Sign in with
Your question

Trouble Dual Booting

Last response: in Windows XP
June 28, 2010 7:11:20 PM

Hello, I have been trying to install Windows XP as a second OS as I already have Windows 7 Ultimate installed. Unfortunately, after I select a partition, format it, and reboot the system stalls on the screen after the BIOS that has something to do with a list of devices and such. After 10 or so seconds a few characters and letters go blank randomly on the page. I rebooted and selected my cd drive as the boot device and accidentally didn't press a button in time to boot and a bunch of highlighted numbers were thrown all over the screen and a random smiley face on one of the lines. I can only boot into windows 7 by going into the recovery disk, repairing the startup, and restarting the computer. This fixes it until I try to reinstall windows xp. I have tried several copies of windows xp, one of which I have never had a problem with, and I still get the same problem. I have used the command prompt in the windows 7 recovery disk to do /FixBoot, /FixMbr, and I have tried fixing the MBR through Bootsect. None of it has worked and I don't know what else to do. I assume its a virus, but I don't know if it's on the hard drive or the mobo's BIOS as that screen seems to still be part of the BIOS but idk.

Also, I just reformatted Windows 7 last week with no problem.

Any help is appreciated!

More about : trouble dual booting

a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 7:18:09 PM

You need to install the older OS first as the newer OS will overwrite the MBR.
m
l
June 28, 2010 7:21:18 PM

So the smiley face and the computer stalling isn't anything to worry about?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 7:30:17 PM

I don't know what the smiley face is about but I do know from experience that the easiest way to do a dual or triple boot with XP, Vista and W7 is to start with a clean HDD then partition it into however many OS's that you want to run and install XP on the first one and the subsequent OS's on the second and third but you must install them in the order that they were released.
m
l
June 28, 2010 7:34:29 PM

Well is there any way to install xp without formating my windows 7 partition? I would like to keep the data, but it's not too big of a deal.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 7:41:30 PM

You could try and use the MBR fix option after installing XP but I've never managed to get that to work for me as W7 always asked for the install disc on boot up.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 7:43:32 PM

Is it a 64 bit version of W7 that you are trying to install or 32bit?
m
l
June 28, 2010 7:44:28 PM

32 Bit W7 and 64 Bit XP.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 7:50:51 PM

Dspritzman said:
32 Bit W7 and 64 Bit XP.

That's interesting because I was having similar issues trying to install W7 64 as the second OS on my gaming rig which has XP32 as the base OS and W7 wouldn't boot unless the install disc was in the DVD drive and fix MBR or fix boot didn't work but it dual boots just fine if I use Vista 32 as the second OS.
m
l
June 28, 2010 8:08:00 PM

I have tried both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows xp though and same problems. I think vista and windows 7 use similar boot managers or something like that though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 8:13:00 PM

Well I have Vista and XP dual booting but they are both 32bit versions and XP was installed on the first partition, I gave my copy of XP 64 away a long time ago so I can't say much about that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2010 8:27:45 PM

aford10 said:
Check out this guide. It's got a guide on how to set it up with XP installed first, and for for when Windows 7 is installed first.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-ins...

Cheers for that mate, I'll give it a go next time I'm bored and get the itch to do something to my gaming rig.
m
l
!