Sign in with
Your question

2 Week old build, already needs upgrades?!?

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2008 12:14:16 AM

This is my first ever build from the ground up. I wanted a system that would do anything I asked of it and after 2 weeks, for some reason, I feel that it is not as good as I wanted it to be.
Below is the description and some pics and benchmarks, and below that are some questions. Thanks for andy help, I really do appreciate it-EZ

Uber Chakra Case
Nspire 750w PSU
AC Freezer 7
Rosewill Media Cartd reader
Two-LiteOn Dvd+-Burners SATA
Two- Raptor 150's in Raid 0
One-Samsung 500gig Secondary HD
E6850 @ 3.904 GHz (Usually @ ~3.8)
EVGA 680i-A1
Two-EVGA (G92) 8800GTS 512's in SLI
4gigs (4x1) of OCZ 1066 Platinum
OCZ Ram Cooler

This picture is before the AC Freezer 7 and before I changed the PSU to the Nspire

OK, so, I get this built about 2 weeks ago and start playing with overclocking. I have never OC'd any thing before this build. I bet someone with more experience would be able to get better scores than I did.

Now I am addicted to trying to get this thing to OC. So much so that I use another computer for everything else and keep playing with this thing in BIOS more than in window...hehehe

Questions-
1. Would the 780i make ANY difference with all else the same? (PCIe 2.0 is better..No?...Yes?)
2. How much better would dual Ultras be for Benchmarks? (Just take a guess-I have no idea)
3. E8500 or Q9450? (If I am taking it apart I might as well drop in a new CPU....right?)
4. EVGA has a list of supported memory ABOVE 1066, would this be alot better than the 1066? (By how Much?)
5. What is the next part of the system that needs to have upgraded Air Cooling? ( North/South/Anything?)
6. Where would you go from here?
7. With this system in hand, How much better performance could I get for gaming and HD/BlueRay Play back by doing ANY upgrades?(what % better, Really noticable?)
8. Would you quit and start again, on a new system in 7 or 8 months?

Again, thanks for any comments. Since I am so new to this I guess I am trying to get a feeling of when I should be done and just accept what I have.

More about : week build upgrades

January 30, 2008 12:30:41 AM

be happy with what you have. i'd kill for that system. you've got over 8x the score i get. dont complain
January 30, 2008 12:42:16 AM

Drew, thank you for that comment. I actually -really understand what you are saying. The system I was using before this was an Alienware p4 3.2. That system is now about 5 years old and was the reason I went to an extreme with the new build. I got 5 years out of that box with only ONE gpu upgrade and ONE ram upgrade (from 1 gig to 3). The board only supported AGP so this new box is the first PCIexpress experience I have had.
BUT, now it is really fun to try to get a big score and since it is really up there I get that "OOO So Close" feeling when 3Dmark is done running and I look at the results. So, thanks and I think that you are probably learning more than me by tweaking the heck outta a slower system-that takes more skill than $'s
Related resources
January 30, 2008 1:07:50 AM

h2ocaver said:

Maybe go outside for a bit.
Get some exercise and a social life.

No rly, i dont wanna insult u, but get a life.
Or... oc with the big boys, use LN2 cooling etc.
January 30, 2008 1:13:08 AM

Dude, really, you've got a good system there. If you get more you are going to be wasting money. Think of it, you probably have a cpu that is gonna handle anything you throw at it. Benchmarks are just that, benchmarks. Man, I'm still playing my games when I have time on a 7300 LE, but gotta work and don't have a lotta time to play games anymore.

Right now, I've got an Athlon x2 5200, 2 gb ddr2 667, 320 gb sata hard drive, 7300 LE video card, gigabyte sli board, and 550 watt PSU.

It's all running at stock, but you know what for the moment, I don't need more, this computer will blow away anything I throw at it. I have all the OC options and stuff, but why mess with it when it's doing everything fine? I mean I'm loaded into windows and everything loaded on startup in probably 30 seconds or under.

