Vdroop/Overclocking Question

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Ok...I'm hoping someone can clear something up so I understand what I've been reading. Right now I have a Q9450 overclocked to 3.2GHz and appears to be stable. I haven't ran Prime95 for 12 hours or anything but I've run it for a few hours and didn't have a problem. My VID is 1.25V. I have my VCore set in my BIOS for 1.325V. When I log into Windows and open up HW Monitor I see that my Vdrop is 0.045V meaning my actual voltage is 1.28V. When I run Prime95 that voltage drops all the way down to 1.22V. My questions are this...so please chime in if you know:

1) Is the 1.25V VID accounting for Vdroop and Vdrop? I assume not, as that is what my BIOS would've set if I put it on "Normal." Basically, if I was running my processor on stock voltage (entered 1.25V in the BIOS) and then ran Prime 95 it shouldn't fail. I wouldn't use my known Vdrop and Vdroop to come up with a final voltage (after Vdroop set in) of 1.25V when Prime95 is running. It would be more like 1.1V at stock when Prime95 is going and that would still be within Intel spec.
2) Similarly, is the maximum voltage value Intel puts out (1.36V I believe for this CPU) accounting for Vdroop and Vdrop? I read about a lot of enthusiast overclockers posting BIOS values in excess of 1.36V yet after Vdrop is accounted for and they open up HW Monitor it is less than 1.36V.
3) When I overclock, am I comparing the Vdrop or Vdroop value? In other words, are my idle and load voltages (1.28V and 1.22V, respectively) too low for 3.2GHz? Should I raise my VCore...although already being at 1.325V entered in the BIOS seems like a lot.

Mondoman

Splendid
1) Yes. VID is not a voltage reading, it is just the voltage spec for your CPU. The MB circuitry reads that value and uses it to set the CPU voltage. As shown in Intel's CPU datasheets, the allowable voltage range for the CPU varies depending on the CPU load (how much current the CPU is drawing), so the measured CPU voltage is not a fixed value.
2) Yes
3) Huh?

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks. Sorry for the confusion on the third question...I just read it and laughed. I just got a stable overclock at 3.4GHz which is good. As you saw in my initial paragraph these Gigabyte motherboards have lots of Vdrop and Vdroop, especially without any kind of loadline calibration or Vdroop dampener. Right now my BIOS voltage is 1.35V, my actual voltage at idle is 1.296V, and my actual voltage at load is 1.248V. I also had to give my DRAM voltage a little bump to pass Memtest. Right now it is 2.18V in the BIOS, and the actual is 2.14V.

Basically, what I was asking in my third question...poorly written...is whether I should be focusing on the load voltage, idle voltage, or BIOS voltage setting. The second question was supposed to ask if 1.365V is the threshold after Vdrop and Vdroop. For example If I put like 1.45V in my BIOS it would be ok as long as my actual voltage in Prime95 under full load did not exceed 1.365V. In reality, to be safe, I'd probably use the idle voltage as my limit though.

Mondoman

Splendid
Nope, setting 1.45V in your BIOS would not be safe if Intel's max is 1.365V. They're talking about set voltage, not what the sensors are measuring. In general, don't worry about voltage droops/drops -- it's almost always normal and according to Intel specs.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished

Ok now I'm confused... I'm getting two different stories from some reputable posters. Some of you are saying voltage as read in cpuz, others are saying as set in the bios.