new build (or upgrade old?) almost narrowed down...

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Ok... I did some checking around locally, and think I pretty much got it almost narrowed down...

If I build from parts...

CASE:
don't have much info available about local ones. I may get one from NewEgg, but I'll probably also check around at the local stores in person, too. I don't want to spend more than necessary. Under $25 would be best, but I could go up to $40 or $50. Minimum 4 each external 5.25" and internal 3.5" bays, front USB and audio, 2 fans at least one of which is 120mm (or POSSIBLY 2 80mm fans), side air vent (and no, this case, if it's my own build, will not be going into the aforementioned cubbyhole)

PSU:
Antec 430W is $65 at a local store, $60 at Fry's (online). The Basiq 350W is $40 @ Fry's. NewEgg has the , or for the [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004]same price, the Basiq 500W.
Los Huevos also has the Basiq 350W for $20 for the OEM or $40 for the retail. Would the $20 one be ok? I don't want to spend any more on the PSU than I have to. If I ever get a high-end video card, or plug more than a total of 6 HDs or DVDs in at once, I'll probably upgrade to a better PSU when the need arises. For now, though, I'd like to spend no more than $40 for the PSU.

MOBO (all AM2):
Asus M2N-MX SE = $53 @ Technology Depot. (It only has 2 SATA ports and 2 RAM slots, though)
Asus M2A-VM = $65 @ Technology Depot.
Gigabyte GA MA69GM-S2H = $69 @ Best Deal Computers (in Chula Vista)
(Note: all 3 links are for images of display ads in a local magazine, with other things advertised on the same page)

CPU (all Athlon):
3200 = $46 @ Technology Depot
3800+ = $55 @ Technology Depot
X2 4000 = $70 @ Technology Depot
(note: Technology Depot has CPU listings here but there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy on prices listed there vs the ones listed in the magazine display ad.
X2 4200+ = $75 @ Micro PC Outlet (Chula Vista) or $79 @ ChipsAndMemory.com (Kearny Mesa - more convenient location (I'm in El Cajon))

RAM:
1GB Kingston DDR2-667 = $25 @ Best Bytes Computer Sources
2GB (1 stick) Kingston DDR2-667 = $49 @ MicroPC Outlet (Chula Vista)

HDD (all Western Digital SATA-2 7200rpm 16mb):
500GB = $99 @ chipsandmemory.com (shows as $104 online for the KS version
750GB = $129 @ Best Bytes Computer Sources

DVD+-RW
not much info on the locals. For an 18X, there's a Sony for $31 or a Samsung for $35. For a 20X, LiteOn or Pioneer is $29. Add lightscribe, and ASUS or LiteOn is $37. Chances are I might be better off browsing the local stores. I would like to have lightscribe available, but considering I have to get special discs to use it, I'll probably not require it.

Keyboard & Mouse
We have an unused set sitting around here so I'll use that for now.

OS
We have a Windows 2000 CD that I'll most likely use (although I'll want to get XP Professional later - it's about $125 at one local place, but you have to purchase hardware too.) One concern is the large HDD I'm planning to purchase, that I would like to have as all one partition, and the 28-bit (127 or 137GB) LBA limit.
Should any MOBO I'm considering support it?
Also, I have a Promise Ultra100 TX2 card in my parents' PC (with the K6T266 Pro2 Mobo, Win 2000 SP4, a 200GB HDD of which 127GiB is formatted). Should I take it out (it's mine anyway) and put it in my own build?
Also, what about getting 2000 to work with the large HD? I see that I need at least SP3 (I'll plan to have probably SP4, or if there is such thing, MAYBE SP5), and I'll need to add an EnableBigLBA registry key.
What about the installation and HD partitioning, though? I also have an 80GB HD, and a 250GB HD split into 2 120GiB partitons. Should I install the OS onto one of those, patch it, etc, THEN install the 500GB or 750GB HD? (Once the larger HD is installed, something upwards of 60 to 80GB (won't all fit on the 80 or 250 I now have) of my stuff will be coming off my parents' 200G (127 formatted) HD.

OR.... buying a pre-built system locally:

Technology Depot - looking at the Advance System, but it doesn't seem like all that good of a deal.

