
2. Small drop again, and spread it very thin with something with a flat edge. Then mount the cooler.

The technique doesn't really matter as long as you don't have too little or too much paste on.
February 15, 2008 3:07:46 AM

Thanks. I could do all this while the mobo is still screwed in, right? I should only take it out if the clips don't fit into the mobo like the current heatsink does..?
February 15, 2008 3:13:57 AM

Correct. You may want to remove the CPU from the socket while cleaning it though. It is just easier than reaching inside the chassis.
February 15, 2008 3:19:49 AM

All right... thanks again. I'll update this topic once I get the parts then...(I'm guessing monday)

Edit: How did the temps look for the rest though? Particularly GPU? Also, since I'm adding my own paste, do I have to clean the paste off the new heatsink as well since it comes preapplied? Or do I just stick it on either way?
February 15, 2008 6:15:15 AM

I am surprised nobody here mentioned this already--

The 8400's are known to have bad heat sensors. Heck, mine says it is 55-65C at idle as well... No biggy. It is running cooler then your apps will say.
February 15, 2008 10:05:30 AM

also the 8400 stock heatsink is dire you will be lucky to get the temps in the 60's althogh like the previous poster said the temps are bugged. If you want temps around 40oc load you need a third party heatsink, i got a freezer 7 to replace the crappy stock one
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2008 11:21:58 AM

The shape of the core underneath is different from other processors. That's why they recommend putting a line of thermal paste.
February 15, 2008 11:57:45 AM

No problem guys. Thanks again. But if someone can let me know if the rest of the temps seem okay and whether I should worry about the pre-applied paste with the new heatsink (should be removed?) or not then I'd be grateful.
February 15, 2008 2:06:05 PM

chiadog said:
Well, if you have more thermal paste, go ahead and pull it, grease it up, and reseat it. If not, try undoing the clips and not pull the heatsink off. Then push down on the cpu cooler a little and fasten the clips again.

Edit, I keep editing. Blah. Brain not functioning right now :p 

NEVER! use too much thermal paste, it can have the reverse effect! Just a tiny bit is fine!

PS: Use alcohol to remove the thermal paste that is allready on the CPU, thermal paste dry's if it gets heated up for over an hour, before this vulcanization process the thermal grease is still moist and easy to remove. :) 

best regards
February 15, 2008 2:33:12 PM

Conumdrum said:
CNeufeld, thanks for that info. How does that help? Nice OC, guess thats what you needed.

Considering nobody else was posting the temps for their systems, and his original question was "Is my E8400 overheating", I thought I'd provide the temps from my system. But then I figured I should also let him know that my system wasn't directly comparable to his, since I have an aftermarket cooler and am running overclocked. Still gives him some numbers to consider, though, in terms of where his temps should/could be.

Just trying to provide some information. And as an FYI, my overclock isn't really that good, but it's good enough for me. A lot of other people are getting over 4GHz.

Clint
February 15, 2008 10:26:56 PM

Yeah well...I'm still here if anyone can answer my two questions lol
February 15, 2008 11:25:27 PM

Your GPU temps look fine at idle, but you won't really notice until you run something intensive on it. I think my 8800GTS (G92) got up to 73 when running Need For Speed Carbon, and I wasn't worried about it. The GPU's are able to handle higher temps than CPU's in general. If you didn't take the HS/fan off of it, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're going to overclock it. You could get 3DMark06 from www.futuremark.com and monitor your GPU temps while running that, but I wouldn't do it until you get your CPU temps under control.

As far as the pre-applied paste, you should use either the pre-applied paste OR some other stuff (Arctic Silver or whatever), but not both. And if you remove the HS for whatever reason, you should clean the CPU and HS, and re-apply fresh. IMHO, your CPU temps are high at 73C under load, particularly at stock speeds. At the risk of getting someone's knickers in a twist again, when I first set up my E8400, I ran stock speeds, stock cooler. While running Prime95, I got temps at 43C using SpeedFan, instead of the 40 or 41 I get with my Scythe Ninja overclocked. So what I'm saying is that even with the stock cooler, I wouldn't expect to see temps over 55 or so, and you're 20 degrees over that before you shut it down.

