Best Deal as CompUSA close's

Not bad for a retail Vista. I watched my Comp for a long time and saw no good deals at all. And no returns either, of course. Maybe it's time to check again.

paranoidmage

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I think boxing day sales have to be the best. I've never seen prices as low as they are on that day. Great deal on the OS though and OC memory.

I did see on boxing day 2x1GB ddr2-800 RAM for 20 dollars. I probably should have gotten it so I had a total of 4 GB, but missed the opportunity

The CompUSA near me is also now closing. Decided to drop by for a lookey-loo and it's sad to say that even with 40-70% off regular prices, they are still more expensive that what I can buy the same item for from an on-line retailer, and that includes shipping and handling.

It's no surprise that CompUSA went out of business. I don't know the reason behind their closing, but between Newegg, Performance-PCs, ZipZoomFly, TigerDirect, Ebay, and all the computer shows in my area, they rarely got my business.

I once was in dire need of a DVD ROM, ran to the CompUSA and snagged the cheapest one they had, was back there 2 hours later making a return because it was DOA. The one thing they were good for was misc adapters and cables, and you could also snag games on the cheap once in a while.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
CompUSA had horrible customer service in store and you could NEVER reach anyone buy phone, they ignor your phone call and ask you to leave a message. It took sometimes three days before they got back to me, what a joke.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I was at my local CompUSA today (Boulder, CO) and the only thing they have left of value to us is high-end PSU's at 50% off. Fairly good deals:

Antec Quattro 1000W - $150
CoolerMaster 850W - $120
Antec Quattro 850W - $125

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Me and my team have been going by that same store you are talking about Soiled, (South Blvd near Pineville?) and have yet to see any good deals. I did see a Phenom 9500 for like 140.00.

A friend of mine was going to purchase the CM Stacker they had on display that was all scratched up when they finally marked them down to 50% off.... The manager and at least 2 other associates told us 3 times that it was 199.99 original. However, when we got to the checkout, it rang up 260.00 and even tho it was missing pieces, no documentation, scratched, dinged and beat to hell, they still wanted 130.00 for it. So we told em to stick it up their asses and hope that CM would give them even $50 return credit for it. Cheap bastards they are. They jacked up the prices right before they started their "Store Closing" sales. So, yes, everything is 50% off....of an inflated price.

xiangkc

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
central jersey's compusa stores are gone now... i hate compusa except for their acer laptop deal 8-9 months ago with rebate got it below 400

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004

The LIQUIDATORS jacked up the prices.

THe liquidator bought the entire store stock and jacked up the prices so they could start the 10% etc off sale.

At this point the liquidator can not return anything. NOTHING. If they don't sell it, they can move it to their next store that they are liquidating off. But no way is that stuff going back to the manufacturer.

In otherwords, the day before they completely shut down the store is the best day to shop. It will be "let's make a deal" for the duds and heavy crap that they don't want to packup and ship to the next location.

When there is no location left to liquidate? Hmmmm. Great day to go shopping. Except one little problem. The liquidator usually knows of a small chain etc that they will be buying in the future, so their motivation to dump everything is not always the greatest. In addition, some of these liquidators also own their own chain of storefronts.... meaning that they can just move the stuff to their own store.... add it to their store stock and knock a few $ off and sell it as returns, store demos etc.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

Mine closed about this time last year and I bought my PSU among other things from them. I got a Tt Toughpower 750 for $120 so enjoy the savings.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

It's funny you mention that because when the store near me was closing they had a silver Stacker 830 which was the same deal, $260@50% off, and the case was missing parts and totally banged up so I ended up buying the 832 for $260 from Newegg. I was looking at it and if it were around $100 I would have bought it and cleaned it up but I was thinking are they serious with this price.

runswindows95

Distinguished

Here in Fort Lauderdale, it was known as "CompUseless". They had WORST customer service than Walmart! I was going to try to hit the few stores around, but realized I would have gotten everything I need or wanted cheaper online. I just hope Tigerdirect has good customer service in the stores they are opening. I'm already not a fan of them because their website is poorly laid out.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Phenom 9500s went from $250 to $180 to now $146.
Sony Blu-Ray player (floor model) ~ $500
Samsung BD-1400 Blu-Ray player (floor model) ~ $300
Various PCs ~ $700+ (Q6600, X2 6000+)
Shelves, etc.

I did buy Stranglehold, Prey, and Dreamfall though. Prey was only about $14

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Thanatos421

Your team ? I would like to here about it:)

Yea that was the 1 on south blvd
They closed there doors on the 17th

Theres also 1 on Independance blvd not sure if that 1s closed yet

Its really best to go when theres about a week to closeing then try and stop by everyday or so and see what they got and hope for the best.

I got a copy of home premium upgrade for $49.00 plus tax , there was about 10 copies on the rack. Went back the next day to grab a copy
for my my brother and they where all gone

The cm stacker I think you where talking about was there the day before closeing I almost bought it for $$35.00 plus tax.GREAT deal But had no need for it and money was tight

RPAaggieDude

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
This is pretty funny to listen to, considering I'm helping the Austin store right now. So I feel the need to answer some questions for yall!

1. The CompUSA website is not owned by us, TigerDirect completely owns the website and it is no longer affiliated with the original CompUSA company.

2. The best deals will be on the final day of that particular store. In my case (I work at the one in South Austin) Our final day is the second of March. However, every store has a different closing time. Also, if a closing time is not posted, don't ask an employee because they won't tell the employee's jack squat, and also don't ask the manager or the liquidation head there. Even though those people would know, they certainly won't tell you.

3. In regards to phones and all that; I totally agree that they have terrible customer service and most of the comp's dont even answer messages anymore. They also had a problem with getting good knowledgeable salespeople to work there. I started working there back in Dec. when the Austin locations started shutting down (friend is an operations manager there), and some of those people working there should not be. Half the time, the remaining employee's will send customers my way cause they do not know how to answer a question or do not know enough to answer the question. Needless to say, I keep busy there. However, not everyone is an idiot there, we have a few employee's that are very knowledgeable although they can be kind of jerky about it sometimes.

4. The actual good deals: Anything Apple... ANYTHING (cause if all else fails you can sell it on ebay and make a profit), motherboards and CPU's are marked down pretty hardcore, there are also some good deals on software there (especially if you need productivity software), and lastly if you do look hard there are some pretty good deals now that everything is about 50% off.

5. The liquidation people (Gordon Brothers) are a**holes, so don't try to bargin with them or attempt to deal with them in any way. They are greedy and slightly bitchy sometimes. They also do not know how to price stuff either, but oh well.

Let me know if yall have any other questions and I'll attempt to answer them!