Best Bytes Computer Sources:
P4 775 System: Cel 3.0 for $199 or Cel 3.2 for $209 or P4 for $249, OR...
AM2 System: probably X2 4400+ for $279, or where's the sweet spot on these for price/performance?
Core2Duo System: probably E4500 2.2GHz for $329, or is there a sweet spot somewhere above that?

Best Deal Computers:
BD System #1 AMD Dual-Core - X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz = $295 (others also available, but leaning toward economy for now)
BD System #0 barebone - Intel 327 Cel 3.0GHz $229, Intel 631 P4 3.0GHz $258, Intel E4500 Core2Duo 2.2Ghz $321.
BD System #4 Intel Core2Duo - E4500 2.2Ghz $333, other options also available.

If I get a pre-built, I can, although very temporarily, live with a 160GB HD. Chances are, though, I might buy that 750GB WD linked/mentioned above cause I believe it's a very good deal.

What would you say, generally, is the best deal on the pre-builts? If I haven't already made it clear, I do NOT want to get one of the national brands, i.e. Dell, Gateway, Lenovo, HP, eMachines, etc. I prefer to buy from a local store if I get a prebuilt.

Another hybrid option would be to get one of the prebuilts, then get a better PSU (unless whatever one comes with it is fine for my use), a bigger HD (although I can live with 160 for a few months - it's just that 500 or 750 is a much better deal if I'm building my own), another GB or 2 of RAM (considering I'm going with onboard video) but would the 1GB be fine? (Note: i very regularly take my parents' PC - 256MB plus swap, up to over 600 or 700MB peak limit, and have been known to tax my brother's 1GB (Athlon 1.2MHz) sometimes.)

I'll probably want to upgrade later (but not within 12 months). This, for now, is basically to get me off my parents' computer. Later additions would include, but not be limited to, a decent video card (but not necessarily an 8800 series), a better PSU, faster CPU (and a new mobo if I have to - I'm not requiring quad-core support on my current DIY), XP Professional, larger HD when I run out of room on the 750, etc...

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Ok.. almost decided, except for a few things...

CASE:
Rosewill R222-P-BK - $20.99 + 13.92ship
Raidmax Symphony ATX-308 - $24.99 + 14.99ship
Is the Rosewill OK, or should I go for the Raidmax?

PSU:
I'll be checking around locally, but I'd also consider one from NewEgg. I don't want to spend more than $40 to $50 before rebate. In addition to my proposed config below, I already have 2 7200rpm IDE hard drives (80GB and 250GB), as well as a few various USB devices that I occasionally plug in (cell phone, card reader, digital camera, mp3 recorder, etc).
For example, would the Anteq Basic 350-watt PSU be enough? It's $20 for the OEM version on NewEgg, or $40 for the retail version.
When I spend more than $150 in upgrades (based on today's prices) I'll plan to get a better PSU.

MOBO (AM2): Asus M2A-VM = $65 (local store)
CPU: Athlon 3200 = $46 (at a local store)
RAM: 2GB (1 stick) Kingston DDR2-667 = $49 (at a local store)
HD: 750GB WD 16m 7200rpm SATA 3g/s = $129 (local store)

DVD+-RW
Either I decide when I go to the local store (maybe Fry's), or... on NewEgg, are there any brands I should avoid if I'm getting one under $30 (or $35 for lightscribe)?

I already have a keyboard, mouse, and OS install CD (Windows 2000 Professional).

I'd consider a pre-built (see the above post for a few I'd consider), but not with less than the above specs (except I COULD probably get by temporarily with a smaller HD, but I'd be buying a larger one much sooner if I, say, got a 160GB in a prebuilt.)
Also, last time I was in Fry's, I didn't really see any pre-builts that I liked for the price. Also, I don't want one of the national brands - I'd rather get something locally assembled. (One exception, if applicable, would be a national brand based in San Diego, CA.)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
What is your total budget and how are you going to use the machine? Recently use that Gigabyte board in one of my grandkids computer, compare it with the ASUS on newegg see what the difference. Not sure what it is but I usually buy ASUS and for some reason the Gigabyte looked better

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006

Total budget is as low as I can possibly get it, like around $400 or so, plus tax & shipping (but not to exceed a total of $500, even with slightly upgraded components). That doesn't include the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and OS, all of which I already have.
Two things I don't want to skimp on are the RAM and HD. For RAM, minimum 1GB, preferably 1 stick of 2GB. For the HD, minimum 500GB, and I'm eyeing a 750GB Western Digital I can get locally for $129.

Usage includes music composing and editing (including pre-recorded audio), DVD/CD authoring, some video editing (mainly from my camera, for example making several clips into a DVD and changing the audio track, etc (but probably not right away cause I can't afford higher-end hardware right now), photo editing, archival of hundreds or so old analog cassettes / LPs (again, that can wait, in this case, mainly until I can afford a sound card with multiple (at least 8 simultaneous, preferably more) inputs and good-quality tape decks / turntables that can squeeze the best quality possible out of old worn-out media (the players I now have are worthy of descriptions that are probably not permitted in this forum)), and occasional light gaming (for example, Scorched Earth 3D, Half-Life 1, Total Annihilation, probably not more than a few hours a week (and by my standards, my parents' Athlon 1.4GHz, 256MB RAM, Windows 2000, GeForce4 MX 400 config works just fine, and I could even live with a little less gaming power (but not less for what I posted above that I will be doing more often).

A few things I'm having trouble with figuring out... what are some good budget PSUs that'll be enough to power my system, and take into account adding another HD, a low to mid-level video card, and a low to mid-level dual-core CPU later? Also I've noticed several different SATA DVD burners within a few bucks of each other on NewEgg (with the lightscribe ones being a few $ more expensive, all in the $30 or so range (35 or so for the LS)). How would you suggest deciding which one to get? Most of the specs that matter to me look the same, and I don't care how they look cosmetically.

(Note: I plan to get XP Professional later, like in a couple months or so. Also, I could probably postpone one or two things like the DVD burner (if I can figure out how to network with my parents' DVD burner).

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The thing you're running into is that what you're doing is CPU intensive and you really need a faster processor. Would suggest something like this. Didn't fully price it out but should be around $500. The PSU that comes with the case isn't the greatest but will work and you eventually move up to a quad core in the future.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811147055
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130085
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131234
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820211174
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16821104104
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148136
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103228

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006

Rosewill R5717 SL 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply with Tool-Free kits - $44.99
This is something that might be ok.

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - $94.99
You must have seen "gaming". I DID mention it was basically very light gaming, as an afterthought. I'm happy if I can get 640x480 at 25fps with low to medium detail level settings in the older titles I mentioned. So.. I hope onboard video would be fine. If I absolutely MUST get a video card, I don't want to spend more than $40 or $50 for my first one, for example an ATI X1550 or lower, or GeForce 7300 or lower, or something like that. When I want a nicer video card, I also want video capture capability from analog sources (VHS, for example).

ASUS M3A AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $99.99
This is much higher price than I've been looking at, ESPECIALLY considering it doesn't have onboard video. I'd like one like this, but seeing that I can't afford it, I'm willing to go with micro ATX, no quad-core upgrade path on this mobo, on-board video (probably GeForce 6100 or 7xx0 series or ATI X1250 or similar) (but same DIMM, SATA, IDE connectors). I also don't need S/PDIF (btw what's that used for?).

A-DATA Extreme Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $51.99
Wouldn't the Kingston value RAM work just fine? I can get it for $50 locally or $40 on newegg last I checked.
Also, if absolutely necessary to save $, I COULD live with 1GB temporarily, but I'd rather start with 2GB.

MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Internal USB 2.0 digital card reader with Floppy Drive Model FA404M BLK - $18.99
I don't need a floppy, and I already have an external card reader (which, though, I don't think supports SDHC). Although, for the price and if it stays within my slightly flexible budget, it might work if it can use every card format out there.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $109.99
I can get a 500GB for $99, or a 750GB for $129 locally.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - $169.99
*GASP!* I'm not even considering anything over $80. If I NEED a dual-core, wouldn't a 4000+ or 4200+ be enough for now? (I could even start with a single core like a 3000 series or so.)

Also, many of the components, for example RAM, HDD, CPU, etc, I would like to get locally (and for the components I'm considering, taking into account shipping on NewEgg and the fact that I have to pay tax on the huevo, they're a better deal locally (for example, the Western Digital 750GB SATA 3G/s 7200rpm 16MB buffer for $129)). The bulky ones (MOBO, case, etc) I may order from somewhere and have shipped.

I know I mentioned a few intensive things I'd like to do, but that'll come later (the video editing, for example).

Basically, I am "upgrading" from my parents' computer (getting my own), so I basically want something better than what they have (with a TON of storage capacity and decent amount of RAM). Their config is:
MSI K6T266 Pro2 Mobo
mid tower case with 4 ext 5.25", 2 ext 3.5", 2 (or maybe 3) int 3.5" bays, and 300W PSU with a 15A 12V rail
LiteOn DVD burner (a year old or so)
floppy (I don't need one)
AMD 1.4GHz Athlon CPU (single core)
Promise Ultra100TX2 PCI HDD controller (this is mine - I'll be taking it out probably so I can use (hopefully soon to be) my 750GB HD with Windows 2000, which I already have.
200GB HDD (formatted as 127GB due to the LBA limit and not knowing at the time how to work around it). I have upwards of 75-80GB of my stuff on there, plus a nearly full 80 and 250GB HD of my own (the 80 is currently not physically installed). I'll plan to get my stuff off my parents' HDs, get my 250 out of their PC, and install it, the 80G, and the 750G in my own PC. (Also, I plan to install a copy of Windows 2000 I already have on the 80GB (to avoid the LBA limit issues, then apply the patches / registry tweaks as necessary, THEN install the 750. (I think the 250 hopefully shouldn't be a problem because it's split into 2 equal partitions.)
GeForce4 MX 400 video card (Shouldn't even on-board X1250 or GF6100 be as good as this?)
256MB DDR-266 RAM

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You could shave some off with a different CPU, something like a 4200+ and could go with the 7600GT. It's easy enough to add storage and it's pretty inexpensive. I would keep the board so you could upgrade to a Penryn when you have the money. If this is just a year or so stop gap and then build a better one, you could go with a less extensive mobo.

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006

I would consider this a stop gap. When I upgrade again (hopefully in about 12 to 18 months) I'll want to something SIGNIFICANTLY better, for example, based on today's technology, a 2.8GHz dual-core or 2.4GHz quad-core CPU, ATX MOBO with at least 7 PCI/PCI-Express/etc slots, 8 SATA ports, 2 IDE ports, 8 USB ports, etc, 1 to 1.5TB storage (2 500GB or 750GB HDs), 2 DVD writers (and not the cheapies - more likely Plextor or something like that, a good-quality 600W or better PSU, an 8800 video card, video capture card, sound card with at least 8 simultaneous inputs, a good keyboard & mouse, a full tower case with at least 6 to 8 each ext 5.25" and int 3.5" bays, 2 120mm fans on the rear & 1 120mm fan on the front, 1 200mm fan on top & 1 300mm fan on the side, etc....
In the meantime, since this IS a stopgap, wouldn't either mobo I mentioned above work just fine for now, with the onboard video?

With my current budget, and considering the price is BEFORE rebates on the Corsair, I think the TK is my best bet of the two.

In the meantime, I desperately need a larger HD, while I'm still using my parents' computer. Chances are I might go out and buy that 750, maybe tomorrow if I get by the store that has it. Thing is, it's a SATA drive, and my parents' computer doesn't have any SATA ports. Is there any good inexpensive (for example, under $10-15, maybe $20) way to plug it into my parents' computer? (I'd prefer external, even if it was as simple/cheapskate as getting a $5 USB 2.0 adapter card (their mobo only has 1.1 built in) and a $2 USB to SATA cable, or something like that.)

Note: Also, tomorrow, since I'm probably going to try to see about finding work (and visiting a couple piano stores in San Marcos in the meantime (I'm a piano tuner/tech)), I may try to stop by the geeks.com retail outlet in Oceanside. Anything you'd suggest I get from there?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If this is a stop gap, I'd go with pretty much with your original build but I would definitely compare the 3 mobo on newegg. I'd also also go with 2 x 1GB of RAM, A DATA makes good inexpensive RAM, have them in a couple of my machines. For the $9 I'd go with the X2 4200+ over the 4000+. As for storage, I'd get about 2 x what your using now and get more later, prices keep going done. Sounds like you really need your own machine ASAP. You should definitely check the price of the build on newegg, create a wish list, and compare to buying locally. Of course living in CA, you likely have to pay sales tax at newegg so the savings may not be that much but worth checking out. Rosewell does make some decent cases without the PSU but again for stop gap the one I suggested would work

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Well... I've made a start.

