Help Overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (2.0GHZ) to 2.5 GHZ

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
  • Power Supplies
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
August 11, 2008 2:31:51 AM

Ok, I have absolutely no overclocking experience, however I'm very computer savvy in general.

I'm looking to overclock my stock "AMD Athlon X2 3800+ (2GHZ retail)"

I'm going to be putting in a 750Watt Power Supply Monday Afternoon to support my GeForce 8800 GT (I'm getting a deal on this lol).

ANYWAY, I'm looking to overclock my Processor to 2.5 GHZ (atleast)

I have a "Gateway GT5028 Media Center Edition" computer.

The only changes that have been made so far are:

I've added 1Gig of ram. (I'm currently at 2.5 Gigs of ram)
I'm going to add a 750Watt Power Supply (Currently at 300 Watt)
going to add a Geforce 8800 GT. (Currently at GeForce 6100)

I would like to know:

1)What Programs I need, If Any
2)A Step by Step process on how to overclock
3)If this specific processor is already known, what values to use
4)An explanation on what those values are, and where to put them
5)I've heard of bios locks? Could someone explain if this concerns me?
6) What is this specific Processor capable of overclocking to?

I've searched all over and Can't find any information on this.

MANY thanks in advance

IF I HAVE TO GIVE ANY MORE INFORMATION PLEASE TELL ME

More about : overclocking amd athlon 3800 0ghz ghz

August 11, 2008 2:16:41 PM

auscanzukus...a guide to OC Intel is not going to help him.
Related resources
August 11, 2008 2:26:06 PM

i just got rid of an amd 4200x2,i think it's base clock was 2ghz ?? and i o'clocked it to 2.3ghz just by changing the multiplier ,for such a small o'clock it did not seem worth the trouble to spend a ton of time fooling around,you know the KISS principle,anyhow there tons of sites full of overclocking stuff use your favourite search engine,you'll find out a lot more than you want but it will be very interesting and maybe even phunn.:>)
August 11, 2008 2:31:55 PM

Does no one want to tell him that he can't OC a Gateway because those options have been disabled in the BIOS?
August 11, 2008 2:34:01 PM

sadly rodney is correct, most OEMs dont allow overclocking
August 11, 2008 2:42:21 PM

even if that bios does allow for raising the fsb its other overclocking options will be absent.....no way will you be able to change the core voltage etc.
August 11, 2008 2:50:12 PM

Sadly? Ha. I love bursting people's bubbles on this topic. I'm thinking maybe really high end Dell XPSs have these options in their BIOS enabled, but most off-the-shelf computers (Dell, Lenovo, Gateway, HP, etc) have all OC'n options disabled... after all, they do have to warranty their stuff.
August 11, 2008 2:50:12 PM

If your chipset is nVIDIA try using ntune software. Change FSB little by little like adding by 10 and find the most stable one.

To me I am using the BIOS overclocking because my mobo allows it but my previous does not but ntune can do the trick.
a b K Overclocking
a b ) Power supply
August 11, 2008 3:02:03 PM

micro atx mobo+750w psu= wtfbbq ;o
August 11, 2008 3:05:55 PM

pogsnet said:
If your chipset is nVIDIA try using ntune software. Change FSB little by little like adding by 10 and find the most stable one.

To me I am using the BIOS overclocking because my mobo allows it but my previous does not but ntune can do the trick.

I'm not really sure this is good/accurate advice. To the best of my understanding, applications such as Ntune basically just provide a GUI interface to scary/complicated BIOS options. However, in the OP's case his BIOS is going to be locked down pretty tight... so I'm just not sure that any software solution will be able to help him.
August 11, 2008 3:15:28 PM

software tunes will work. But, they are not the best way to OC and they are limited. They usually dont do well with voltages, so you should OC in small bits and test with prime 95 and monitor your temps and voltages.

with that said, a 3800 will probably not hit 2.5 with a soft oc. Maybe 2.2/2.3.

It looks like it is time to save up and get a p35(mobo) and e7200(CPU).
August 11, 2008 11:37:54 PM

Thx for the info guys, Looks like I'll need to invest in a more powerful CPU
October 13, 2008 4:43:08 PM

I have just overclocked my Athlon 3800+ X2 64 to 2.65 Ghz
October 13, 2008 4:46:53 PM

I had to use my Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard to do it. You will NEVER reach the speeds you want with software oc. My stock 2.0 ghz processor is running at a stable 2.65. I did hit a memory wall and I have to by better more overclockable memory to get even MORE speed and performance out of it.
October 13, 2008 4:51:02 PM

ALSO, go with the better mobos out there. You do get what you pay for. I got mine on ebay for $75.00. Be patient and a good deal will come. Read up on the reviews for Asus, Abit, and Gigabyte. I prefer the Asus with nforce technology cause I am an Nvidia man. I plan on moving up to a Quad-Core very soon. Kind Regards.
October 24, 2008 7:37:40 PM

I managed a good OC with my 3800+ (stock speed) 2.4ghz oc'd to 2.7 by upping the fsb.
Mobo: asus m2a-vm, 450 watt psu.
March 18, 2009 4:39:23 AM

Sorry guys but Ntune dont work for Gateway gt5028. Must have an Nvidia motherboard. On Gateway gt5028 only have Nvidia Chipsit. I install Ntune and automatically abort installation due to NO NVIDIA MoBo detect.
!