*Pulls Hair Out*

fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
So I finally got my parts for my new build. So freakin excited. But...no case!

Wow, such a cruel joke. Is there nobody up there that likes me?

Case should be here tomorrow I hope, but man, I have to wait til then? With all these shiny new parts sitting on my desk, staring at me, begging me to use them. ARG

Just wanted to vent.

fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Yeah I was trying to figure out a way to put it together like that, maybe place the MoBo on top of it's box (with or without the static bag under, not sure). It's really just the MoBo I'm worried about. Never powered up a system with the MoBo not inside a case the way it should be. Other parts like HDD's and PSU's I've used while not secured in a case so that's no big deal.

Just not sure if it's a really bad idea or not. Normally I would say yes it is, but my impatience is clouding my judgement.

aquadisaster

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
in high school we were making comps out of p2 cpus and i decided to build mineout of a cardboard box.. it was a cardboard box tower and it ran great. But our teacher asked my group to take it apart a week later cuz he said it "could" pose as a fire risk.

sailer

Splendid
As I remember, a poster by the name of Apt401 used a cardboard box for his case for a couple years before he finally bought a real case. But in your case (pun intended), just get a hold of yourself and take a patience pill. You case will be here soon enough and then you can start building.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
It's only one day. Unless you bought a case with a removable motherboard tray it might not be worth the hassle because you will need to take everything back apart in order to put it in the case although you could get a jumpstart on installing the OS. If you do, just set the mobo on the box it came in. It should work just fine. Just be careful since it won't be quite as secure.

Build it outside the case! You ought to do it anyway as a way to check all the componants before installing them in case. A DOA MOBO isn't all that rare. You'll really be pulling your hair out if you put it all in the case and then no boot.

Just be sure to put the MOBO on a non-conductive surface and then, to be safe, put some makeshift spacers under the board so that a little air can circulate under it.

This way you can check everything and get an OS installed and have a little fun before the case comes. Like I say, it's good building policy to 'breadboard' first anyway.

Of course you start it up by manually shorting the start switch pins on the MOBO.

fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
You know, that kind of reasoning isn't helpful in my current state. ;) You do make a compelling argument though.

What would be a good makeshift spacer to put under the MoBo? Would it be ok just to lay the MoBo down on cardboard box without any spacers?

Like I said, that's the only thing that worries me. I can start it using a screwdriver, have everything sitting flat on the desk or a piece of cardboard, done all of that before.

Just sucks because I took the day off so I could devote it to setting it up, installing OS, installing Apps, etc.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Yes, cardboard is non-conductive, so you can put your motherboard on it without fear of shorting out anything. Just make sure your motherboard is level and all your stuff is plugged in properly - you wouldn't want your videocard falling our while the PC is on (although it IS locked in place...).

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Build outside the case first. A good thick phonebook will work to put the motherboard on. I build all my comps that way and load the OS & MB drivers just to make sure all is well.

fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Got a quick question. Just going through all the parts now, and I see a jumper on the HDD. Looking at the label, it says that the jumper limits it to 1.5GB/s operation, but with no jumper it is 3GB/s. I'm going to assume that I can take that jumper out right?

Just asking because I don't remember ever seeing that before. Course it's been about 5 years since I last built a computer.

fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I'm just gonna set it up tonight without the case. Enough people have saying that it's ok has convinced me. I'll just make sure to be extra careful with it.

Will probably just lay the MoBo flat on its box. Don't have any kids, hence no lego parts laying around to use. Heheh. Which reminds me, I gotta get me some legos...I miss them.

I suggested spacers because if you run the PC for an extended period it just might get rather hot on the underside, since paper and cardboard are such good insulators. I use a few plastic bottle caps to lift it up a bit. I don't know if you really need to do this but I did have a MOBO go up in smoke on me once when I left it highly overclocked and running on a phone book. Probably just bad luck but it cant hurt. Gets your video card flange off the surface too which might otherwise push the card up out of the slot.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

Yes, you should remove the jumper. Since this is a new build your motherboard will support 3Gb/s. To be absolutely sure, just check the mobo box and if it says SATA300, SATA2, SATA3Gb/s, or something along those lines, you're good.

It's just for a night, he should have no problem.

fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Ok...Another stupid question...but bare with me, as I said it's been a looong time since my last build.

Should I use the 4pin ATX12v or 8pin EPS12v power? I can use either one with my MoBo but I'm not sure which is made for what. Tried a search but all I've seen is PSU listings. I have an E8400 and a 3850 GPU, which I guess matters because the plug in question is for 12V.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
use the 8pin. there should be a plastic cover on the other 4 on the MB. just take it off. if your talking about your graphics card I beleive they are six pin connectors.
Mine wouldnt post til I used the 8 pin connector and the 24 pin on the MB
always listen to notherdude. hes helped me tremendously