I got a 750GB WD HD for $129. (Also, since I'm plugging it into my parents' computer for now, I got a USB 2.0 PCI card and a USB to IDE/SATA adapter cable.)

As for the rest of it, should I build from scratch (including the parts I already have), or get one of the builds from the places whose ads are duplicated here and upgrade/change a few indiviual components (mobo, PSU, etc)?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Always better to build, you know the parts going into the machine, you get better warranties, parts are warranted from 3yrs to lifetime depending on the part, usually save a some money, and nice to look at a machine and know it's yours, you picked the parts and put it together, can be satisfying. Could be a chick magnet if you can find any that are impressed with guys that build their own machine :)

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Antec NSK6580 Black/Silver w/430W PSU - $79.99, free shipping
Would this case be a good buy? It's more than I want to pay for a case, and only has 1 120mm fan, but I can get another one or two for a few bucks, and it includes the Antec Earthwatts EA-430 PSU, normally $54.99 by itself.

Or, should I get the Antec Earthwatts EA-380 for $34.99, and one of the 2 following cases?:
Rosewill R-222-P-BK - $20.99 + 13.92 shipping
Rosewill R604P SL - $24.99 + 14.84 shipping

Should I go for this Asus M2A-VM HDMI MOBO for $74.99 + 6.33 ship, or would this Foxconn A690GM2MA for $68.99 + 6.33 ship be ok? Or, I could get a non-HDMI M2A-VM for $65 locally. (I don't see any reason why I'd need the HDMI.) (I was trying to find something under $60, but I was having to make too many sacrifices while searching el Huevo Nuevo.)

Is the Athlon 64 X2 4000+ CPU for $59.99, free shipping ($70 locally) worth the extra $20 over the Athlon 64 LE-1600 CPU?

Should I get the Kingston 2GB DDR-667 RAM for $44.99 + 4.99 shipping from NewEgg, or get it locally for $49? (I'd have to pay tax on NewEgg anyway.)

I can't decide what DVD+-RW to get. I'd like one under $35, the lower the better. Lightscribe would be a plus, but I won't require it. SATA IS required, though. It looks like there's several brands at/near the same price point, like Sony, Asus, LG, Lite-On, etc - what would you recommend?

I already got a 750GB hard drive.

There's a keyboard & mouse sitting here that I probably could use, or, could anyone recommend a standard keyboard (extra multimedia/internet/etc keys might be a plus) and an optical scrollwheel mouse for no more than $15 shipped & taxed?

I already have a monitor.

I also have a Windows 2000 CD, but if possible would like to get XP Pro ASAP. I heard today on Leo Laporte's show that XP won't be sold after June 30. Anyone know where I can get a legal copy of XP Professional for under $110? I can get it for $124 locally if I buy some hardware from the same location. (would the 2GB of RAM I mentioned above work, or can I show them my receipt for the 750GB HD from a different store?)

OR... could someone suggest a pre-built machine with the same or better components for a lower price than the sum of the prices of the above separate components (and no, don't factor in 2 cases or 2 mobos to boost the max build price just cause I couldn't decide between one or the other above)?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Go with the Antec case, PSU is much better and Antec cases are very good. THe X2 4000+ is definitely worth the extra money, dual core, which is the standard today. This A DATA RAM is good and DDR2 800 and less expensive. Samsung, Lite On, LG, and ASUS all make good DVD RW. Personally I like Samsung but it's a toss up, really no difference in performance. I have seen anything saying Microsoft won't be selling XP after 6/30, have no idea where that is coming from. Is there a reason want XP Pro? With that machine XP would work fine unless you're using a server and OEM is $89. There is no prebuilt machine that will be better than the one you build, your parts will be better and the warranty will be better, parts are warranted from 3 years to lifetime. I'd go with the ASUS mobo, ASUS and GIGABYTE are right now the 2 best mobo mfg out there. Recently used his Gigabyte on a machine that my granddaughter and I put together for her. Not even sure why I picked it over the ASUS given I usually buy ASUS boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211165
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128056

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
That's a decent price for 2 1GB sticks. I was looking at 1 2GB stick (so I still have more slots available). Any suggestions for that?

That GB board is one I was considering, too. Don't know why I "dropped" it, if I did. Right now I don't have time to look around though cause I might be out of town for the day.

