8800GTS on 1080P TV

I am awaiting my new XFX 8800GTS G92 card but had a question. Monday I am picking up a new 1080P 42" LCD from good ol' Costco. The native resolution on these is 1920x1080. Do these cards support this resolution? and if so what is the performance like for anyone who has tried this.

leon2006

Distinguished
The answer is use.... 1080P is supported...

1) Video Card(Or any Video player) and TV must be HDCP compliant to display 1080P for Blue Ray or HD-DVD
2) PowerDVD from Cyberlink is what I'm using to play HD-DVD and Blue-Ray on my PC. Caution about new Video cards (e.g. 8800gt); Cyberlink is ~ 2.5 months late. It does not recognize 8800gt and latest driver from nvdia. They sent me patch to get buy. So I'm waiting for another software update from cyberlink.

Cyberlink process both Video and 5.1 or 6.1 Audio(whatever comes with the disc)
3) The Video output; i use DVI to HDMI. My sound is through optical-link going to my receiver (Not TV).

4) I use the NVIDIA control-panel to adjust my HD display settings. My current setting is 1080P.

5) My mobo has a built in audio 7.1. For now i'm using it, optical link to my receiver. So far its working fine.

Heres my setup:
CPU: Q6600
Mobo: Asus Maximus Formula
Memory: 4 gByte
Video: BFG 8800GT OC 512
PS: Antec Quatro 850
Display : 70 Inch HD TV (JVC)/// 2 HDMI
Optical Drive: LG HL-DT-ST-BD-RE GGW-H20L // Blue Ray Writer player/ HD-DVD Player; SATA Interface; No issue with this drive

Sound: I use my receiver and home speakers for the sound. I pick the signal from the optical link from the motherboard.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I am awaiting my new XFX 8800GTS G92 card but had a question. Monday I am picking up a new 1080P 42" LCD from good ol' Costco. The native resolution on these is 1920x1080. Do these cards support this resolution? and if so what is the performance like for anyone who has tried this.

Yes, it sill support that res. You may have to go into your nvidia control panel and make a custom resolution of 1900x1080 (as leon said), but after that it will work just fine.

As for performance -- it's no different than sending the signal to a 24" PC monitor w/ a 1920x1200 resolution.

2) PowerDVD from Cyberlink is what I'm using to play HD-DVD and Blue-Ray on my PC. Caution about new Video cards (e.g. 8800gt); Cyberlink is ~ 2.5 months late. It does not recognize 8800gt and latest driver from nvdia. They sent me patch to get buy. So I'm waiting for another software update from cyberlink.

Cyberlink process both Video and 5.1 or 6.1 Audio(whatever comes with the disc)
3) The Video output; i use DVI to HDMI. My sound is through optical-link going to my receiver (Not TV).

Sorry to derail, but I had a question about Power DVD:

I just ordered a BD / HD-DVD ROM drive and it comes with Power DVD, but I'm getting mixed answers as to whether or not it supports greater than 2.1 sound out of the box. Some say it requires a $60 upgraded version to support 5.1 and 7.1 sound, so I was just wondering if you knew any more about this.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I am not interested in playing DVD's just using it as a huge 42" monitor on occasion. Thought it would be fun to play on 42" instead of 22".
As I said earlier, the 42" TV is still the same resolution as a 24" PC monitor. The pixels are just bigger which shouldn't cause any additional strain to your PC.

leon2006

Distinguished
The powerDVD to Blue-Ray/HD-DVD that comes with the drive supports 2. channel sound only. You need to buy the full featured software to have the 7.1 sound.

Cyberlink owes me another patch for vista-64/8800gt. Until i have that i will hold on to buying my the full software.

TRENDING THREADS