This is just me, but you can waste your money if you want, but your stuff isn't even a month old, save your money for something that will benefit more. So what if you don't have the latest and greatest? Like mine, it's not the latest or greatest out, but it does everything I want it to do, and in a couple of years will probably still be lower-midrange, especially when overclocked.

Oh yeah, and on PCI express, I was reading PCI express 2.0 shows a little benefit, but not by much more than a few fps, I think personally PCI express cards right now probably cannot fully utilize PCI Express 1.0, that's just my opinion. In a couple of years, it'll probably be a bigger deal, but now, I think you wouldn't notice enough difference to justify cost. Settle down man, you have a brand new system, enjoy it a while, don't think about everything else, and be thankful that you can afford a nice machine that most people could not afford.

Me, I know AMD is a little slower sometimes, but it always seems to be better priced, and that's what I learned on, so probably what I'll always go for. But simmer down and enjoy it, it should serve you well for a long time to come.

If you HAVE to upgrade, maybe a nice 24 inch lcd or something might make you happier.
January 30, 2008 2:03:28 AM

Start all over and give me that system :)  eh what ya think? Sounds like a deal to me, lol
January 30, 2008 2:41:05 AM

mrmez said:
Maybe go outside for a bit.
Get some exercise and a social life.

No rly, i dont wanna insult u, but get a life.
Or... oc with the big boys, use LN2 cooling etc.

No insult taken, I agree with u, but in reverse, I come in side during the winter.

Lemme give you a couple examples--

Me at JenningsGP-

Same Track, But on my street bike--

Me at Work (yes this is what I do for a Living)

And Me having some fun--

So, as you can see, I do go outside quite often. That being said, I have been playing CS since beta .7 and just started playing Crysis. Crysis killed my Alinware so I built this thing.
As for LN2, My wife would kill me if I tried to bring that in the house, and there is no way I would leave that kind of computer at work. It is not that I couldn't do it, but it is much more of a challenge to Race My 600RR and beat the crap outta if than to get a 1000cc bike and have to hold back in fear.

BTW, thank you for the chance to whip out some of my favorite pics. I am in Tampa-if anyone wants to ride or dive lemme know, everyone is welcome.-EZ

January 30, 2008 2:52:09 AM

I believe that because you are using the 8800GTS in Sli it may be why you aren't getting a higher score, the 8800GT which was just released is almost equivalent to the GTX and only costs $250. Another thing that may be holding you back is your 2 core processor, although it may not matter much, and I'm no expert.. the quad core processors have been getting some good reviews, and they may help more in a Sli bottleneck if there is one.
January 30, 2008 2:56:04 AM

quotemsg=1777897,5,126454]Dude, really, you've got a good system there. If you get more you are going to be wasting money. Think of it, you probably have a cpu that is gonna handle anything you throw at it. Benchmarks are just that, benchmarks. Man, I'm still playing my games when I have time on a 7300 LE, but gotta work and don't have a lotta time to play games anymore.

You are right, But it's the challenge of the benchmark that is what I am trying to beat. The computer is just the tool that is used.

Right now, I've got an Athlon x2 5200, 2 gb ddr2 667, 320 gb sata hard drive, 7300 LE video card, gigabyte sli board, and 550 watt PSU.

It's all running at stock, but you know what for the moment, I don't need more, this computer will blow away anything I throw at it. I have all the OC options and stuff, but why mess with it when it's doing everything fine? I mean I'm loaded into windows and everything loaded on startup in probably 30 seconds or under.

This is just me, but you can waste your money if you want, but your stuff isn't even a month old, save your money for something that will benefit more. So what if you don't have the latest and greatest? Like mine, it's not the latest or greatest out, but it does everything I want it to do, and in a couple of years will probably still be lower-midrange, especially when overclocked.

AND you will probably enjoy making that thing last well beyond it's intended lifespan. That is a challenge, that is the fun part.