I looked at some comparison of XP home vs pro and figured there are several features (don't remember which right now) that I don't want to be without that only pro has.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

It's better to go with 2 x 1GB so you'll have dual channel. The most you would ever run, and it's not likely on that machine, would be 4GB and you'd have 2 unused slots

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
How much better would the dual channel performance (2 sticks of 1GB) be over one stick of 2GB?

Also that A-Data you linked is out of stock, so which one of these would you recommend? (I don't do MIRs, btw, unless it's already a good deal before rebate.)

Is the Lite-On 20X SATA DVDRW (with Lightscribe and Nero 7 Essentials) for $35.99 worth the extra $6 over the Lite-On 20X SATA DVDRW w/o LS? I figure it wouldn't be worth it to shave a few bucks off to get the OEM version, cause I'd need the SATA cable anyway.

So.... if I get the Antec case, Asus or GB board, X2 CPU and 1GB RAM, install a copy of Win 2000 I already have, and plug in my 750GB, 250GB and 80GB HDs, will I at least have a functioning system? (Then when I can afford it I could buy XP Pro, a DVDRW and another GB of RAM.) Or what am I missing? Will I be condemned to eternal agonizing pain in the gluteus maximus for my choice in hardware?

Also, which of the 2 boards would you say is better, the Asus or the GB that we were talking about? I don't know if I'll need the Raid function on the one that has it.

Oh... and... if it's OK to hijack my own thread...

We're trying to backup my dad's 200GB HD to my 750 so we can increase the partition size from 127GB to 200GB. I got a $7 USB 2.0 card and a $12 USB-SATA adapter to plug in the 750. (the mobo is a MSI K7T266 Pro2 ver 2.0)
Transfer speeds through the card are no faster than onboard USB 1.1 (and possibly a little slower.) Does that mean the board doesn't support USB 2.0 even with the add-on card?
Also, I can't see the USB-SATA connected HD on bootup - bios doesn't recognize it. My bro was saying I shoulda gotten a SATA adapter and/or an actual enclosure. Is it time for my dad to get a new board+CPU? (It has a Socket A Athlon 1.4GHz with 256MB DDR-266 RAM, and he's running Windows 2000 and was talking like he wants to go to XP.)

About the HD backup... What do I need to be aware of when "ghosting" one HD to another? I have a Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools CD, but when I boot off that I can't see the 750.

Just a little bit ago I started the process of moving 80GB of stuff from 1 drive to another, but canceled it cause it would take over 12-14 hours (and we actually had more like 1/4 TB of stuff to move around, or more). Is there any way to speed this up, or should I just wait till either my dad gets a new system, or I get my own (which is very likely to happen anyway - just a question of who jumps first)?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Recommend this,running this in 2 machines http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211066. Can't give you a number on the speed difference between dual channel and single but the dual is definitely faster. Don't know anyone that would knowingly run single channel

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update XION Solaris XON-403 Black with Green LED Light Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: XON-403
Item #: N82E16811208009

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

Out Of Stock
Mail-in Rebate
Auto-Notify
$39.99 $39.99

Update BIOSTAR TForce TF570SLI AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: TForce TF570SLI
Item #: N82E16813138059

In Stock
$87.99 $87.99

Update SAPPHIRE 100218L Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #: 100218L
Item #: N82E16814102703

In Stock
Mail-in Rebate
$119.99 -$20.00 Instant $99.99

Update OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: OCZ500SXS
Item #: N82E16817341012

In Stock
Mail-in Rebate
$79.99 -$10.00 Instant $69.99

Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor Model ADA4600CUBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA4600CUBOX
Item #: N82E16819103751

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

In Stock
$79.99 -$5.00 Instant $74.99

Update G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
Model #: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Item #: N82E16820231098

Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy

In Stock
$86.99 -$40.00 Instant $46.99

Update Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD1600YS
Item #: N82E16822136062

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock
$59.99 $59.99
Subtotal: $479.93

that leaves you about $20 to put towards a bigger Hdd if you want

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006

Did you intentionally link to search results of almost every A-Data product? I didn't know you could put an SD card in a DDR slot. :p :D (note to self: read the fine print at the top of the page before replying. "We apologize for the inconvenience, but the item you are looking for has been deactivated. Here are some similar products that you may wish to consider:

I already have an Antec case with a 430W PSU for $80 picked out (see a recent above post). Did you only look at the first post in the thread? Do I need to edit that post?

