HDMI Out to TV?

folius

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I have two 8800GT in SLI on a Asus P5N32-E SLI Mobo. Im curious because I want to output stuff to a TV so I can lay on my bed and play games with a wireless keyboard/mouse.

I was looking around and found DVI-D -> HDMI converters and what not. But will these work outputting directly from my 8800's to my TV? And will these run decently well without much lag on my TV? Mostly for playing MMOs and leizure games, not stuff like crysis/cod4/tf2.

I have yet to get my new TV, im still looking around. But im leaning twards a sony bravia if it makes any difference?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
It depends on your TV as to whether or not it will run smooth. Two 8800GT in SLI can easily output 1920x1200+ resolutions, so it will easily run on any 1080p HDTV that you output it to. (You may get a 60" 1080p HDTV, but the resolution is still 1900x1080)

Now, other factors will affect the quality of your games on an TV. (Mainly resolution) You'd also want to check the TV out and make sure it doesn't blur when there is a lot of motion. This, of course, will make for a terrible gameplay experience.

Also, if you get a new TV - You want 1080p. Don't fall for that 1080i... its just 720p. (Basically you only get 1386x720 upscaled to 1900x1080 which = loss of qaulity)

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
You have might other problems than what the poster above has mentioned. Nvidia's cards seem to overscan images depending on the the TV, which you will have to use Nvidia's "Resize my Desktop" feature. This brings up two issues.

1. The Resize my Desktop wasn't availible on the g80 series, but I'm not sure if they unlocked it for the g92 series. So you might have to do the registry hack.

2. When you do the "Resize my Desktop", you are setup with a custom resolution which will be a total pain in the ass because some things won't support it.

I've been using a 7900GS on my HDTV for about a year and a half. It was a great card, but it was pretty annoying on my HDTV. I recently switched over to an ATI 2900Pro and none of those problems I have mentioned are a problem at all. I also had problems with the image quality on my HDMI to DVI with that card, but I have no trouble with it on my new ATI card.

I still think it's worth a try for the low price of an HDMI to DVI cable. Monoprice.com has the best prices.

folius

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Well... I know I have the "resize my desktop" and "set custom resolutions" in my nForce control panel. So those are not a problem. I can also set the VHz to what the TV is made for...

Thx for the advice, I will try these.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I'm currently running a 8800 gt to a 37" TV...It works flawlessly as far as I can tell.

Proper reporting of all available resolutions...in game, and in windows.

Crysis is really fun...and has very nice saturated colors and contrast range.

(I'm using an DVI to HDMI converter)

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I tried it with my 46" Sony Bravia... it didn't work. make it through boot, and the win XP splash screen. As soon as it leaves the splash screen, it black screens. This is apparently a common problem with dvi -> hdmi conversion cables.

I would recommend trying a dvi -> 3 plug RCA RGB cable. It's what my TV supports for PC inputs anyway. The only other option that I've seen is to get an hdmi AV receiver (expensive).

Hope that helps...

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Instead of using a DVI to Component. Just use the HDTV adapter that comes with the 8800GT. That's what I had to use for my 7900GS. You can get a cheap set of component cables from Monoprice.com

@PlasticSas not all people have the problems I have described, but it's a pretty big issue and there's a lot of buzz about it on the Nvidia forums. Some TV's that allow you to adjust v and h size are obviously not susceptible to this problem. Unfortunately not all TV's have that and even then it still might not work. I'm glad they fixed the "Resize my Desktop" issue with the 8800 series, I'd just wish they didn't make custom resolutions and instead use ATI's much better overscan compensation method.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I tried it with my 46" Sony Bravia... it didn't work. make it through boot, and the win XP splash screen. As soon as it leaves the splash screen, it black screens. This is apparently a common problem with dvi -> hdmi conversion cables.
I'm almost willing to be that is due to the PC trying to project an unsupported resolution to your TV. If the PC is transmitting in the native res of the TV, it usually won't display at all.

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007

I'm about 99% sure you're correct. That's why I'm going to run it through the "PC" inputs on my TV. Those should work regardless as the RGB port is just for PC inputs.

EDIT:
Currently i'm trying to connect my audio to the TV too. div I don't think transmits that does it? I have a spidif out on my PC, but i'm not sure my TV supports it... any recommendations to properly push the audio from the PC to the TV? of do I need an audio card?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Currently i'm trying to connect my audio to the TV too. div I don't think transmits that does it? I have a spidif out on my PC, but i'm not sure my TV supports it... any recommendations to properly push the audio from the PC to the TV? of do I need an audio card?

DVI doesn't transmit sound like HDMI does. That's why it's going to be phased out by 09' or 2010' in favor of HDMI. What kind of audio inputs does your TV have available?

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
so pink to L/R?
it would work, but I may as well just use the pink cable. I'll at least hook that up for now. I really need a S/PDIF compatible receiver...

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

I know, finally digital sound and video over the same cable....there are already wireless HDMI solutions hitting places like CES...

anywho...the TV itself I'm pretty sure only has L,R phono plug (RCA) inputs...but that doesn't matter...I have an optical audio out on my Mobo and feed it to my Denon Receiver...

3-driver fronts, 2-driver rears, a 16-driver line array center channel, and a 15" sealed subwoofer custom built by yours truly...when a grenade goes off in crysis or COD...it's quite convincing. :eek: