Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 1500+ Problem...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 17, 2008 2:31:34 AM

I am trying to build a 3dfx machine, so I have an MSI KT3 Ultra2-R with an AMD 1500+ (2x100fsb) as a placeholder cpu and I'm having a problem maintaining it's stability after it's booted...

I'm trying to get to the bios to change the fan detection setting (for some reason it doesn't like the fan I have on my heatsink, but I can switch connectors with my case fan and it will boot), but after a while it becomes sluggish (when I press the arrow keys to navigate through the bios it gradually takes longer to move to the next selection), it gradually gets slower until it freezes.

I don't have another processor to try other than a mobile 2400+ I plan on getting to work (another problem I'm having) but I've tried swapping the memory and video card, but there's nothing else to check.

Just some background on it, I bought it on ebay and it was covered in what resembled dusty motor oil (?!) that looked like it came from someone lubricating the cpu fan (not the one I'm currently using) with motor oil. I cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol and q-tips, but I'm curious to know if this might be part of the cause.

More about : athlon 1500 problem

February 17, 2008 3:08:53 AM

Kinda sounds like it might be slowly overheating. You did use thermal paste on it right?
February 17, 2008 3:09:45 AM

Btw, you are sure it's a 1500? Do you mean a 2500? Because about all I've used is AMD chips, and I don't recall a 1500.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2008 3:36:09 AM

Wow! An old 1500+ Athlon XP! Sounds like you need to replace the thermal paste on the CPU cooler.
February 17, 2008 3:38:34 AM

I use to have a 1600+
February 17, 2008 4:07:27 AM

Yeah, arctic silver. =/ And yeah it's a 1500+, it's the only one I have that will run on the boards stock speeds that doesn't require tweaking. (I'll try the 2400+ once I'm sure the board isn't bad.)
February 17, 2008 4:28:13 AM

check the board capacitors. They may be leaking or buldging. They should be clean(not speaking of dust here, but some kind of yellowish or brownish stuff.) with a flat top.
February 17, 2008 4:34:25 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Btw, you are sure it's a 1500? Do you mean a 2500? Because about all I've used is AMD chips, and I don't recall a 1500.

Then you didnt see everything... there was even older ones.. like the venerable 486 dx4 100MHz I got because it was the fastest I could afford.. still more than twice than the Phenom I bought..or even worse, still more expensive than the CPU , board and 4 gigs of RAM...

February 17, 2008 4:47:51 AM

Nope, the caps are fine. And yeah I know what they look like bulging or leaking. E-machines are evil with those...
February 17, 2008 3:17:41 PM

Anyone home?
February 17, 2008 4:00:50 PM

post all the current specs of your 3dfx build... btw, good idea, what are you building this for? I use a 3dfx wrapper for all my needs...
February 17, 2008 5:13:59 PM

I'm building it because 3dfx rocks. =P

I'm not even putting the drives in until I get the processor to work, and currently the specs are:

MSI KT3 Ultra2-R
AMD Athlon 1500+ (2x100 fsb) AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+ (2x133 fsb, Barton core)
3fdx Voodoo 3000 AGP/ Voodoo 5500 AGP
768mb PC-2100 DDR Memory (3x256mb Kingston Valuram)
Ultra 500w Modular PSU

And that's all that there is in it right now.
February 17, 2008 5:41:41 PM

Ok, whatever was wrong with it before is now fixed, and it looks like the motherboard is good. It seems it is only slowing down and freezing when I'm on the PC Health menu, and I think that it was fixed in a bios update I can flash it to later if it really bugs me. It appears that it is doing this because it's taking too long to refresh the sensors. (?)

Now I need help getting my mobile 2400+ to work. When I put it in and turn on the machine, nothing happens. The fans turn on, and that's about it, and it doesn't give a beep code. It seems that the motherboard is working correctly because it will shut down after I hold the button for 5 seconds (as it should), as opposed to having to switch off the power supply.

I have no experience working with Athlon mobiles, so any help would be appreciated. Oh, and for the record it IS as good chip, I've tried it in a cheapo PCChips motherboard I have lying around.

Off topic, but that PCChips board has been the most tolerant of Athlon chips. It will clock them down if it's needed to be be compatible with the board, and even set the mobile at a default 600mhz to start with. None of my other socket A boards were so... "understanding". Odd. O_o
February 17, 2008 11:42:22 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:

there is one, ran at 1.333ghz i believe, almost got one but prices dropped on a xp 1800
February 18, 2008 12:34:11 AM

Anyone here?
February 18, 2008 12:40:52 AM

hi! I really can't help you if it's a laptop? Or does the mobile just mean it is small?
February 18, 2008 12:57:37 AM

hmmm, did you completely clean everything off after you got it? I just put together an Athlon XP 2100+ system for a co worker to let his 11 year old daughter use for getting online, and had no such problems. There may still be some oil or something on the diode that sits under the core in the socket. Granted that was with an old Abit NF7 2.0 though, and a palomino athlon xp.

The 1500+ did exist, though I thought the 1500-1800+ were almost all slot A cpu's. Actually take that back, forgot there was a socket a to slot a converter slotket.

I can't remember if the athlon XP-M is pin compatible with the regular socket a boards. Either that or you may have to do some kind of mods to get it to work right, you can find instructions for those on the internet.
February 18, 2008 1:38:18 AM

Ah, I think that was when I had a 1.1 ghz duron, then I think I went straight to a 2800, yeah, I missed that one, lol. I knew there was a 1700....
February 18, 2008 3:03:20 AM

I'm using a different cpu, there was no oil on this one.

Yeah the XP-M is compatible with Socket A... The difference is that XP-Ms don't have set voltages/clocks/multipliers. And they're the best of the Barton core that AMD made because they're supposed to be more heat tolerant and use less power as they were to be used in laptops.