I'm deciding between an Asus M2A-VM or a Gigabye GA-MA69SM-S2H board, both $74.99 + $6.33 shipping.

I'm willing to live with on-board video for now.

I'm quite sure I'll be fine with the Antec PSU that comes with the case I've picked out. If I need a better PSU later, I'll upgrade when the need arises.

I'm probably getting an X2 4000+ for $59.99

Now... that MIGHT be a good deal, with free shipping to boot. But is that brand a good quality one? (Also I'm wondering why it didn't show up in my search when I restricted it to sub-$50 items - I would like it to have shown up if there's an instant savings, but it was behaving properly on the mail-in rebate items.)

I already bought a 750GB WD AAKS SATA drive for $129 at a local store.

I figure you must be looking at an earlier post in the thread. What I'm proposing getting, which I am sure will serve my needs at the current time, is hovering around the $275 to 325 range, not including the OS or HD. I have Windows 2000 Pro and a 750GB, 250GB and 80GB HDDs, and plan to upgrade to XP Pro later.

jalpaugh1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
jalpaugh1978 wrote :

Update G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
Model #: F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Item #: N82E16820231098

Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy

In Stock
$86.99 -$40.00 Instant $46.99

its working great for me so far.

I already bought a 750GB WD AAKS SATA drive for $129 at a local store
^^great deal yeah youre right i didnt really read through everthing

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Yea ok :)
A few posts up G-Paw and me were discussing... or actually it's in another thread... basically this is a stop-gap until I can afford something much better (hopefully in the $1000-2000 range) after a year or two.

pianoplayer88key

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Ok... the Asus mobo vs the GB mobo.... which is the better one? I can't decide what features one has that the other doesn't have that I want or don't need.
Among the differences I can see:
M2A-VM FSB: 1000MHz Hyper Transport (2000 MT/s). GB doesn't specify
Asus: 8GB max memory. GB: 16GB max. This probably doesn't matter to me - when I need more memory, considering other things I'll be needing then I'll probably have a different board.
Asus: PCIx16=1, PCIx1=1, PCI=2. GB: doesn't specify the PCIx1, but a picture shows a PCIx4.
Asus: SATA Raid 0/1/10, GB doesn't specify
ASUS: 1 LPT port, GB doesn't specify
ASUS: Video ports: D-Sub + DVI-I. GB: substitute DVI-D for DVI-I. doesn't support D-Sub connection by adapter.
ASUS: 3 USB 2.0 connectors support 6 ports. GB: 6 USB 2.0 (onboard USB)
ASUS: Power Pin: 24 pin. GB: 1 24-pin ATX, 1 12V 4-pin ATX connector
there's a couple other things too.

If possible, I'd like to get a few parts locally, like the CPU, RAM, etc. I have a limited amount I can put on my credit card, and if I bought everything at once from NewEgg I'd go over, even if I had paid the card off previously. I think I'll have to order the case from the egg, though due to self-with-case-transportation issues. Maybe the MOBO, too... or do you think it'll fit in a backpack?

So... to recap... so far... (and this time, you'll have to go up to see the links, I'm not linking them here)... my proposed build:
CASE: Antec with 430W PSU from the egg.
MOBO: Asus M2A-VM *OR* Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H from the egg, or local if I get a good deal.
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4000+ from the egg, unless a local place has it for less
RAM: 2GB, probably 2x1GB sticks. Would like to buy locally but don't see it under $50. Haven't checked Fry's in-store yet, may go today but don't know if I have time. good quality brand required. was looking at Kingston but open to other ideas, A-Data has been suggested in this thread.
HD: already got ripped off for $129, and overpaid by $129 :D, for a 750GB SATA WD AAKS (plus 1 each 250GB and 80GB IDEs I already had that were getting full)
DVD: Lite-On, maybe with Light-scribe, from the egg, unless I get one locally for less.
monitor: already have one.
OS: will start with Windows 2000, planned upgrade to XP Pro when I have the $.
keyboard/mouse: have one here, but probably should get my own instead of borrowing a family member's currently unused kb/rat.

About the Antec case... it only comes with the 120mm rear fan. Is there a front and side fan I should also get?