saintones

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Im suprised but happy.. Almost a year ago I read post by people from Intel and Nvidia, both saying that the physics can be just processed through the multiple cores, now they both have bought up the technologies..Very very interesting : )

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

It's called a GPGPU - General Processing Graphics Processing Unit. It was what nVidia and ATi were working on with Havok when Intel bought Havok out and then cancelled their access to the Physics technology.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Good, hoppefully nvidia can find a way to make use of the ageia ppu in conjunction with an nvidia card. Wouldnt hurt in games like crysis.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I'd love to see some developments from this...

my 680i boards got 2 PCIE 16x slots...one 8800gt now...second one coming down the pike...

and one 8x slot....a standalone physics card would sure fit nicely there...doesn't make sense to own one now, but maybe nVidia will make something out of it.

After all if anyone can steer the game developer market to utilize physics chips....it's nVidia

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
what nvidia needs to do is incorporate a physics chip into all of their video cards. that way more people will get one, and bit by bit, as all cards being used have a physics processor, game developers can start to incorporate the use of that chip better because they won't have to worry about some people not having one.

TRENDING THREADS