Dell reinstallation cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockmkt

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hello,

is it easy or difficult to restore back to 'orignial factory settings' when I do not have a 'dell reinstallation disk'? wothout a CD, what is my next step? thanks!

First, you know that doing this will wipe out all of your files, internet favorites, pictures of your best friend barfing all over the teacher, etc...?

Call Dell, they may supply you with one for a small (or not so small, I don't really know) fee. Otherwise you need a valid Windows CD with a key, if you can find an OEM copy you should be able to use the Windows key off your computer, but only if the Windows CD you use is an OEM version.

If you go the non-Dell CD route, you will also need to download all of the drivers for your system off Dell's website, probably using a friend's computer.

G

If your Dell has a Recovery Partition, you can hit Ctrl F11 when you see the blue bar after the Dell BIOS splash screen.

G

If your Dell has a Recovery Partition, you can hit Ctrl F10 when you see the blue bar after the Dell BIOS splash screen.

Hope this helps me too. I have the same problem. I installed XP PRO OS from an OEM, (I was not able to use the keys from My DELL OEM OS Sticker, Have to use the one came with CD) and runnig fine, but now I can not access any of my old programs, I do see them in my C:/Programs folder. Any guidence?

Hope this helps me too. I have the same problem. I installed XP PRO OS from an OEM, (I was not able to use the keys from My DELL OEM OS Sticker, Have to use the one came with CD) and runnig fine, but now I can not access any of my old programs, I do see them in my C:/Programs folder. Any guidence?

Once you install a new Windows installation, it would not remove the contents of the programs directory, but all of the registry links to them would be broken. You need to re-install the programs.

jonathanjay

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I just had to get a Windows XP & Dell drivers CD from Dell. It was free. Make sure you are very clear with their representative which operating system they are sending you ( they 1st sent me vista which my computer does not support). Here is their number: 1-888-261-1716. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.