Critique my upgrade plan

rewd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I have a bit of cash to blow so I was thinking of upgrading my computer. The basics of what I currently have:

ASUS P5 DH Deluxe 775 ATX MOBO
Intel Pentium D 940 3.2GHz
Radeon x1900xt 512
2x1gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
2x 250GIG 7200RPM SATA HDs
XP Home

My possible upgrade:

Intel C2D E8400
4x2GIG Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
Vista Ultimate

I do a lot of MMO gaming and some single player games (oblivion, looking to try crysis, etc). I'm thinking about a new video card too but I'm not really up on what the latest and greatest is. Some opinions would be useful. Hell, does anyone think I would even need to get a new one or is the x1900xt still decent by current standards?

Few questions/concerns:

I've never upgraded a processor before. My MOBO can definitely handle a C2D. How hard is it to remove the old processor for the new one? And I'm pretty sure the version of XP I'm using was OEM. If I wipe the hard drive I can install Vista on it, correct?

Sorry for any ignorance it's been a while since I've researched this stuff. And thanks for any help/opinions!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Putting in a CPU is not at all difficult. There are clips holding the HSF that you have to raise and at least with AMD you have to use a small flathead to release a couple of clips. I remember seeing instructions on the Intel sire a few years ago. Install is even easier. While you might be able to do it with the mobo in the case, it's much easier and safer to take the board out, especially if you've never done it before. It would be a good idea to format the hdd when you install Vista but be sure to back up your data because it will wipe every thing out.

rewd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
right on about formatting. that's exactly what I was thinking about doing anyway. I won't have any problems going from an OEM XP to an OEM Vista with the same motherboard? I'm a little confused on that.

tlmck

Distinguished
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that MB has a 975 chipset. If you, I do not believe it is upgradeable to the newer E8 CPU's. You might wish to double check.

Also, here is the Intel video for installing their CPU. http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/241215.htm

The only thing that negates the OEM license to my knowledge is a new MB. If you call MS and tell them your old one died, they will usually give you a new serial number for XP. Have not tried yet on Vista.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

They'll be no problem with Vista and the mobo if you do a full format. When you install or update the mobo drivers just make sure you're using the 64bit drivers. If this is a version that's never been used, then no problem with the installation. If it's been on another machine, you'll likely will have to do a phone Activation, which takes about 5 to 10 minutes including wait time. You can use OEM with another mobo if you "had" to replace your mobo. When you cal to activate just answer the questions they ask, no volunteer anything or get in a conversation. You don't need a new SN. Never had a problem with activation and I've "had" to replace any number of times, I must be hard on mobo :) Generally when I call I just tell them I upgraded some parts like the RAM and hdd and when I tried to Activate Windows a message said to call this number and that's what I'm doing. You can't run it on more than one machine legally. Think tlmck is right but that mobo and the 8400. Check the BIOS updates and see what it says re CPUs, there is one for quad.
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1198&l1=3&l2=11&l3=248

tlmck

Distinguished
Based on info from Intel and ASUS sites, it is a no. It does not even support the newer 1333 FSB Core2Duos, only the older 1066 FSB chips, including the Q6600 quad.

You would need to upgrade to a newer P35 chipset MB or beyond.

rewd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Looks like a BIOS update that came out on the 11th of this month will allow this MB to support the e8400. Is that all that's required for me to not have to get a new MB too?

tlmck

Distinguished
I would save that link so in case it does not work, you can ask ASUS for a refund on the CPU. :)

I am interested to see if you get full performance out of it. I don't ever recall a BIOS update that increased the FSB.

rewd

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I've been searching and haven't been able to find anyone else that's done it. If I can't find any accounts of other people doing this it's probably not worth the risk. I'd just end up getting a new MB at that point.