I need a little help with power supplies.

totakeke

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I have a few questions about power supplies.

1. I've found a few good ones, but none of them are RoHS compliant. Should I get one that's RoHS compliant? I know a lot of companies are trying to reduce the hazardous substances in their electronics, and it's important to me. (I like being lead-free. ;))

2. Would a 750 watt power supply be overkill for this system?

■Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
■nVidia 8800 GTX GPU
■2 SATA Hard Drives
■1 DVD Drive
■2 GB RAM
■After market CPU fan, among other case fans

I've tried PSU calculators, but I don't really trust them. (I trust real people more. :p)

3. Kind of an opinion, but how have your experiences been with PC Power and Cooling, OCZ, and Thermaltake PSUs?

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

3. Not used any of those products.

2. A good quality 550@Watt unit would be plenty. 750Watt unit would be about right for a 2nd GTX, OC'd CPU and a few more items (4GB RAM, extra HD & Blu-Ray drive, maybe a sound card or TV card, and a few extra bits and pieces stuck inside the case as you upgrade).

1. ROHS isnt an important marketing item to many so just because you can't see the RoHS listed on the Specs doesnt mean the unit isnt actually RoHS. Examples:
Seasonic S12 EPlus SS-650HT Doesnt mention RoHS. But if you look at the Seasonic Website you'll find it is RoHS and WEEE compliant.

Enermax Infinity EIN650AWT Also missing RoHS in the spec. But the website Enermax website shows the RoHS logo for this unit. And if you had sharp eyes you might have noticed the RoHS logo on the shipping case in the pictures at NewEgg.
17-194-022-09.jpg

There's probably a RoHS database somewhere, but in any case you'll have to more research to find out what you want.

rogue6

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
I have the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610, and it's been amazing. Absolutely silent, huge power, and a five-year warranty. I'd highly recommend it to anyone, and my build is quite similar to yours in makeup,; you won't have any problems with needing more power. On the RoHS issue, you'd have to check their website, but all of the other PC P&C PSUs came up in a search for 'RoHS' on newegg, so I'd say this one probably is, too, and they just forgot to write it in.

I know you didn't ask for an opinion on this, but I think most people will agree when I say DON'T buy a GTX anymore. An 8800 GTS 512MB (G92) will beat a GTX in anything but the highest resolutions, and cost WAY less money. I'd say do a quick look-around the forums about this before buying, then decide for yourself.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
If you have a resolution above about 1680x1050, I would still go with GTX, as its additional memory and memory bandwidth will help, but if you have less of a resolution you will probably get the same or better performance out of a G92 8800GTS.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Even if your resolution is 1680x1050 or above go with the GTS, they have great higher resolution support, i use mine at 1600x1200 all day long with no problems, its a great card. If you are going to use a lower resolution i would suggest a 8800 gt instead, but if your use higher resolutions, and would not like to spend 700 dollars on your video card, the GTS is the way to go.