technik733

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I am trying to build a 3dfx machine, so I have an MSI KT3 Ultra2-R with an AMD 1500+ (2x100fsb) as a placeholder cpu and I'm having a problem maintaining it's stability after it's booted...

I'm trying to get to the bios to change the fan detection setting (for some reason it doesn't like the fan I have on my heatsink, but I can switch connectors with my case fan and it will boot), but after a while it becomes sluggish (when I press the arrow keys to navigate through the bios it gradually takes longer to move to the next selection), it gradually gets slower until it freezes.

I don't have another processor to try other than a mobile 2400+ I plan on getting to work (another problem I'm having) but I've tried swapping the memory and video card, but there's nothing else to check.

Just some background on it, I bought it on ebay and it was covered in what resembled dusty motor oil (?!) that looked like it came from someone lubricating the cpu fan (not the one I'm currently using) with motor oil. I cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol and q-tips, but I'm curious to know if this might be part of the cause.

technik733

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Yeah, arctic silver. =/ And yeah it's a 1500+, it's the only one I have that will run on the boards stock speeds that doesn't require tweaking. (I'll try the 2400+ once I'm sure the board isn't bad.)

pat

Expert
check the board capacitors. They may be leaking or buldging. They should be clean(not speaking of dust here, but some kind of yellowish or brownish stuff.) with a flat top.

pat

Expert

Then you didnt see everything... there was even older ones.. like the venerable 486 dx4 100MHz I got because it was the fastest I could afford.. still more than twice than the Phenom I bought..or even worse, still more expensive than the CPU , board and 4 gigs of RAM...

technik733

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I'm building it because 3dfx rocks. =P

I'm not even putting the drives in until I get the processor to work, and currently the specs are:

MSI KT3 Ultra2-R
[strike]AMD Athlon 1500+ (2x100 fsb)[/strike] AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+ (2x133 fsb, Barton core)
3fdx Voodoo 3000 AGP/ Voodoo 5500 AGP
768mb PC-2100 DDR Memory (3x256mb Kingston Valuram)
Ultra 500w Modular PSU

And that's all that there is in it right now.

technik733

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Ok, whatever was wrong with it before is now fixed, and it looks like the motherboard is good. It seems it is only slowing down and freezing when I'm on the PC Health menu, and I think that it was fixed in a bios update I can flash it to later if it really bugs me. It appears that it is doing this because it's taking too long to refresh the sensors. (?)

Now I need help getting my mobile 2400+ to work. When I put it in and turn on the machine, nothing happens. The fans turn on, and that's about it, and it doesn't give a beep code. It seems that the motherboard is working correctly because it will shut down after I hold the button for 5 seconds (as it should), as opposed to having to switch off the power supply.

I have no experience working with Athlon mobiles, so any help would be appreciated. Oh, and for the record it IS as good chip, I've tried it in a cheapo PCChips motherboard I have lying around.

Off topic, but that PCChips board has been the most tolerant of Athlon chips. It will clock them down if it's needed to be be compatible with the board, and even set the mobile at a default 600mhz to start with. None of my other socket A boards were so... "understanding". Odd. o_O

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

there is one, ran at 1.333ghz i believe, almost got one but prices dropped on a xp 1800

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
hmmm, did you completely clean everything off after you got it? I just put together an Athlon XP 2100+ system for a co worker to let his 11 year old daughter use for getting online, and had no such problems. There may still be some oil or something on the diode that sits under the core in the socket. Granted that was with an old Abit NF7 2.0 though, and a palomino athlon xp.

The 1500+ did exist, though I thought the 1500-1800+ were almost all slot A cpu's. Actually take that back, forgot there was a socket a to slot a converter slotket.

I can't remember if the athlon XP-M is pin compatible with the regular socket a boards. Either that or you may have to do some kind of mods to get it to work right, you can find instructions for those on the internet.

technik733

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I'm using a different cpu, there was no oil on this one.

Yeah the XP-M is compatible with Socket A... The difference is that XP-Ms don't have set voltages/clocks/multipliers. And they're the best of the Barton core that AMD made because they're supposed to be more heat tolerant and use less power as they were to be used in laptops.

I am NOT using this in a laptop, or this would not be a problem.

Is there anyone on this site who's done this before? I tried doing a pinmod on my last board but it broke it for no reason. I'd rather not have to mod this to get it to run at stock speeds. I eventually want to overclock it (what else would you do with a 35w Athlon?), but I'm just having trouble POSTing right now.

pat

Expert

VIA chipset were not the best for OC with XP-M. I did OC a XP-M on a Nvidia board, and everything were easy. I just put the CPU in place, then started to play with the multiplier and FSB. Got a 1.8 GHz 2500+ M to 2,5 GHz stable on air, and got it to boot at 2.6, but I had to get better cooling to go beyond that point. The board was a Soltek SL-75frn2-rl with nforce4 ultra chipset

technik733

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Hmm... Ok. I don't think I can use that chipset because I need to stay at 2x agp for the voodoo cards. Have you ever had problems booting a mobile processor on a kt333 chipset?

TRENDING THREADS