Oh yeah, and on PCI express, I was reading PCI express 2.0 shows a little benefit, but not by much more than a few fps, I think personally PCI express cards right now probably cannot fully utilize PCI Express 1.0, that's just my opinion. In a couple of years, it'll probably be a bigger deal, but now, I think you wouldn't notice enough difference to justify cost. Settle down man, you have a brand new system, enjoy it a while, don't think about everything else, and be thankful that you can afford a nice machine that most people could not afford.

That is what I hear also, sounds like a plan-wait for more things to upgrade at once and if 2.0 is turning out to be worth it, so be it.

Me, I know AMD is a little slower sometimes, but it always seems to be better priced, and that's what I learned on, so probably what I'll always go for. But simmer down and enjoy it ---That is what I need to do --- , it should serve you well for a long time to come.

If you HAVE to upgrade, maybe a nice 24 inch lcd or something might make you happier.

Yep, the single coolest thing was going from 20 inch square to 22 inch wide. I shoulda gone to 24

[/quotemsg]

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I do appreciate what you are saying. I need to smell the roses for a bit-EZ
January 30, 2008 2:57:55 AM

Well as you've just said don't stress out over getting a low score, there are many pitfalls to building a computer and one of them is that you might get caught up in what you could have bought instead of enjoying what you did buy.
January 30, 2008 3:02:03 AM

nossr50 said:
I believe that because you are using the 8800GTS in Sli it may be why you aren't getting a higher score, the 8800GT which was just released is almost equivalent to the GTX and only costs $250. Another thing that may be holding you back is your 2 core processor, although it may not matter much, and I'm no expert.. the quad core processors have been getting some good reviews, and they may help more in a Sli bottleneck if there is one.

I think you are right about the core 2 being the bottle neck, but the 8800gt is built around the new G92 Chip, the 8800 GTS (G92) is the next step UP from the new 8800GT. The cards I got came out about 30 days ago, they are not the G80 based GTS's-those are the old ones.

I am starting to get the feeling that the NEW quads are the next step for this box or the next one. It's not really needed for everyday, but I am really enjoying pushing these things and seeing if they stay together, thanks-EZ
January 30, 2008 3:11:20 AM

I would research it a little more, I'm not an expert in the field. It may very well be just a processor bottleneck, what are the timings on your RAM? Also, have you overclocked anything?
January 31, 2008 6:48:22 PM

Well it looks like I will wait for the 790i and the new dual chip nvidia's and the new quads. Then relegate this to my office box. Thanks for the help y'all
January 31, 2008 8:05:25 PM

780i just has another PCIE lane. Don't go for 8800Ultras, overclock your 8800GTS' they'll serve you better and save a few bucks. I would look at water cooling your system if your bored, should keep you occupied for a while.

Your 3D mark is pretty low for the setup you have. I would suggest waiting around for the Q9450 and purchasing that when it comes out.

Also if your bored during the winter, why not take up winter sports?
January 31, 2008 8:26:48 PM

I am unsure of buying the 790i, unless they support DDR2 it seems like a downgrade.

1) DDR3 is expensive, and slower currently (Correct me if I'm wrong)
2) Tri-Sli is good but another card would be even more expensive

My Suggestion: Fix what you have, post some more info..the ram timings, the motherboard specs, etc. It could very well be something that could be tweaked. Also consider overclocking, I overclock and don't get that much of a performance gain on one part alone, but if I overclock the RAM, the GPU, the Processor, etc, it adds up to better performance.

Another thing I would like to know is if your PSU is running within normal ratings.

EDIT: Reworded statement about 790i
January 31, 2008 9:26:57 PM

h2ocaver said:

Uber Chakra Case
Nspire 750w PSU
AC Freezer 7
Rosewill Media Cartd reader
Two-LiteOn Dvd+-Burners SATA
Two- Raptor 150's in Raid 0
One-Samsung 500gig Secondary HD
E6850 @ 3.904 GHz (Usually @ ~3.8)
EVGA 680i-A1
Two-EVGA (G92) 8800GTS 512's in SLI
4gigs (4x1) of OCZ 1066 Platinum
OCZ Ram Cooler

I forget the formula, but you dont just ad 18+18 = 36amps (it doesn't work that way...it's probably more like 18+18= 30amps) and EACH of your cards need like 30+amps.

