Overclocking with different Ram question

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Hey, noobie question time!

Its 4 am, and with my new computer on the way i thought i might try to overclock this one for a bit of fun. Little did I forget that I have two different ram types, and I know this can cause some problems. I'm not looking to overclock extreme, just maybe to 3 gigahertz (Using a Q6660 with a vcore of 1.265).

First Set = 2x 1gig Corsair 667 mhz with timings of 5-5-5-15 and 1.8volts
Second Set = 2x 1 gig Corsair 800 mhz with timings of 5-5-5-18 and 1.8 volts

What should I add into the bios for the DRam timings? the 667's timings or the 18, or should i scrap the idea and just pull the 667's out and just run on 2 gig (Using Windows Vista 64-bit though).

Fyi, cpu = Q6660
motherboard = Asus p5k-se

Thanks,

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Just balance them out. Try for a 700 mhz in sync over clock. You'll OC the lower speed RAM a bit, and under clock the faster ram. Using 5-5-5-15.

An FSB of 350 will get ya that 700 Mhz when the RAM is set in sync mode.

That would also be a processor speed of 3150 if using the X 9 multiplier.

You mention using a VCore of 1.265? What did you try that with?

Also, run Core Temp, or Real Temp, and look to see what your factory VID is listed at.

--Lupi

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Scratch the Vcore thing, didn't realize i typed that, blame the time :p

Using Core Temp, my factory VID is 1.1625v.

And thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it in a bit =)!

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Oki, just done what you told me.

ev6qg6.jpg

Bout to put it under a bit of stress with Prime and see how the temperature/stability goes. Gonna go down and buy a heatsink tomorrow I think as I'm still using Intel Stock H.S and don't want to fry it!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
What did you plan on buying? Lots don't work, hehe.

That looks good, and your VID is 1.3000, the third worse, hehe!

But at 3150 Ghz it won't need to much voltage.

test with prime 95 small ffts on all cores.

Also, what did you place the VCore voltage on in the bios? (CPU voltage.)

You need to know that value, so we can test your Vdrop and droop. If you know what it is, cool, and we also know the idle in windows voltage, because you took the shot of CPUz as well.

It's idling at 1.344, when you run small ffts on all cores with prime, watch to see what the lowest it goes to is, then list em here.

If you dont know what it is set to in the Bios, we'll have to go peek, or set one ourselves, so we can get the vdrop and droop!

Other than that, it looks good, hehe. Even though I couldn't see any memory related stuff. If its in sync, its at 350 x 2 Mhz. Just right!

:)

--Lupi

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Oki i had CPU Voltage on Auto.just wanted to see if I could get it running first. Ran prime for about 4 minutes and it came up with hardware error. Tried again and it BSOD within 2 minutes. While under stress my Vcore wnet down to 1.240V. What screenshots would you like, or figures? :)

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Dunno, but with 1.344 idle, and 1.24 loaded, you;ll need to crank the voltage up for sure.

Yowsers, looked up your board! is that a 1 phase supply to the CPU, I think I see one or two capacitors around the socket, lol!

You need to put it back on stock, with speed step, and C1E disabled in the bios, manually place the CPU voltage to 1.3000 and re boot at factory speeds.

Once in windows, give it a minute to complete the boot, and then look in CPUz and see what it lists your current core voltage at. That will show the Vdrop. The initial drop in CPU voltage from Bios to idle windows.

Then run small ffts on all cores again, and watch how far down it goes after a minute or two.

List them here, and we will know what voltage you are gonna need in the Bios, to get a give speed, now that we know how far down the voltage is gonna drop!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Yeah, its safe, kind of!

And that was at 1.3000?

So you have a .125ish drop/droop combo.

Looks like you'll need 1.4000 in your Bios, hehehe! (Maybe a tiny bit more or less, but start there.)

Should get 3150 Ghz.

Then test will small ffts, to get the temps, and make sure there are no errors.

--Lupi

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
BSOD'ed about 4 minutes into running PRIME, temperatures of around 65 degrees. LOL.

Had a idle VCORE of 1.354, didnt manage to catch the load.

Hmmm anything else I should try or just call it quits and wait till my new comp comes and play with that? :p Thanks for the help so far!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You can test up to 70c, that would be fine!

So add another notch, and try again. Your vdrop and droop is bad, and may get worse the higher you set it.

--Lupi

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Hmm I just couldn't find a suitable VCore to set in bios to hold it at 350 FSB. Prime kept crashing within 4 minutes and my temperatures were getting close to 80 (Thats my intel HS though lol).

Should i just try for 333 FSB with 667 mhz DRAM? So a 1:1 ratio? And slowly work out lowest vcore from here?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
does making the system crash repeatedly damage the cpu/mobo from overvoltage or anything...does it actually do any lasting damage?

zethex

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
does making the system crash repeatedly damage the cpu/mobo from overvoltage or anything...does it actually do any lasting damage?

Well eventually yeah, but the motherboards (high end ones anyway) have capacitors and stuff to protect against it to an extent. Most cpu's like mine can survive a voltage of 1.50, and you would be insane to go that high without a cooling rig :p

ITs mainly when your motherboard fails to reset the bios because it doesnt have an auto feature, or you dont know how to do the jumper reset configuration that it will eventually damage/wont boot at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, im still new to this, but from what I learnt this is what i know.