All information is based on my opinion only, your mileage may vary, etc...

Clint
February 16, 2008 11:14:20 PM

Alright...another question...is it possible it's high because my system is entirely new and the temperature would have cooled down eventually?
February 17, 2008 5:06:33 AM

As per the Arctic Silver website (http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm, bottom of page), you might see a 2 to 5 degree (C) drop in temps over the first 200 hours of use. You can google for "thermal compound break-in" for more info/opinions/reviews.

Clint
February 18, 2008 6:00:20 PM

Okay, biiiiig update:

I am posting this from my new computer again. I installed the heatsink without the new paste, just the preinstalled one. However, when I booted up, it did not post. I was scared ****less. I removed it, re put the CPU and then remounted the heatsink using the new gel. I was so frustrated that it wouldn't work that I accidentally bent one push pin, but it still landed in fine afterwards.. and all four are secure. I loaded, and thank freaking goodness everything is okay right now. I did a stress test and the results are still fairly high...
I'm currently taking the stress test and I'm 21 minutes in. The average temps are 66/67 however, and idle it's about 42-45. Its a bit cooler, but nothing big. Maybe I put the new paste wrong? I don't know. But I do know it is cooler, just not by much. It very rarely hits 70 with this stress test so far. I really don't want to remount the heatsink to see if I did the paste wrong because I'm scared of messing up the post signal again somehow. I don't know how that even happened. but I'm 23 minutes in strong and still a stable 66-67. I touched the heatsink like someone mentioned and its not really cool NOR really hot. It's warm, seeming to do its job. Maybe it's just reading it wrong, like some have said?
February 18, 2008 10:40:57 PM

Bump for opinions on what to do. It looks like I'm just going to keep it this way, and if there is an issue I just RMA it under the 3 year warranty...
February 19, 2008 4:02:26 AM

42- 45 is average reading on that chip your okay, mine idles at at 42-43 even though I think its really more like 28 -30 since people are overclocking these to 4.0ghz.
February 19, 2008 6:58:28 AM

Don't worry bout it, yer fine. No matter how many times you remount it or reapply paste, you will probably see little to no difference. As I mentioned earlier the E84's (some) have faulty heat sensors. It is not a big deal.

I have had my E84 overclocked to 3.6ghz for almost a month now and though my temps are generally 55-65c (heck I am 58c right now in idle), everything is just fine. No doubt it is actually running cooler then my programs will say.

You could return it for an exchange, but there is a chance you get another that has the same issue..... but then again it isn't really that big of an issue unless you plan to push it beyond 4ghz =)
February 19, 2008 7:10:10 AM

Here's the thing though. Something, somewhere is reporting the temperatures incorrectly.

I have the E8400 also at stock speeds and with the stock cooler.

My Asus Suite and Speedfan both say idle temps are 28-30C and under load (running two Orthos for ~15 min) they show temps at about 45-47C.

CoreTemp shows idle temps at 45-47C and under load, temps were 61-63C.

Not sure which, if any, are accurate. I remember reading that these 8400's had something funny with the thermal sensor not working right. Not sure if it was just a theory or if it's been proven or not (haven't read anything new about it). So I'm guessing either Speedfan/MoBo software is reporting wrong temps or CoreTemp is.

PS. Bioshock is amazing. ;) 
February 19, 2008 8:05:40 AM

sources said:
One of the clips on the cooler does not want to fit in correctly and keeps popping off

I knew it, this is all to common with Intel's stock cooler. Those pegs sometimes pop out all by themselfs which is why I would by an aftermarket cooler thats held down better at all four corners. To install that stock Intel cooler you must push with great pressure to get those damn pin in all the way.
February 19, 2008 8:11:24 AM

gamebro said:
I am surprised nobody here mentioned this already--

The 8400's are known to have bad heat sensors. Heck, mine says it is 55-65C at idle as well... No biggy. It is running cooler then your apps will say.