Well, I just googled your PSU and it only has 2 x +12v @ 18amps :non: 

Also, it's SLi "ready", not actually "certified".

I would definitely swap that out to something better.

3 18amp rails:
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-620w-sli-certified-modu...

A single 60amp rail (best bet)
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-750w-atx-12v-power-s...
January 31, 2008 9:54:44 PM

h2ocaver said:
Questions-
1. Would the 780i make ANY difference with all else the same? (PCIe 2.0 is better..No?...Yes?)
2. How much better would dual Ultras be for Benchmarks? (Just take a guess-I have no idea)
3. E8500 or Q9450? (If I am taking it apart I might as well drop in a new CPU....right?)
4. EVGA has a list of supported memory ABOVE 1066, would this be alot better than the 1066? (By how Much?)
5. What is the next part of the system that needs to have upgraded Air Cooling? ( North/South/Anything?)
7. With this system in hand, How much better performance could I get for gaming and HD/BlueRay Play back by doing ANY upgrades?(what % better, Really noticable?)
8. Would you quit and start again, on a new system in 7 or 8 months?

Again, thanks for any comments. Since I am so new to this I guess I am trying to get a feeling of when I should be done and just accept what I have.

1. Minimal, 8800 GTS's don't max out PCIe1.0 Bandwidth.
2. Dual Ultras? An extra 2-3k maybe. They really shine in AA/AF, not default 3DMark06.
3. Q9450 if you want to Benchmark 3DMark. Look at my score with a single Card.
4. Not really, faster memory doesn't give tangible benefits, just synthetic read/writes.
5. The PSU sucks. I would advise something better. Ultra X3 800W, PP&C 750W.. something like that.
6. I would have not bought the system since this generation of cards is reaching it's death. Too much investment, not enough out of it.
7. Quad core will add Benchmark stuff, and "extreme" multitasking.
8. Yes, in the summer when G100 / RV770 are out and the Penryns are readily available along with P45, 790i, and X48. Since DDR3 should also come down.
January 31, 2008 10:19:27 PM

Noya said:
I forget the formula, but you dont just ad 18+18 = 36amps (it doesn't work that way...it's probably more like 18+18= 30amps) and EACH of your cards need like 30+amps.

Well, I just googled your PSU and it only has 2 x +12v @ 18amps :non: 

Also, it's SLi "ready", not actually "certified".

I would definitely swap that out to something better.

3 18amp rails:
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-620w-sli-certified-modu...

A single 60amp rail (best bet)
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-tx-750w-atx-12v-power-s...

If what he says is true you need much more than 2 +12v @ 18A, also he may need more than just one rail.
February 1, 2008 10:40:02 PM

OK I went and got This--

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-850-EMBA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I got it for $145 from CompUSA-they are going out of biz and this was an SLI CERTIFIED 850w PSU. I am running prime on it now @ 3.7ghz/1050 mhz Mem/5-4-4-12 timings. I will be OC' ing tonite, I will psot as it goies along.-EZ
February 2, 2008 12:31:36 AM

3.9ghz/1080mhz ram/18023 3dmark06

so far
February 2, 2008 12:33:06 AM

this is all based on the default multiplier.
Would changing things around and changing the multiplier help the 3dmark06 score?
February 2, 2008 1:03:15 AM

Thats one nice rig man :D . But if considering upgrades seriously consider a top-quality PSU. I would recommend a Corsair or PCP&C for quality PSUs. Get a top tire PSU listed here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

In the pic it looks like you are running AC FREEZER 7 (or STOCK?!?, can't really tell).You might want to upgrade this after the PSU. .