I am NOT using this in a laptop, or this would not be a problem.

Is there anyone on this site who's done this before? I tried doing a pinmod on my last board but it broke it for no reason. I'd rather not have to mod this to get it to run at stock speeds. I eventually want to overclock it (what else would you do with a 35w Athlon?), but I'm just having trouble POSTing right now.
February 18, 2008 3:18:15 AM

technik733 said:
I'm using a different cpu, there was no oil on this one.

Yeah the XP-M is compatible with Socket A... The difference is that XP-Ms don't have set voltages/clocks/multipliers. And they're the best of the Barton core that AMD made because they're supposed to be more heat tolerant and use less power as they were to be used in laptops.

I am NOT using this in a laptop, or this would not be a problem.

Is there anyone on this site who's done this before? I tried doing a pinmod on my last board but it broke it for no reason. I'd rather not have to mod this to get it to run at stock speeds. I eventually want to overclock it (what else would you do with a 35w Athlon?), but I'm just having trouble POSTing right now.

VIA chipset were not the best for OC with XP-M. I did OC a XP-M on a Nvidia board, and everything were easy. I just put the CPU in place, then started to play with the multiplier and FSB. Got a 1.8 GHz 2500+ M to 2,5 GHz stable on air, and got it to boot at 2.6, but I had to get better cooling to go beyond that point. The board was a Soltek SL-75frn2-rl with nforce4 ultra chipset
February 18, 2008 3:32:06 AM

Hmm... Ok. I don't think I can use that chipset because I need to stay at 2x agp for the voodoo cards. Have you ever had problems booting a mobile processor on a kt333 chipset?
February 18, 2008 5:00:10 AM

I never tried that, but I did use a kt400, which was a soyo mobo, not great for overclocking.
February 18, 2008 5:01:30 AM

I can't use a KT400, it uses agp 8x.
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2008 6:19:43 AM

Its MSI - expect issues like this.
February 18, 2008 7:15:03 AM

It's their best model in their kt3 line. It's supposed to be rock solid... And your post wasn't very helpful. >_>
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2008 9:10:10 AM

Mathos said:
hmmm, did you completely clean everything off after you got it? I just put together an Athlon XP 2100+ system for a co worker to let his 11 year old daughter use for getting online, and had no such problems. There may still be some oil or something on the diode that sits under the core in the socket. Granted that was with an old Abit NF7 2.0 though, and a palomino athlon xp.

The 1500+ did exist, though I thought the 1500-1800+ were almost all slot A cpu's. Actually take that back, forgot there was a socket a to slot a converter slotket.

I can't remember if the athlon XP-M is pin compatible with the regular socket a boards. Either that or you may have to do some kind of mods to get it to work right, you can find instructions for those on the internet.

the days of the ~550 - ~800's were slot A days, and the 1500+ was the first of the Athlon XP's, pre that there was the athlon 800 - 1400 for socket A.
February 18, 2008 10:20:50 AM

the kt333 chipset was fairly new, so if it support your video card, then all socket A motherboard support it. AGP 8X is backward compatible with 2X.
February 18, 2008 12:26:51 PM

Actually, there was such a thing as an Athlon Xp 1400 + though it was not around for very long. Also, there was such a thing as a socket 1 Athlon/Duron 800. I know this because I owned one of each.

I have had some experience with these mobile processors in the past. I would check so see if your board has jumpers to set the FSB range for the processor. I bet it does which means that you need to move your jumpers around in order for your board to properly recognize your chip. Your jumpers need to be set to a 333 FSB (i.e. 2x166) if that mobile core is a Barton core.

Check that and get back to us
February 18, 2008 3:11:24 PM

@ Pat: No, it's not. 8x uses a different voltage than my cards will accept. They are a bit old so they only work in the older agp slots because of the voltage requirements. I've tried it in my SK8T800 setup, trust me.

It doesn't have jumpers, except for the audio chip, (!?) and the cmos reset. That's it.
And no, it's a 266mhz fsb mobile.

I'm gonna try flashing it to an updated bios, because apparently it only supports the 2400 (Desktop model) with an update, and it also supports 333mhz CPU fsb with it.
February 18, 2008 4:54:54 PM

If I remember right, I think my kt400 would actually let you set agp speed in the bios.....don't quote me, but I think it did, though it's been a while since I toyed with it. Recently got rid of it as it was just collecting dust.
February 18, 2008 5:17:51 PM

Yes, it will let you set it, but I'm absolutely sure that it will not for in an 8x slot. Geez, can anyone here help me get it to work on THIS board?
February 18, 2008 8:40:31 PM

W00T! Flashing the bios fixed it, after digging through tons of old floppies trying to find a 98 boot disk and a drive that still worked. It even works with my 333mhz FSB 2600+! Thanks for all the help. =D :love:  :pt1cable:  :wahoo: 
February 19, 2008 3:22:34 PM

I'm still behind a 3dfx voodoo 5 5500 (the one with 2 g-processors...)
Lol, I had a XP1700 T-bred core, it was one of the greatests upgrades I ever did, jumped from a P3 750.
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2008 6:11:25 AM

kona said:
Actually, there was such a thing as an Athlon Xp 1400 + though it was not around for very long. Also, there was such a thing as a socket 1 Athlon/Duron 800. I know this because I owned one of each.

I have had some experience with these mobile processors in the past. I would check so see if your board has jumpers to set the FSB range for the processor. I bet it does which means that you need to move your jumpers around in order for your board to properly recognize your chip. Your jumpers need to be set to a 333 FSB (i.e. 2x166) if that mobile core is a Barton core.

Check that and get back to us

socket 1 was in the 486 days, as for the 1400+ it was designed as a mobile cpu.
!