Sign in with
Your question

Windows system restore denied by group policy

Last response: in Windows XP
June 27, 2010 11:44:07 PM

Help!

Had to do a factory reset of my Lenovo X61 tablet and am now unable to set system restore points.

How do fix this ?
June 28, 2010 1:39:30 AM

There's a few places to look...

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>System Restore Tab,
Make sure the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" checkbox is Un-Checked

Start>Run>Gpedit.msc>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>System Restore,
Both entries should be either "Not Configured" or "Disabled" ("Enabled" means no system restore)

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.
If a "DisableSR" value doesn't exist, go to the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value, and create the value.
Set the value to 1 to disable System Restore or 0 to enable System Restore.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr to prevent the System Restore service from starting.
Double-click Start, and set the value to 4 to stop the service from starting or to 0 for normal startup. Close the registry editor.
June 28, 2010 11:27:04 AM

Many thanks; that seems to have worked!

For info;

1. I couldn't go with

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>System Restore Tab,
Make sure the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" checkbox is Un-Checked

because of the group policy disable.

2. I couldn't go with

Start>Run>Gpedit.msc>Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>System Restore,
Both entries should be either "Not Configured" or "Disabled" ("Enabled" means no system restore)

because there was no System folder and hence template for System Restore. Does that seem odd?

3. I solved it with

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore.
If a "DisableSR" value doesn't exist, go to the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value, and create the value.
Set the value to 1 to disable System Restore or 0 to enable System Restore.

Then cross-checked using

4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr

& saw that the value had been reset to 0 by doing option 3 above.

Does it seem odd that there was no System folder and hence no template for System Restore in option 2?

Many thanks !!

Lester
Related resources
June 28, 2010 1:13:44 PM

No System folder in Gpedit??? This is odd. Make a person wonder what else they may be missing.
June 28, 2010 6:26:03 PM

tigsounds said:
Make a person wonder what else they may be missing.

Quite a few things in a Tablet that you'd expect to find in a full-size system.

!