Drive failures with several 1TB+ drives

J-R0d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I know that there have been a lot of posts made about large drive failures. So, since I am rather annoyed at my recent bout with them, I wanted to share what I had bought, and the failures...

I have had 3 external drive fail. This is really starting to annoy me...

Drive 1 is 250G external Maxtor 2.5 laptop drive. It was the first to go. Started getting the whirrrrr click whirrrrr click in the drive followed by read and write errors. Most of the data on it was copies from two other sources. But I had also just copied a bunch of my stuff into it that is not going to be easy to recover...

So, I go get a 1.0TB Maxtor NAS drive. I set it up, and started copying data to it. Came home from being out for a few days, and it is setting there with a Red status indicator. Re-booted it several times and you can hear the head seeking around and just generally doing stupid things, and the thing was a dead as a doornail. Took it back to Best Buy where it was purchased from and asked for a refund. It was 2 days outside of the 30 day return policy so the best they would do was store credit. So, I returned it and just picked up a 1.5TB external Seagate.

Spent all day yesterday copying data into the drive. Powered it up this morning, and started getting delayed write errors along with whirrrr click whirrr click.

I have a stack of old IDE drives, and I have never had this sort of failure rate with stuff ever. I know on most stuff that they either seem to fail right of the bat, or last forever. But honestly, this is really annoying me.... I think one of the things I am going to look at is buying the more expensive server class drives and putting them in my own enclosure. I have really begun to question the quality of the pre-packaged units.

I think the other things that seems to be mandatory is to put the drive through a stress test to check for initial failures. I am really disappointed as this level of failure is just simply unacceptable. I think also I may just step down to small capacity drives as the larger drives seem to have amuch higher fail rate based on some informal looking...

Laska

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I have an HP that has gone thru @ 3 HDD's [2 USB] and I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem in their system as I have noticed others with HP's & Compaq's seem to have issues

rforce

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Be careful with the 1.5TB Seagate. There is a firwmare issue with this line of hard drives which could cause that drive to suddenly fail. You may want to check the Seagate website to confirm that your hard drive is in the clear...otherwise, you could find yourself replacing that drive in the next couple of months.