HIS ATI Radeon HD 3870x2 Call of duty 4 Crysis tester

pope1870

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_LknAw5y9o

his ati radeon hd3870x2 1gb ddr3 ram (stock settings)

q6600 (quad core) 2.6ghz

4 gb ddr2 ram (2.7gb effective for some strange reasons - **** memory perhaps ?)

17 inch 1280x 1024 tft monitor.

microsoft xp games: COD4 & Crysis

ran both games at highest possible settings at the above mentioned resolution.
For crysis i adjusted the the .cfg files to enable very high graphics ( dx10 feature apperently)

Note: i had a 50% reduction is system efficeney when running frapps, for crysis the adverage frame rate was 30 fps AT VERY HIGH graphics)
i know you guys only hav emy word for it, but i speak the truth!!!! =D

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Should really consider a new monitor for that system!

Best,

3Ball

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I guess they fixed 3870x2 windows xp drivers.

This was tested on very high on winxp and vistadx10

0,1425,i=202083,00.gif

0,1425,i=202088,00.gif

pope1870

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
hey guys, its me popey!,

ja my monitor does suck and i'll definatly will look into getting a new one in the future -killed my bank account upgrading this dammed rig-. i just hope ati sort themselves out and further tweak the drivers for this card and make use of all the hardware on this beast. anyways i decided to record gameplay on both crysis and cod4 with my camcorder - as fraps really lagged out both games for some reason- so without further ado here are the new imporved video clips:

Crysis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO__tdeY9Xg

Cod4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqvKA-CFMxk

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Yeah, having that kind of hardware and running at a low resolution like that is a big waste. The monitor in my sig is less than 300 bucks with rebate and is 1650x1050. Its a HUGE difference from the low resolutions that I used to run at. Everything looks so much better.

nevesis

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006

are we supposed to be impressed? I am getting 35-40 fps at the same resolution as you, with 4X AA on (you had none on in your video) and I'm only rockin an' e6600, and an XFX 8800gt (a measley $250) card. N

pope1870

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
i wasnt aware i was showing off, i was merely showing people how the card ran. sounds like you got some issues buddy.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

:lol:

spac13

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
i agree, i didn't think you were showing off at all.

i mean you system is decient, but not the best,

esspecially when you show complete LACK of computer knowledge but putting 4GB of ram in a system with a 32bit OS.

you should bull out a stick it you have 4X1GB sticks or even 2 and run 2gb of ram in it.

i have the same CPU and an 8800GTX and only 2gb of DDR2 and i get basicly the same FPS as you

pull out some ram, sell it and put the money towards a copy of Vista.

why spend the money on a new DX10.1 card when you only run DX9 OS ? would of been better of getting a high end DX9 card. all the DX10.1 on the card sitting there going "la la la".

kinda like trying to put a V8 motor on a push bike

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Because high end dx9 cards do not exist. They are all mid range cards to budget cards now.

People who are usually low to intermediate computer knowledge show off their hardware. People who are more advanced start messing with software. Hardware is lot more fun though.

nevesis

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006

1st of all, I'm not your buddy, dickface
maybe I do have some issues, but atleast I game at 1680x1050!!

and I was tired / cranky when i posted, i have since had a nap and feel great.. and am actually a little jealous of your 3870x2! ;P

l8z

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

No, he should not pull his ram out. He needs to keep it so that when he does go vista, which right now is not a good time to do so, he will be ready for it. I have 4gb of ram and the system both xp and vista runs better than when I had 2gb even though I am only using 3.25gn of it. Especially vista, which is the 32bit ultimate edition. It is not a huge increase, well in vista...it sure is, but in xp it isn't. I am ready for later upgrades though and I definitely do not have to worry about memory issues (at this point). I just couldn't pass up paying $55 for another 2gb of my memory. That is why I bought it.

Plus...unless he is at a school with a Microsoft contract such as mine...he wont be getting vista for even a similar price to that of what 2gb of memory is, much less the amount he could get on somewhere such as ebay...just a thought!

Also, he did spend the money on a high end DX9 card. In fact it is the fastest card out atm (depending on the app of course) and also he is DX10 and shader model 4 ready. I would say that he is sitting in a very good position to jump to vista when it is well worth it.

Best,

3Ball

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Yea I have the 20" version of that monitor and it is a great piece of work. Oh and I thought I would say that your rig is just nasty man...well done!

