Sign in with
Your question

C2D E6600 Really Hot

Last response: in CPUs
February 15, 2008 12:39:43 AM

Hello All,

The question i have today is reguarding my CPU temperature readings from "CoreTemp" and "SpeedFan"..

My system specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (Conroe) B2 Stepping @ 2.4Ghz with standard voltage (v1.325) (Intel HSF/Stock Cooling)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-S3
Memory: 2GB Team-Elite DDR2 800Mhz PC2-6400 @ 400Mhz 5-5-5-16 ( FSB : DRAM 2.3 )
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB @ Stock Cores
Other: LG SATA Dual Layer DVD Burner 18x, Segate 320 Gig SATA 2 Hard Drive.
Current PC Case: Raidmax Ninja Case (Not new case, didn't really check the CPU temperatures idle or load when bought the case so can't compare).. pretty much just saying the physical condition it has been lugged around alot to LAN partys
Current Power Supply: ICMEX 550W - Came with case

The problem is my temperature readings are about 50-55c degrees celsius for my CPU when idle.
My current house ambient temperature is 25c usually about 25-30c during the day here in Australia.

But was 35-40c before i installed the new video card (nVidia GeForce 8800GT card).. ive been told the 8800GT adds alot of heat to the computer.
Obviously the load temperatures are really bad 60-70c.. and the only way i have been able to use the PC without overheating is reducing the vCore (Voltage) on the CPU via Bios to v1.15000 insted of the 1.32500 standard.
Which then reduces the heat back to 45-50c insted of 50-55c by reducing the voltage of CPU back to v1.15000 (Question: Will this reduce the FPS in gaming or load times by reducing the Voltage?)
The CPU HSF is seated correct i have made sure all the pins (Crappy stock plastic pins) were in place on the Motherboard so the HSF is locked in tightly.

I think something may be wrong here.. but i am purchasing a Zalman CNPS9700 CPU Cooler and hoping that will fix some of the problem and also going to purchase a new case and PSU (Antec Nine Hundred ATX Gaming Case and OCZ GameXStream 1010W SLI Power Supply).

The few problems i feel are there is (Maybe) -

- The case doesn't allow enough air flow and the Power Supply isn't enough for all my pc components (Note: Look above for my current power supply and case).

- The new video card that was installed is not supported or suited for my system with the power supply/case i have currently.

- Or i don't have the correct voltages or something setup in bios correctly. (Although i have tried running the fail-save defaults etc. which loads Virtualization, Enhanced Halt State (C1E) etc.)

I would like to know if someone could point out a few problems that may cause my heat problem and if its safe to run the CPU at these voltages, wasn't sure if my CPU was listed under the Temperature Guide in the forums or couldn't find it.

Thanks alot,
Cameron-mc.

More about : c2d e6600 hot

February 15, 2008 6:42:05 PM

If E6600 is already running at 35~40C before 8800GT was put in, then your CPU can run up to 70C under load with 8800GT. In other words, it is perfectly normal how 8800GT can affect your CPU temperature. When I put my 8800GTS 320Mb into my computer, the motherboard temperature skyrocketed to 45C from 30C, and CPU temperature from 28C to 40C.

To improve this, you can try taking the side panel off to increase fresh air flow in your case, or you can make a exclusive air duct to your CPU fan. Other than that, you can also purchase aftermarket CPU cooler at about 30~50USD.

EDIT: Unless the CPU clocked is also decreased as you lower your Vcore, you will not see any difference in CPU performance. However, keep in mind that 1.15V is a little too low for E6600. You would need at least 1.25~1.3V to ensure a stable performance.

70C is indeed hot for a CPU, but if you don't stress it that much for a prolonged period of time (like 24/7), then you should be fine. Keep in mind though, overheating also tend to lead to instability.
February 16, 2008 5:16:43 AM

Just my 2 cents.

Looking at your PC case, is it this one?

It seems you have a side fan thats only blowing on top of the 9700, and really is not helping in air flow. Kinda wonder if the Zalman fan is actually going to having problems. And what I mean by that is if it is being slowed down from the pressure the side fan is putting on it. I think the design of that case was to help air get pushed in for a stock HSF that blows on the MB, not inline with the exhaust fan that it does have on the rear.

