Sign in with
Your question

Help with 1st OC on Q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
August 11, 2008 6:12:29 PM

Hi everyone - I've been reading the boards a ton but this is my first post. I'm hoping someone can help me with my first overclock on a Q6600. I tried a few things I've read around here and what has been most successful so far was simply changing to 1333 and 667 while leaving everything else on auto. Ran for a day at 3.0 but the next morning the screen was black. I rebooted and couldn't get it back in with those settings again. Loads fine in default though.

I'm working with a newly purchased:

- Q6600
- ASUS P5N-E SLI
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB)
- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
- Antec Neo Power 500 500W ATX12V Power Supply
- Any other additional info you need?

Honestly, I'd be happy getting this thing stable at 3.0. If I can go higher, great. If not, no big deal, I'm not greedy. Not sure why it worked fine at 3.0 for a day and now refused to boot with those same settings.

Thanks all for any advice/insight you can provide.

Brian

More about : 1st q6600

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2008 6:31:10 PM

theres an oc-ing guide that is a must... for intel processors you need to disable some options and you generally (not always) have to manually set the v-core to get it to be stable

heres the link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...
August 11, 2008 6:51:08 PM

Yup you want to set the vcore manually, and it needs to be higher then the VID if you want a good OC, and you want to set ram timings and voltage to specs and the volts a little over spec on the ram since you have 4G.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 11, 2008 7:18:36 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the link - I hadn't seen this. Looks like a lot to plow through so I'll give it a go later today and report back. Haha, funny seeing all this when I thought I was going to be able to get away with tweaking just a couple settings!
August 11, 2008 11:36:58 PM

So...I visited the link and honestly, it's a bit over my head. I tried following along but we don't have many of the same settings that he talks about in his guide.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm happy to do a conservative OC to 3.0 (not 3.6+ like what I've seen elsewhere). I manually set my memory timings and assuming I go to 1333 and 667 (with a 9x multiplier), can anyone give any insight into where my vcore should be set for optimal results?

Again, I appreciate any help on this and hope I'm not pissing anyone off asking what are probably pretty basic questions...
!