Best,

3Ball

pope1870

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
assumptions is the mother of all f'ups. firstly, i upgraded from a 3 ghz HT system to what i have now. Secondly, ive been building my own systems for nigh on a decade, and ive been gaming since the age i was 5. Sure enough i wasnt aware that 4 gb of memory wouldnt work on xp pro- but so **** what, hahaha- big deal, now i know different, thanks for the harsh lesson, truely i feel blessed. but the thing is, something which has slipped past all of yas, is that i'm slowly building the system up, to last me for a few **** years, and chances are i'll need a further 4 gig to keep up with everything.

Anyways ive been building systems for nigh on a decade, and ive slipped, so **** what. there is one thing i can say, new motherboards are a **** joke, No brainers. i'd love to see you grumpy buggers tinker around with a socket seven board, or in that matter tinker with a an old 286 board. anyways, i wasnt here to show off, i put this post up so people could actually see the perfomance of the card, which might i add at a resolution that most people are running at the moment. to see how the card ACTUALLY PERFOMS, so much better than taking someones word for it, or worse still looking at graphs.

needless to say i will be getting a new monitor and it will be bitchin, and i'll also be using my noob like skills to implement a water cooling system. but that is a another story <3.

Anyways, be humble with the knowledge you have =D x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x

oh yeah and thankls for the advice it will help <3

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

lol, I remember those days well.

Best,

3Ball

I agree but have been reading that if you change a specific file in XP or Vista you can make it see and use all 4GB even in a 32bit OS. It may not show all 4GB due to your video card but will be able to use all 4GB. Here is a link: http://vistarewired.com/2007/03/29/how-to-enable-more-than-35-gb-of-memory-in-32-bit-windows-vista

And putting a V8 into a smaller car is not that bad of an idea. I have seen a Focus with a 302 5.0 Mustnag V8 that was modded to a rear wheel drive. Basically it was a focus that could take on a Viper :D .

Agreed. I love all stuff computers but hardware is my aveorite. Putting it all together and turning it on for the first time is just awesome.

Yes....yes I do. I don't think it did much. Maybe change the RAM timings? I know my old P4P800 mobo from Asus had a "Turbo" option in BIOS. Ahh the good ol'days.

pope1870

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
hahaha i will be getting a new monitor in time. i seriousley blew out my bank account getting this gear (i'm not a rich man). i have a question though, when did P.C'S start looking like a prop for a disco, hahahahaha. I'll give you a textual representation of my system. the monitor is caked in coffee and nicotine stains. My case is an old futijsu siemens case, which is mangled up beyond belief, and you know what i love it, i love its nastyness, it has character.

to be honest, i dont see the point in getting a monitor anyways when crysis is only running at 25- 30 fps - with no aa- on a 1280 x 1024 monitor, i mean correct me if i;m wrong but surely if i get a monitor that can handle a higher res will result in a lower frame rate <3.

And will people give the car analoges a rest, i want a computer to use, NOT TO look at.

p.s i lulz'd at your set up, not in a good way mind you

pope1870

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
TURBO BUTTON,

christ i remember that bad boy, my first pc, which might i add think was stolen - bought it from one of my neighbours, was a 486 sx 33, with 8 mb ram, 80 mb h/d, and windows for workgroups 3.11 - i think. I remember press the button frantically whilst playing doom - but it never worked- Ended up having to down scale the video resolution by zooming out and having that sickly green backdrop to throw you off as you rage thru the maps. anyways we got another system - of the same neighbour- of the same specs too, and thats where my and my brother realised we could play death match through a serial connection. 9600 BAUD FTW.

anyways ive got the new beta drivers for this card, tried it out last night and got a few extra fps in crysis =/. i hope the next offing from ati boosts the performance somewhat.

much love

My 2900Pro 1GB gets the same. Thats not bad but it looks like Crysis just doesn't scale well with multiple cards but does with multiple CPUs. I did the same with COD4. Max settings @1280x1024(my 19" doesn't go higher :( ) and got great FPS as well.

I think so far th card looks nice but for the price you paid its not much for performance/price. At least until they mature the drivers a bit.

Oh and you didn't turn the Motion Blurr all the way up which effects performance to. I love looking around fast and it blurring like in real life. Ahhh DX10 is amazing.