Hi,
I am running XP Home with SP2 and have problems when I type into the browser.
This is what happens. If I type a full address, i.e. www.etc I get right to
where I want to go. Fine, that's ok. But if I want to find out something
about a city or country for instance, I type in only the name of the city or
country in the browser and click the hi-lited 'Search for...'
In the past I have always had a response, but lately all I get is the
message 'The page cannot be displayed'.
I have checked my connection settings and they appear to be ok.
Can someone out there help?
Thanks.

This is what you would see if you typed: search from address bar
in Help and Support or in Internet Explorer Help...

To search from the Address bar
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/url_fail.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9C30FAEF-6631-403B-8CAA-794C0141779C@microsoft.com,
digijack <digijack@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
> I am running XP Home with SP2 and have problems when I type into the
> browser. This is what happens. If I type a full address, i.e. www.etc I
> get right to where I want to go. Fine, that's ok. But if I want to find
> out something about a city or country for instance, I type in only the
> name of the city or country in the browser and click the hi-lited 'Search
> for...'
> In the past I have always had a response, but lately all I get is the
> message 'The page cannot be displayed'.
> I have checked my connection settings and they appear to be ok.
> Can someone out there help?
> Thanks.

Hi Wesley,
I tried all the options available to search from the address bar.
Unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem. However, in the task bar at the
bottom of the screen is the message 'Invalid syntax error'. This appears
after the name of a place or country is clicked in the address bar. Any other
suggestions will be welcome
Thank you.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> This is what you would see if you typed: search from address bar
> in Help and Support or in Internet Explorer Help...
>
> To search from the Address bar
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/url_fail.mspx
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:9C30FAEF-6631-403B-8CAA-794C0141779C@microsoft.com,
> digijack <digijack@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi,
> > I am running XP Home with SP2 and have problems when I type into the
> > browser. This is what happens. If I type a full address, i.e. www.etc I
> > get right to where I want to go. Fine, that's ok. But if I want to find
> > out something about a city or country for instance, I type in only the
> > name of the city or country in the browser and click the hi-lited 'Search
> > for...'
> > In the past I have always had a response, but lately all I get is the
> > message 'The page cannot be displayed'.
> > I have checked my connection settings and they appear to be ok.
> > Can someone out there help?
> > Thanks.

Did you click Apply to Apply the changes?

Does Search work from the Search button on the Toolbar?

Or Ctrl + E?

Check your settings here...
IE | View | Explorer Bar | Search | Customize | Autosearch settings

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1ED0E735-5116-4DDB-AAED-7DB489EAF13B@microsoft.com,
digijack <digijack@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wesley,
> I tried all the options available to search from the address bar.
> Unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem. However, in the task bar at
> the bottom of the screen is the message 'Invalid syntax error'. This
> appears after the name of a place or country is clicked in the address
> bar. Any other suggestions will be welcome
> Thank you.
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> This is what you would see if you typed: search from address bar
>> in Help and Support or in Internet Explorer Help...
>>
>> To search from the Address bar

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/url_fail.mspx

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:9C30FAEF-6631-403B-8CAA-794C0141779C@microsoft.com,
>> digijack <digijack@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am running XP Home with SP2 and have problems when I type into the
>>> browser. This is what happens. If I type a full address, i.e. www.etc I
>>> get right to where I want to go. Fine, that's ok. But if I want to find
>>> out something about a city or country for instance, I type in only the
>>> name of the city or country in the browser and click the hi-lited
>>> 'Search for...'
>>> In the past I have always had a response, but lately all I get is the
>>> message 'The page cannot be displayed'.
>>> I have checked my connection settings and they appear to be ok.
>>> Can someone out there help?
>>> Thanks.

Hi Wes,
Yes, I did click Apply and no, Search doesn't work on the toolbar or Ctrl+E.
Unfortunately, nothing has worked that has been suggested.
In the proces of checking the settings this is what happens.
When I click Search the page splits into 2. To the left of the Windows
Discussions Page a search engine appears.
View is clicked again, and Customize is in the Toolbar dropdown. When this
is clicked it brings up Customize Toolbar which shows all Available/Current
buttons. This was closed.
At the head of the search engine is a Customize button. When this is
clicked, Customize Search Settings comes up and in the bottom L/H corner is
Autosearch Settings. In the page that appears are 2 fields. In the top field
is MSN, while in the bottom one is Display results, and go to the most likely
sight. I clicked ok.
There is no change in the Address bar.
It is a problem that has existed since Monday 26th July. Suspecting that
Spyware could be the possible cause, I downloaded the free MSN Anti Spyware
software.
Is there anything else that might rectify the problem?
Regards

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Did you click Apply to Apply the changes?
>
> Does Search work from the Search button on the Toolbar?
>
> Or Ctrl + E?
>
> Check your settings here...
> IE | View | Explorer Bar | Search | Customize | Autosearch settings
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1ED0E735-5116-4DDB-AAED-7DB489EAF13B@microsoft.com,
> digijack <digijack@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi Wesley,
> > I tried all the options available to search from the address bar.
> > Unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem. However, in the task bar at
> > the bottom of the screen is the message 'Invalid syntax error'. This
> > appears after the name of a place or country is clicked in the address
> > bar. Any other suggestions will be welcome
> > Thank you.
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> This is what you would see if you typed: search from address bar
> >> in Help and Support or in Internet Explorer Help...
> >>
> >> To search from the Address bar
> >>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/url_fail.mspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:9C30FAEF-6631-403B-8CAA-794C0141779C@microsoft.com,
> >> digijack <digijack@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Hello, There may be a problem with the default search engine "MSN" on your
unit. There should be several search engines listed, change to another one as
default and see if problem remains.
Take Care.
beamish.

