Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Won't Show up....kinda

Last response: in Storage
February 11, 2009 7:51:48 AM

So, here's the problem I just put in a second HDD some crappy HD just to screw around with dual boots, I'm running Vista right now 32-bit main HDD is on Sata with no problems what soever the second is on IDE set as slave. It shows up on Device Manager, but in Disk Management it's nowhere to be found, it did show up once however but all I could do was delete it and now I can't get it to show up anymore. PLEASE help! Thanks in advance.

More about : hard drive show kinda

February 11, 2009 8:03:15 AM

QUANTUM FIREBALLlct20 30 ATA Device [Hard drive] (30.01 GB) -- drive 0
WDC WD50 00AAKS-22YGA SCSI Disk Device (500.11 GB) -- drive 1
a b G Storage
February 11, 2009 9:06:49 AM

Quote:
the second is on IDE set as slave
Why slave? Is there a master device on the same channel?
Related resources
a b G Storage
February 11, 2009 12:03:53 PM

If there is only 1 drive on the IDE cable, it needs to be on the end and set as master.
February 13, 2009 12:57:43 AM

Windows has a memory about discs & it may be part of the issue.....Go to BIOS and see if it shows up there if not windows may be failing to recognize it. Also try omputer Hope Forums
February 14, 2009 1:37:46 PM

Western Digital drives have two Master settings. One is with a slave present (middle jumper) and one without a slave present (no jumpers set). If you have it set as a master with a slave present, but without the slave, the drive will be inconsistently detected within the BIOS. So, before you spend any more time fighting with it, be sure that the jumpers are set correctly.

Good luck!
February 14, 2009 5:27:51 PM

rforce said:
Western Digital drives have two Master settings. One is with a slave present (middle jumper) and one without a slave present (no jumpers set). If you have it set as a master with a slave present, but without the slave, the drive will be inconsistently detected within the BIOS. So, before you spend any more time fighting with it, be sure that the jumpers are set correctly.

Good luck!

I have a WD that did work on a cable select cable, then I noticed a click & whir as it semmed to idle down. I wasn't using anything off that HD so I didn't know why it would be running then shutting down. I just saw that click & whir can mean problems & the drive is undetected in BIOS so I don't know if it's hopeless & I haven't found another computer to stick it in. Any config I use on this one leaves it undetected.....?
February 15, 2009 11:24:58 PM

agree with jitpublisher should be set to master...

wow a Quantum Fireball that still works they would have to be the most well known drive ever :) 
February 16, 2009 7:46:35 AM

dont know what i did but it finally started working ide master was dvdrw and slave was the HDD finally got everything to show up format etc, windows 7 is running fine off it so far thanks for the help though guys, appreciate it.
!