AMD Auction possibilities

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Networth
Nvidia $12.73 billion,
AMD $3.63 billion,
IBM around $150 billion

THG article was so good. AMD: To merge or not to merge?

Wow nVidia is far richer than AMD. AMD is older than nVidia.... I never thought a GPU company could be that profitable than multi product AMD

I rather vote for AMD/IBM merger. If nVidia takes over AMD/ATI then no more GPU can challenge the price of nVidia. We know how pricy the nVidia when it feels he is the fastest.

In anycase, it will come to reality then Intel will become the underdog then. AMD/Nvidia/ATI platform only compatible by itself. Hahaha Intel users will be forced to use Intel intergrated GPU or maybe the rebirth of S3 GPU. Very unhealthy market competition would arise.

The only problem between Nvidia-AMD buyout is the x86 license. It cannot be.

IBM is the potential partner then. With its full asset capability it can make a better GPU, CPU products in the future. Then our market will remain competitive. Good for consumers at the end.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Are x86 right really that big a deal for a potential buyer?

Considering the history neither AMD, Cyrix*, Centaur* or Via had the rights when they started producing x86 compatible processors and yet Intel settled out of court to give them the rights. Sure it's diffrent times but Intels biggest fear is still that someone makes a better instruction set and makes x86 obsolete.
Someone who would buy AMD would certainly have the ressources and people to make that instruction set and if needed fight for the rights to make it x86 and x64 compatible in the courts.

So perhaps Samsung isn't such a longshot afterall...

*CPU makers of the past currently owned by Via and AMD

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
GET LIVES PEOPLE!!

Why do you come onto this forum and say this all the time?

It's a hardware enthusiast site, what do you expect? It's funny that you tell people to get lives while you sit here and post and read.

ro3dog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
For those who sit back and think that AMD is dying or needs to be bought to stay alive are really short sited.AMD is all over the market and is more looking at the gpu market .I'm seeing the Phenom as not the market of great importance like people are saying,yes they will still sell them for money is money.They will be breaking even this year folks.AMD is more embarassed by Nvidia than Intel market wise ,which makes Nvidia the one to get.R700 without a doubt will be a monster.Nvidia knows this and Intel is watching

Kari

Splendid
How about Nokia? They are really getting into the ultra mobile multimedia/games stuf... Desktop pcs would be completely new terrain for them but what the heck, they could probably shovel out enough cash to buy AMD and pay their debts in one go. lol

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I think it would be cool if AMD figures out all of the issues with Phenom and gets it fixed and brings it up to the level of performance that they expected in the first place. Maybe to a level that could compete and break even this year.

Another thing, why doesn't AMD take ques from Intel like Intel takes from AMD. I mean, look at Intel coming out with IMC , why wouldn't AMD try out Intels cache scheme? Seems to work for Intel? Also why not a AMD double cheese burger.

If they would swollow their pride and just do what works We wouldn't be talking about take over.

I am sure the more technical people can explain why some of Intels ideas wont work with AMD architecture, Im not that knowledgeable but would like to know.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I think Hector's mismanagement cause further the downfall of the company. He should vacate his position if he is selfless person.

@cah027
Simple reason, its the management pride. During old days, AMD follows the standards of Intel. They copy everything whats inside of Intel and somehow tweak some of it. But until the Athlon glory days they decide to make their own path even if it leads to worst. How pathetic management. Maybe one day they end up selling GPU only.

@tlmck
Its transmeta. I have already seen some of its product but its like K6 design thing with huge L2 cache (1MB I think) clocked at 500-800Mhz only with performance rating 1Ghz-1.6Ghz.
It is available of cheap laptops. I better bet for VIA's new processor but I think it still can't capture the market. The problem is we need new motherboard.

tlmck

Distinguished
No. This is a totally new product from some of the same folks.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
This rumor had been said and done more times than my hands and toes combined, yet none of them came out. I don't think AMD will be bought in the short run, not until they sink slightly lower than they currently is.

BTW, Theo's article is probably the worst article I've ever seen on THG. He basically compiled news and opinions on the internet, put them into a single article, then put his name on it. He's only second worse to Charlie Demerjian.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
@yomamafor1
Really? I have no idea about that article stuff but I think it is more precise than any speculative statement I ever read about AMD sinking.

What if the B3 stepping will only speedup 10% than B2 which has a gap of 20% (safe measure) compared to Q6600 still slower. Does this leads to AMD extinction? Since it wont lead to profitable and the debt widens everyday.

@tlmck
Yes, its new sorry. But I think it will be released under Transmeta brand. Their engineers are from K6 designer, Pentium MMX as far as I know.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

This is one of the more recent ones.
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/01/25/no-truth-to-ibm-amd-acquisition-rumors Jan 08

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35289/128/ Dec 07

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6250 Feb 07

You get the point.

TBH, I never expect a large performance boost in B3 revision, and if I remember correctly, AMD stated they expect B3 to correct TLB bugs, and allow higher clocks. Other improvements will have to wait for 45nm.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20080208183158_AMD_Plans_to_Introduce_New_AMD_Phenom_Chips_in_April_Source.html
After a Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB)-related erratum was discovered in AMD Phenom microprocessors and AMD had to impose a fix that reduced performance of the CPUs, Advanced Micro Devices announced a new B3 stepping of the chip with bug corrected without performance degradation...

Earlier this week it was reported that virtually all AMD Phenom processors based on the B3 stepping are due in May or June with AMD Phenom 9950 at 2.60GHz scheduled to arrive sometime in the third quarter.

If B3 performs exactly as AMD stated, then AMD will slightly alleviate their current situation. Although still not holding the performance crown, the delay will not only permit them to tweak Phenom enough to allow higher clocks, they can also tweak the process node to have less variance. The hardest part of AMD's survival is now solely depended on their 45nm parts performance (which does NOT look promising at all), and their management's performance. Intel's Nehalem will present the most difficulties of all. Also, the "Swift" generation of CPU needs to be competitive, not only pricing wise, but also performance wise.

GET LIVES PEOPLE!!

LOL. Bytch doesn't want you hurting AMD's poor little feelings. Remember, they're a non-profit company; they don't have any profits!