My fan config, please improve!

ultran00b

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Please tell me how to arrange my current fans for the best optimization :).
Thanks.

My case is the Silverstone TJ09. I cable managed today and added in new fans.
tj0912ut3.jpg

My configuration: Sry for the terrible drawing. (Did this in Photoshop in 5 min.)
untitle2d1wi3.png

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Put both fans on top facing downward, so they blow fresh air directly into the case. Then face the CPU fan towards the top, so it gets the coolest air possible. The rest should be fine.

CraZyNOTRT

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007

Why would you put the top fans blowing in the case? Thermal dynamics> Heat always rises to the top< why would you push it back in the case?

use the side fans to pump cool air in and use top fans to pump the hot air out.

burningmunk

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Side fans in, top out, back out, front in. Try for equal numbers doing intake and exhaust so that you don't end up with positive or negative pressure inside.

CraZyNOTRT

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2007
You want positive pressure when cooling off a structure. positive Cool air being forced in a stucture to create a positive pressure, if vented at the top hot air will be forced out at higher speeds.

mrwoo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I can tell you how my lian li stays cooled the best. I have 8800gtx, e6700 cpu with a Thermalright Ultima 90 heatsink.

I have a hdd cage in top 2 cdrom slots, holding 2 wd 750g in raid 0 and 1 wd 750g. There is an 80mm fan blowing IN over the hdd's. Then there is an 80mm fan blowing OUT the top. >> The air comes in over the hdds, and then out the top.

I have a psu with a 130mm fan on botton, sucking air UP into the psu, then an 80mm fan on back of the psu blowing OUT. I can control the 80mm fan speed on this psu. Turning this psu 80mm fan to full has a noticable effect on overal temps.

I have an 80mm fan in rear, blowing air IN towards both my cpu and psu bottom fan. The cpu has a 92mm fan blowing TOWARDS the front of the case. >> Back fan blows cool fresh air towards the cpu/psu. Psu fan sucks it out, cpu fan blows it forward where it can be sucked up out the top or down.

I have 120mm fan on side, low, by gpu, blowing IN. This provides my gpu with fresh cool air. Gpu fan sucks this air in, and blows OUT the back. In the front bottom of the case is another 120mm fan blowing OUT. >> 120mm fan on side pushes cool fresh air to gpu. What the gpu does not need can also reach the mobo heatsink & ram. This air is pulled out by the front 120mm. The front 120mm also helps pull out the excess cpu air that is not pulled out the top of the case.

I have tried this in many cases now, and IF your case has really good vents cut in the case metal, it works very well. If the case metal is just some slots, usually the fan doesn't get much air flow by it. I have had to cut out some case material to increase air flow. Very simple way to really improve air flow.

Temps?
cpu usually idles at 20 & 21 (core temps via SF, RT & PCW08)
mobo usually at 33
ram (mobo probe) usually at 36
gpu usually at 53
hdd's, usually at 30

maximum gaming with crysis or vegas or 2142 or cod4
cpu generally 30 on cores
mobo 38
ram 40
gpu 68
hdd 30ish

Intel 975xbx2 mobo. 4gb ram.

I use Riva & SFan for all my cooling. Keep sound down idling, with fans around 30%, most speed up to 100% during gaming, although it cools so effectively that my 120mm fans usually only go to 50 or 60%.

Hope that helps.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Gawd...

I'd say you'd have to tinker with it allot to figure that out.

My guess would be to have all the fans in stock position and put them on a 4/6 switch fan controller. The only change I'd do, is have the Zalman 9700 pointed up at the dual top fans. :sweat:

mrwoo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
lol, yes I have tinkered maybe a bit. I have had many computers, or built many for others too. I used to wish for a fanless rig, but frankly liquid and pc components don't top my list of things I wish to mix. So I have taken a lot of time over the years to figure out how to best cool things.

That configuration does not work well for every case. But it is by far the best way I have found if I do a little modding with a dremel.

mrwoo.