Also, not sure if you have a front intake fan installed, since the pic shows none installed, and that HD cage doesn't help.

I'd recommend shutting the side fan off, adding a front intake fan (and if you can, remove the HD cage and get a HD bracket for the 5'25 slot), and also getting a slot fan to help reduce the heat loop your having with the 8800 GT. Something like this should be good:

Thermaltake TMG SL1 A2414 80mm Blue LED Dual PCI Slot Fan

Now one con of that fan is, it does take up 2 slots. There are single slot fans that do the same job, as long as the single slot fan pushes hot air out, and not bring cool air in from the rear. So take that as an example. The main point is to get a good airflow going through that case with the side panel on.

Hope that helps.

Edit:

Since all 8800 GT cards have different style of stock HSF, it's also important how the slot fan sits between the video card and the slot fan. That should also be taken into consideration. Examples are:

and

So just mess around with the fans to see if you can improve the airflow. Never know what you can come up with to help cool the system.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 16, 2008 6:16:00 AM

I replaced my stock cooler with an Asus Silent Knight, and am running at 3GHz at stock vcore (on an E6600). My temps are the same as yours (scary thought considering my cooler is 3x bigger :lol: ). I have been folding for 2-3 days now and I'm running at 65-70C with no stability problems. Realistically, unless your CPU is going upwards of 80C (allowing room for our great country's 40+C summer days, which were missing this year strangely) there isn't anything to worry about. I don't even trust my temps as I know a Q6600 can run in the same system and load in crysis at the same temp my CPU idles. If your CPU is too hot, it would be throttling.

Some people think there was a bad batch of E6600s, although I don't know what week(s) those were supposed to have been manufactured in.
February 16, 2008 6:55:03 AM

As suggested, take the side off your case. If this makes a big difference, make sure you have a balance of fans blowing in and out.
If it makes only a little difference, you have a cooler problem.
The first place to look is the fins on your heatsink. If they are covered with dust, they have lost a lot of thier ability to disapate heat. The blades of the fan are also important, as dust thier will affect air movement and fan speed.
While lowering v-core is a good way to reduce heat, it becomes far more likely that your system will be less stable.
Heat can also cause random errors, so reduced voltage and overheating is a guarantee of crashing.
That zalman is a very nice unit. When using any heatpipe setup, remember that heat rises, so make sure that the point where the pipes meet the base is the lowest point.
In other words, it helps a lot if you bend the fan area up a bit, before instalation.
Remeber to keep it clean.
February 16, 2008 7:49:47 AM

had an E6300 like that. considered lapping, but then just sold it to some dude who was never gonna overclock or play games. bad batch, whatcha gonna do.
February 17, 2008 7:54:01 AM

@ Grimmy, The case in the picture is my case but the fans are different.. there is about 3 fans in my case and then the CPU cooler (Stock HSF).

I also took the CPU cooler off the E6600 to see if the thermal grease was alright and noticed.. there is a few spots were the thermal grease has worn away (Not the best words to describe it) but it looks like there is hardly any grease left on the chip/HS. but dont matter tomorrow my new CPU cooler is coming.
a c 127 à CPUs
February 17, 2008 8:03:26 AM

Yea a better HSF is in order. The stock +few fans + an 8800GT = too hot for me. I have a Radeon HD2900Pro and it runs hotter than a 8800GT and my idle temps are 32c and load is 50-55c.

Depending on what HSF you got you should see a 10-15c drop both ways(idle and load). The Zalman CPNS 9700 will do wounders for your CPU if you got that one. Just make sure you face it the right way. The fan should be towards the front of your case with a nice fan pulling airfrom behind it.

Also lowering the CPU voltage will not effect anything except the temperature and the stability. You might want to check with Prime95 cuz that voltage looks a bit too low for a B3 Q6600. I have my Q6600 GO @ 3GHz stable at stock voltage.
February 19, 2008 3:31:11 PM

Hello guys, got my Zalman CNPS9700 NT and my idle temps are now at 24-25c.. :)  pimpin..

Instead of 45-50c and I'm thinking of changing case to the Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2008 10:31:34 PM

Very nice, wish mine was like that. I'm gonna try and get mine to load at 77-78C through overclocking, that will be as far as I go because beyond that my overclock will end up being an underclock :lol: 
!