8800GTS (g92) overclock advice

Ok so Im super excited. I just took went home over lunch and got my new XFX 8800GTS Alpha Dog video card. I pulled out the Sapphire x1900xtx and popped this bad boy in. After uninstalled the ATi software of course. I didn't have much time but the first thing I noticed was a DRASTIC decrease in memory usage. The ATI drivers are so big. Also I only have a short time so i installed 3Dmark05 and ran it once. Previously i got a total score around 13900 ish (+ or -) a little. First time around on this bad boy pure stock I got 19114. I was so excited I almost wet myself. over 5000 points just on a video card upgrade.

Anyways. I plan to run this stock for few nights and play some games. I want to start midly Ocing this then. I see people are using RivaTuner which I will try out. Is this what everyone uses or the best thing to use. I know ATI cards jump in and out of 2D and 3D mode to save power, do nVidia cards do the same? I don't want to OC and have it running full bore all the times unless gaming. I need some clarification on this one. Also. I used ATI Tray tools before and had a cool HUD that was in the upper corner that game me my FPS and also had it set to display the GPU temp. If there something similar for nvidia or anything out there that has a small footprint that will to the job?

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

Not sure about displaying GPU temp in games, but FRAPS will give you your FPS via small yellow numbers in whichever corner of the game you choose.

Nice choice on the video card btw........:D

praeses

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I dont believe the 8800GT/GTS(G92) cards have separate 2D/3D profiles. I think they technically use separate profile all the time. Earlier cards within the same family clock up and down however. I have been looking for a tool that would handle it in software atleast (application detection) like the old software from many years ago but sadly haven't found one that quite works right. I am currently running 750/1000 for my day to day, but I'ld sooner not waste power and consequently heat my apartment if possible.

There is NvTray (NVIDIA Tray Tools) but it has not been updated in 2-3 years. It was based on some of Ray Adam's work on ATI Tray Tools. There are plenty of tools that display the temperature in the system tray but I'm not sure of any that will overlay it while gaming for NVIDIA.

Happy software hunting.

Rivatuner can and does.

I might look into this tonight. I like just seeing it there. The stupid nerd in me says so.

Hey $280 after $20 mail in rebate. It's the non OC stock card but it still kicks butt. I can OC myself when the time comes.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
You might have to manually add GTS support to Rivatuner.

GPU temp won't be available during a game but you can keep it open to watch it.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I didn't, had to add 600h to the G92 line in the Rivatuner Config File.

Edit: To do driver level overclocking.