8RDA3+PRO SPDIF problem

Mr Boogedy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Does anyone know what the deal is with getting a 5.1 channel signal out thru my SPDIF optical interface??? All I manage to get is 2 channel stereo. This board is capable of outputting up to 8-channel audio, or so say the specs.

I 've tried to configure my SPDIF in the Realtek Sound Manager. The problem is that I get a different tab under SPDIF than the manual... i.e. i have NO "SPDIF-OUT" selections, ONLY SPDIF-IN!

Yes, I have my speaker config set to 6-channel (durrr).

I checked all jumper settings to make sure I din't need to reconfigure them to enable SPDIF-OUT.

I also tried the coaxial digital (orange RCA) audio output. I got NO sound using this method... not even stereo.

Right now i don't think too much of the "auto jack sensing" capability of this board.... doesn't seem to work worth a darn for the digital audio section... :fou:

FROM THE MANUAL:

8ch
Delivers 8 channel audio to bring you the latest in audio realism from DVD movies and games. Perfect for your home theater system.

quickSPDIF
On board SPDIF-out connector for quick connection to multi-channel speakers. Not only removes cable cluttering but also delivers loss-free digital audio to let you enjoy DVD movies and games with crystal clear sound.
-----

btw: 8RDA3+PRO uses ALC850 w/AC '97 codec.
Nforce2 Ultra 400 northbridge and Gigabit MCP southbridge

edit to fix board model

Mr Boogedy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Well I've found some info about this elsewhere... here's the link ICYI:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/68775/

Don't know if that's the case but if the SPDIF TOSLINK and Digital Coax are only good for pass-thru of pre-encoded signals then that's just bogus and queer imo.

I guess i need to go out and buy a receiver that has discrete analog inputs in order to use this board the way I intend. grrrrrrrr...........

Just inlude a chip to mix the channels for a digital stream!!1 (I guess the old MCP-T did this, yes???).

TRENDING THREADS