3Gb/s - 1.5 Gb/s compatibility

BAJA

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Hi.

Can a 3Gb/s hard drive be installed on a 1.5Gb/s capable motherboard?

I already own a Saegate Sata hard drive, and it has a jumper to limit the tranfer rate.

But I'm looking for a Caviar WD or a Ultrastar Hitachi hard drive, and as far as I know, these don't have such a jumper, and just operates a 3Gb/s.

Thanks!. :)

jfurterer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
A SATA 3gb should plub into a SATA 1.5gb connector without any adapters or anything. You'll just be getting 1.5gb speeds instead of 3.

BAJA

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

:O, ohh excellent, thank you.

I was worry about if the disk would not work no my motherboard, because, I was planning using the disk before I could buy a new motherboard.

By the way, what brand or model of a hard drive would you recommend me?

My brother and I use the computer for pretty heavy jobs, like Matlab, Photoshop, and other electronic CAD programs. And extremly closely 24/7 torrent download.

Thanks!!:)

jfurterer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I do allot of Photoshop, Flash, 3Dmax, Premier so we are pretty much in the same work load. I've been a brand whore when it comes to HDDs and almost always buy Western Digital. I have one 80gb WD still running at almost 9 years old. I recently picked up a Western Digital Caviar GP 500GB. It can adjust it's RPM based on demand to save power which is a nice feature. They also make a 1TB 'green' drive as well. However Samsung Spinpoints are also top notch drives. I have one 320gb in a secondary machine and I'm very happy with it.

BAJA

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009

Ohhh, perfect!!!. So my searching was not that bad, I'm between buying a WD Black Caviar or Hitachi Dekstar, but now that you mention the Samung, I'll take a look at it.

Thank you very much!!!. :D

That's Naota, right? :lol:

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
you might need a jumper on the back of the hdd to force sata-150 as some older motherboards just won't recognize it as a primary drive (been there, done that).

pyroarchy

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
so my motherboard (tyan tiger i7501S) does not have a jumper setting but is sata 1.5gb compliant. will a 3gb sata drive still work ok? im going to use it for a xp installation and storage. maybe if it wont recognize it as primary drive i could use my old 200gb ide drive for the os?