Need help Choosing OS

mohikangamer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Hardware arrive today, but still need an OS. Already have xp, but need vista for Dx10 and vista only games (like Halo2)Cant decide between vista x86 or x64. Rig will be use 100% gaming, no multimedia or video encoding, and currently have a Intel E8400 cpu, and 2gb of memory. Im not planing going Quad core, at least for this year.Wish os you guys recommend for better gaming performance, Vista x86 or x64. will my Creative Xfi have problems with x64?I will purchase two more 2gb if vista x64 is the best choice.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Personally, I think I'd go with Vista 32 bit, why? Well, for me, I think there are less compatibility problems, particularly with printers, etc, but there again, everyone will say well you can only use such and such amount of memory, true. But myself? I'm running 2 gb of ram myself, and I read 2 gb seems to be the "sweet spot" for Vista.

My system is an Athlon x2 5200, and 2 gb of ram, 320 gb sata hard drive, and 7300 LE video card(which is the next upgrade btw), but really man, it's blazing fast. I think you actually take a little performance hit when going to 64 bit. I think 64 bit is getting there, but I also think that 32 bit is still better b/c of the stuff listed above, but myself, I will probably finally move to 64 bit when it's almost a "have to" when I know they have the bugs ironed out. B/c if I can get most of the same features everyone else does, and I'm running the 32 bit and less probs, why not?

poup23

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
You don't need to go for Vista for now, even less x64, since you only got 2 GB of memory, but if have to buy one now, go for the one that will cover all future upgrades. So in your position, I might choose the Vista 64 version, for DX10 and a further concern about using 4 GB of memory.

And yes, your creative X-Fi should have x64 signed drivers. I'm currently running a Creative X-Fi Xtreme under Vista Business 64 and all is running fine.

It's best to order the OS with the hardware. You can get the OEM version, system builder's license. I hear you cannot get if you forget to order it at the same time. I hope I am wrong. Otherwise you will have to buy the retail version which is more expensive.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Stick with Vista x86 for now, or even XPPro x86 is good. Unless you absolutely need x64, I wouldn't worry about it. The drivers is one issue, also I bet that most of the games you want to play, won't work on Vista x64. For now stick with a x86 OS.

crashed97tsi

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I run Vista x64 ultimate since the day it came out. Most of the issues are long gone. My Printer, Video Card, RAM, etc all work fine and flawlessly. Here are the issues I've noticed that you will need to be aware of if you are planning on going 64-bit.

1. Game Compatability - Any Game I have that runs in Vista, runs in x64 vista. If it does not work with Vista , (Such as Dungeon Siege 2), then it will not run with x86 or x64

2. SOund Blaster - Creative was an absolute nightmare in both XP and Vista ( I was an early adopter of the X-Fi Series). THe issues seemed to have been resolved since fall of 2007 but I do occasionally get a crash caused (at least in part) by the X-Fi.

3. Performance hit - Although I cannot confirm this as I have never specifically tested for it, I have not noticed a performance hit for Vista 64-bit as opposed to Vista 32-bit. The biggest drawback right now as far as 64-bit goes, IMHO, is that there really are only a few programs that take advantage of its benefits.

4. Fix-packs - Whatever version of Vista you choose, it is ESSENTIAL that you download the fixpacks. They are not on Windows Update, you will have to manually search for them and install.

If you buy an OEM version of XP/Vista from NewEgg they will include a $1.00 hardware part just to make the purchase "legal" under the OEM license.

100% gaming says Vista/32 to me.