Sign in with
Your question

Purple tint on everything

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2008 4:47:27 PM

Hello,
A purplish tint, sort of a darkish overshadow, has seemed to have taken over my computer - on everything... here's what happened (I hope someone can help!!!):

Was playing a video game, called "Insurgency", a *beta-stage* mod for Half-Life 2. Suddently I noticed that the sky was flickering to a darkish tint, and then it went away for a few seconds. A few moments later, the entire screen became overshadowed with a heavy purple tint, and has been so since that strange time.

I have restarted several times, and updated my video card graphic drivers to see if it could fix it. I did a screen degauss, and more importantly checked the colors through my monitor options. Red, green, and blue all were at the same level, reading @ 62. So they were even, at least my monitor says. Im my searching for answers online, I found that my operating system (Vista 64), has apparantly had some occurances with this new "purple screen of death", but not exactly since the beta stages.

WHOA - JUST NOW, as I'm writing this, the screen flickered back and forth to the normal shading for a second or two, and then right back to this purple overshadow. It's been in the purple shading for some time now, and this is the first it's fickered.. didn't stay, but man how ironic as I describe it here!

And lastly, here's my specs:
Vista 64 / 8800GTS / Intel CPU
Nothing was out of the ordinary in the recent few days really... especially nothing today. No new installations, no nothing.. really spontaneous. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

More about : purple tint

February 4, 2008 5:23:25 PM

Did you check your monitor cable?
February 4, 2008 5:27:14 PM

Hey man,
Yes, I had some fun fidgiting with it, but my efforts were fruitless unfortunately. I made sure to watch the screen as I plugged/replugged componants back together too, in hopes to get it to at least flicker... to my avail nothing happened. Very frustrating!

I saw in a thread a little while ago that a possibility is that my CRT has burned out partially. I've had this ol' $125 Best Buy CRT for years now, and I suppose it could possibly be that. But the weird thing was that after it was tinted for some time, it flickered once back to normal for a second before returning to this purple state. Leaves me stumped, but then again I really don't have too much computer knowledge or experience. Thanks for the input though, it is appreciated!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 4, 2008 5:44:33 PM

I've got something like that happening with an 8-port KVM at work. It's an LCD, but we've got the whole "purple screen" thing and it's ended up being a connection inside the monitor.

Quote:
I saw in a thread a little while ago that a possibility is that my CRT has burned out partially. I've had this ol' $125 Best Buy CRT for years now, and I suppose it could possibly be that. But the weird thing was that after it was tinted for some time, it flickered once back to normal for a second before returning to this purple state. Leaves me stumped, but then again I really don't have too much computer knowledge or experience. Thanks for the input though, it is appreciated!
I also had something like this happen to an old TV. First it turned bluish-purple, then it started to get worse. It was just slowly burning out as described above.
February 4, 2008 5:56:16 PM

That is what happens when you smoke the purple haze and no that is not your monitor. It should wear off in a few hours... :) 
February 4, 2008 7:13:37 PM

rgeist554 said:
I've got something like that happening with an 8-port KVM at work. It's an LCD, but we've got the whole "purple screen" thing and it's ended up being a connection inside the monitor.

Quote:
I also had something like this happen to an old TV. First it turned bluish-purple, then it started to get worse. It was just slowly burning out as described above.

Darn man, I had feared this... my good ol' workhorse is going to the graveyard. Man, this bites. I think I'm experiencing that same thing too about it getting worse. I just got back to my place, and it's definitly a darker tint. Before it was a dark reddish/purple, and now it's a deeper shadow overcasting. Thanks for the help - I think it's just what I needed to hear.
February 4, 2008 7:14:58 PM

jnava121 said:
That is what happens when you smoke the purple haze and no that is not your monitor. It should wear off in a few hours... :) 

I confronted my CRT with this, but to no avail. I asked repeatedly, "Do you smoke! Just answer the question!" I think he's waiting until his lawyer arrives. Not cool man, he's a hard-baller.
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 4, 2008 7:18:31 PM

I have had this i took the monitor off and conected another one no sign of the problem re attached the origonal monitor and it was back to normal, My sugestion would be to unplug it and give it some time couple of mins to let the internal charge dissapate and then reconect it. I know you said you played with the cables but the letting it sit bit is important.
It may not work but it did for me.
Good luck with it and be sure to post the fix if you find one
Mactronix
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2009 7:31:08 PM

I just had the tinted purple screen after moving my computer about and having a look inside, and thought I'd share my "solution" with you guys: the monitor cable at the computer's end when bent at centrain angles makes the screen tinted purple. There's something wrong my my monitor cable! The exact spot on the cable where the fault is may be tricky to find which is why many of you might have dismissed this as a possible cause.

I know the people who've posted in this thread have no doubt fixed your purple screens by now, but just thought I'd add this reply in for those of you out there who like me search random posts on the internet in a desperate search for an answer.

January 9, 2013 11:48:49 PM

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd comment. I was having this problem but then I turned the screen off then turned it back on. No more purple. Problem solved :) 
!