The OP already said that one of the four pins was popped out of the hole its supposed to go into.
February 19, 2008 8:20:15 AM

systemlord said:
I knew it, this is all to common with Intel's stock cooler. Those pegs sometimes pop out all by themselfs which is why I would by an aftermarket cooler thats held down better at all four corners. To install that stock Intel cooler you must push with great pressure to get those damn pin in all the way.

And refitting the cooler over and over won't help the cause. The holes on the mobo starts wearing.
February 19, 2008 9:16:00 AM

Vokofpolisiekar said:
And refitting the cooler over and over won't help the cause. The holes on the mobo starts wearing.

I prefer having four thumb screws with one tention spring per screw like the Tuniq Tower 120 and most high-end water cooling systems. This way you can make sure that even pressure is being applied.
February 19, 2008 9:28:35 AM

^^ Yup if you use the stock coolers on your 8400 you might as well just burn the damn Cpu. Whoever decided to be cheap and go with that design is a real A hole. Just toss that little fan away into the trash because the plastic pins will always pop out. Thats what can cause your irregular temperatures and fluck up your CPU. Get either a ultra quiet Zalman, or a cooler master with screws like this one instead of the plastic crappy ones, although some of the aftermarket ones also come with those crappy plastic screws. :pfff: 

:sol: 

Get this or a zalman.
February 19, 2008 4:50:43 PM

I'll look into that in the future. I just spent a lot of money on this new pc and a cooler so I really dont have the ambition to buy some more :( 

The only question is...should I OC to 3.6, or not?
February 19, 2008 5:02:35 PM

sources said:
Bump for opinions on what to do. It looks like I'm just going to keep it this way, and if there is an issue I just RMA it under the 3 year warranty...

That is awfully high when you compare it to what I'm getting. I average around 40-45 prime95 load overcloced to 4050mhz.

What kind of cooling do you have? Are you overclocking? Using stock HSF? What kind of case? Did you mess with voltages? Most up to date bios? Monitoring through what program?

I use speedfan. I also have a thermalright ultra-120 extreme. I used the smallest... and I mean smallest amount of arctic silver 5 thermalgrease possible. People always use to much of this stuff. I just put a little dot in the middle of my cpu and then put the HSF on then gently take it off (dont do this while mobo it mounted unless you have the room to do it) and see how the thermalgrease looks.

Ask yourself this with the thermalgrease: Is it a nice thin even layer? Is the grease spilling over the cpu heatsink? If it is you put to much. Get towel or use finger to wipe up excess. When you mount HSF (once again... this is why the tower coolers work best like a tuniq or thermalright) make sure it's clearly mounted correctly. Not looking at all like it might not be. If you have a plastic mounted HSF like the stock one get rid of it... they never stick.

If all those things are met and you still get a high temp reading than return that chip. You have a defective sensor or just overal chip. It shouldnt be reading that high at all at stock. I would advice you to return it after you do some investigation yourself. Dont listen to people saying "oh that's alright... anything under 70 is ok!" well it's not and you will end up not happy with overclocks and definitely unhappy with system crashes. Even if it's just the sensor I would return it... why pay for a bad proc when you can get a new one from a fresh batch!
February 19, 2008 8:18:41 PM

sources said:
The only question is...should I OC to 3.6, or not?

If you wanted to overclock you should have bought a CPU cooler designed for overclocking, instead you were happy with the stock cooler which isn't much of an overclocker. Which PC case do you own? Here is the case with five 120mm case fans and CPU cooler I bought for overclocking my whole system. You can't OC much with that tiny Intel cooler. You don't have to spend $300 on a PC case to OC though, I recommend if you are really wanting to OC get the Antec 900 for $119.99 at NewEgg and a Tuniq Tower for $44.99.

By Systemlord at 2007-11-14

By systemlord at 2007-12-22

Tuniq Tower 120

By systemlord at 2007-11-13

By systemlord at 2007-11-13
!