New Build - Computer Is Very Slow (Help)

Dreiber

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Hey,

I recently upgraded my computer. My new rig includes these components:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4 Gigs Kingston DDR 2 HyperX Ram
Gigabyte P35-DSLR Mobo
Evga 8800GT
Rosewill 550W power supply
Maxtor Hard Drive

When I first set up my computer, I noticed that the processor was running hot. After running 3DMark06 I ended up with over 12k marks which is normal for the system when it's not overclocked. After about 2 hours, the system started to slow down. I couldn't figure out the issue, and check all of the slots, ram, etc. and I figured it could have been the CPU or Mobo because the CPU was running at about 46C.

I sent the CPU and MOBO back to newegg and got replacements. After installing everything, I loaded up teh computer. One thing was fixed, the CPU is down to 26C, but the computer is still running extremely slow. I uninstalled and reinstalled all of the drivers, but nothing changed. I am going to also reformat my computer tomorrow.

My question is this, the memory, cpu, and mobo are working fine. The video card is recognized properly, but my guess is that the problem could be with my Windows Installation(which I doubt), or it could be the Power Supply or Video Card. It seems like some of the pop up boxes like when the computer is searching for a new driver pops up very slow like it's lagged, which leads me to believing it may be a video card issue.

What do you guys think? Could it be the power supply or video card?

Dreiber

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008

Is it not enough power?

mack92

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I'd go with a fresh install of windows, even though the psu isn't a top tier, it should run things ok. Crappy psu means it's not made with the best parts and could cause voltage irregularities. My guess is windows in being bitchy. Did you apply thermal paste on the cpu? What are the vid card temps?

Dreiber

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008

So I went ahead and reinstalled Windows XP x64 and now it's running just fine. I guess it could have been a driver confliction.

My first CPU was running at 46C with Core Temp, and my new CPU is running at 26C idle. I also took some of your guys advice and ordered the ANTEC TPIII to replace my Rosewill PSU.