Hi everyone. I'm looking to build my first gaming rig. I've been researching hardware for several weeks now. I've come up with a setup I feel pretty good about but unsure of a few things. They're gaming related so to be honest I'm not sure if this is an appropriate forum for that but I figured I'd give it a shot.
1. I will be using a 19" widescreen LCD. 1440x900 native res. I have to go with that size, I'm in an apartment with a computer armoire! I chose the Samsung 932BW.
2. I'll be playing FPSs like Crysis, COD4, Bioshock, HalfLife etc.
3. Budget: around $2500
4. Here's the list:
ZALMAN Z-MACHINE GT1000-B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower High End Computer Case - Retail
Model #: GT1000-B
$399.99 -$15.00 Instant $384.99
1 CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D - Retail
Model #: TWIN2X2048-8500C5D
$193.00 -$15.00 Instant $178.00
1 Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - Retail
Model #: WD1500AHFDRTL
1 RAZER Tarantula Black USB Standard Ultimate Gaming Keyboard - Retail
Model #: RZ03-00070100-R2U1
$99.99 -$20.00 Instant $79.99
1 RAZER Copperhead Tempest RZ01-00050100-R1M1 Blue 7 Buttons 1 x Wheel Gold plated USB Laser Engine Gaming Mouse - Retail
Model #: RZ01-00050100-R1M1
$78.99 -$12.00 Instant $66.99
1 LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S - Retail
Model #: LH-20A1S
1 LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-08 - Retail
Model #: DH-16D2P-08
1 Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail
Model #: 70SB046A00000
1 Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
Model #: 66I-00715
1 ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail
Model #: CNPS 9700 NT
$79.99 -$20.00 Instant $59.99
1 Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System - Retail
Model #: 970118-0403
Long list, sorry. My questions are these:
1. I'm iffy about whether or not I need 1066 Dominator RAM, EVGA says the mobo supports up to 1200 but then I here lots of mentions about 800 being the way to go.
2. The graphics card: I've been debating three opptions, 1x 880GT OC, 2x 8800GT in SLI (I'm not sure I want to mess with SLI, especially that I've been reading its mostly useful in bigger res. screens?), or the new GTS. Will I make good use of the new GTS with that screen? Iv'e seen what Crysis looks like on that screen with an 8800GT OC, it looked damn good. My goal with a GTS would be to be able to set graphics settings like AA and AF higher.
3. I would just love to get ANY kind of feedback or suggestions, even if you don't know about my first two questions. Thanks!
1) You don't need DDR2-1066 RAM. For a stock Q6600, you only need DDR2-533 RAM to run in a 1:1 ratio (optimal for performance). However, if you intend to overclock the CPU, in order to maintain that 1:1 ratio, you either need to over clock the RAM to match the CPU overclock or purchase RAM that can step down to match the CPU. This is why folks here recommend DDR2-800. It provides enough overhead to cover an overclocked CPU.
2) With the max resolution of your monitor (and the fact that you cannot get a larger one), you're right in that SLI would primarily be a waste of money. I'd recommend a single 8800GTS-512.
Other notes: I'm sure it's just me, but I just can't see spending $100 on a case, let alone almost $400. The case for my all purpose rig cost less than the Scythe S-Flex fans I bought to quiet it down. My gaming rig has a $50 CoolerMaster R-534 (I think). I haven't had a problem with either of them.
Other than that, I have no complaints with your chosen components.
thanks for the replys! I really appreciate good feedback. I've been posting on several forums and I've been getting several mentions about the HDD being too small, the "new" 8800GTS probably being a better choice, and the case being waaay too expensive. As crazy as this may sound, I chose this case because its the only one I could find with a depth (front to back) of less than 19". I need it to fit in the computer cabinet I have. What DDR-800 do you recommend?