"digijack" wrote:

> Hi Wes,
> Yes, I did click Apply and no, Search doesn't work on the toolbar or Ctrl+E.
> Unfortunately, nothing has worked that has been suggested.
> In the proces of checking the settings this is what happens.
> When I click Search the page splits into 2. To the left of the Windows
> Discussions Page a search engine appears.
> View is clicked again, and Customize is in the Toolbar dropdown. When this
> is clicked it brings up Customize Toolbar which shows all Available/Current
> buttons. This was closed.
> At the head of the search engine is a Customize button. When this is
> clicked, Customize Search Settings comes up and in the bottom L/H corner is
> Autosearch Settings. In the page that appears are 2 fields. In the top field
> is MSN, while in the bottom one is Display results, and go to the most likely
> sight. I clicked ok.
> There is no change in the Address bar.
> It is a problem that has existed since Monday 26th July. Suspecting that
> Spyware could be the possible cause, I downloaded the free MSN Anti Spyware
> software.
> Is there anything else that might rectify the problem?
> Regards
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Did you click Apply to Apply the changes?
> >
> > Does Search work from the Search button on the Toolbar?
> >
> > Or Ctrl + E?
> >
> > Check your settings here...
> > IE | View | Explorer Bar | Search | Customize | Autosearch settings
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:1ED0E735-5116-4DDB-AAED-7DB489EAF13B@microsoft.com,
> > digijack <digijack@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > Hi Wesley,
> > > I tried all the options available to search from the address bar.
> > > Unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem. However, in the task bar at
> > > the bottom of the screen is the message 'Invalid syntax error'. This
> > > appears after the name of a place or country is clicked in the address
> > > bar. Any other suggestions will be welcome
> > > Thank you.

> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/url_fail.mspx

Hi beamish,
Thank for your contribution, but in my efforts to sort out the problem and,
with the assistance of Wes Vogel, I tried a number of things and got the
message that said that 'An Internet Explorer Start Page URL change requires
your approval'. This was in bold text. Because I was unsure, I did not click
'Allow' I clicked 'Block' and tried putting in 'Crosswords' in the address
bar. The result was 'This page cannot be displayed'. The next time the 'An
Internet Explorer Start Page etc came up, I clicked 'Allow'. BINGO! it
worked. I can now put anything in the Address bar without the prefix www.
which is the way it was before. I'm happy with that.
I may have gone all around the world to explain the position, but if it
helps, I'm happy with that too.
Best regards to all
digijack

"beamish" wrote:

> Hello, There may be a problem with the default search engine "MSN" on your
> unit. There should be several search engines listed, change to another one as
> default and see if problem remains.
> Take Care.
> beamish.
>
> "digijack" wrote:
>
> > Hi Wes,
> > Yes, I did click Apply and no, Search doesn't work on the toolbar or Ctrl+E.
> > Unfortunately, nothing has worked that has been suggested.
> > In the proces of checking the settings this is what happens.
> > When I click Search the page splits into 2. To the left of the Windows
> > Discussions Page a search engine appears.
> > View is clicked again, and Customize is in the Toolbar dropdown. When this
> > is clicked it brings up Customize Toolbar which shows all Available/Current
> > buttons. This was closed.
> > At the head of the search engine is a Customize button. When this is
> > clicked, Customize Search Settings comes up and in the bottom L/H corner is
> > Autosearch Settings. In the page that appears are 2 fields. In the top field
> > is MSN, while in the bottom one is Display results, and go to the most likely
> > sight. I clicked ok.
> > There is no change in the Address bar.
> > It is a problem that has existed since Monday 26th July. Suspecting that
> > Spyware could be the possible cause, I downloaded the free MSN Anti Spyware
> > software.
> > Is there anything else that might rectify the problem?
> > Regards
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you click Apply to Apply the changes?
> > >
> > > Does Search work from the Search button on the Toolbar?
> > >
> > > Or Ctrl + E?
> > >
> > > Check your settings here...
> > > IE | View | Explorer Bar | Search | Customize | Autosearch settings
> > >
> > > --
> > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> > >
> > > Wes
> > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > >
> > > In news:1ED0E735-5116-4DDB-AAED-7DB489EAF13B@microsoft.com,
> > > digijack <digijack@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

> > > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/url_fail.mspx

Glad you got it figured out. Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User