February 2, 2008 1:38:15 AM

My advice is use the computer for the reason you built it. Have fun with it. Play those games, edit that video, listen to music, forget about benchmarks. I run benchmarks once and then forget about them.
February 2, 2008 1:53:03 AM

well sir i bought mines in 2005.... so dont complain lol and im gonna wait till next year to make the change (Nehalem)
February 2, 2008 3:02:39 AM

hey caver- you could do alot better on your OC'ing with a better heatsink. i have the AF 7 too but it's not a high end cooler like the thermalright ultra 120 or the zalman 9700. Get one of those and pass that af 7 on to me :)  i'm in tampa too.
February 2, 2008 3:17:31 AM

Wow, that is a huge case, really nice rig. You must have alot of xtra cash to be thinking about spending more after what you spent on your current system. My wife would kill me if I spent that much. Did you build it just to benchmark? Bragging rights? Enjoy what you've got and wait till the next gen comes out, also enjoy living in FL instead of the frozen north. Seriously that is an awsome rig, enjoy.
February 3, 2008 2:18:05 AM

Thanks for all the comments! I guess the new PSU made a difference.
Here is the highest useful (but not 100% stable) CPU OC.

That was stable enuf to do basic browsing and even watch an mpeg and send an email-BUT it would not get all the way thru 3dmark06. I could have backed off the GPU ocing to try to get the 3dmark score, but I wanted it to be the best it could be- I might trya again later.

Here is the best 3Dmark06 score to date--

That was done at this speed and settings--

February 3, 2008 2:33:13 AM

I'm tellin' ya get a better cooler and crank up that Vcore. 4.1 will magically become stable is my guess.
February 3, 2008 2:33:57 AM

@mikey
I just can stop messing with things, that is just my nature. You do make a good point.

@boner
My last desktop is 5 years old, an alienware and is the reason I am building this new box.

@shoota
The temps under prime95 were topping out at 64~65, Now, with the new psu, they are topping out 60. Even under the hardest workout the enitresystem stays cool. I am not having temp prolems, I think I am having experience problems-I don;t know how to OC well enuf to get anymore out of it. But I am learning.... Anytime you want to run some benches just contact me. I can open my store up after hours and make some space to beat on these computers untill they give up...hehehe

@mack
Yes, this was built to play with OC'ing and to "compete" with a couple friends that are inot the same thing. Plus during the winter we slow down a bit a work and that is when we pick something to do that will keep us from going crazy until the summer. But I did need a new computer for editing video now that almost all the cameras and camcorders we sell now are digital. I am alos in the process of building a new site for my store. So this thing is doing everything I need it tod do.

Thanks again guys-EZ
February 3, 2008 2:36:16 AM

shoota said:
I'm tellin' ya get a better cooler and crank up that Vcore. 4.1 will magically become stable is my guess.

shoota, tell me when you can make it over to my store, in the evening and I will bring this thing over and set it up. Maybe you can show me what I should do.

My store address is on the top if my site- www.ezscuba.com

let me know.
February 3, 2008 2:39:10 AM

Yeah maybe tomorrow evening. The thing is we need a better cooler and compusa is prolly sold out of the zalman 9700. Maybe you could check both the hillsborough and dale mabry store?

What's your voltage set at right now anyway? and load temps?

edit: oops just saw ur previous post. yeah the temps seem ok. weird that a new PSU made ur temps go down... but the temps at your current Vcore don't leave much room for upping it much. there's just little things here and there that we need to get right.
February 3, 2008 2:54:00 AM

1.55 on the cpu vcore, yes both of the compusa's are sold out, and tomoro is the supebowl, maybe later this week.

Let me look around and see if anyplace else has one of either of those.

It might be time to water cool, but I think I might wait until the 790i and new quads come out and just build another box.
My wifes computer is dieing, I just replaced the case and PSU and HD and Ram, it is still shutting down by itself once or twice a-day. It is a P4 system and she would appreciate if I stop screwin with mine long enuf to get hers running correctly. Gotta keep her happy.
February 3, 2008 3:02:25 AM

I think when the voltage drops, the heat builds up. I know that 12 volt amplifiers ALWAYS run cooler when the voltage is stable and does not drop. (that is from my old car stereo days)
February 3, 2008 5:31:28 AM

I can build a faster system with 1800 bucks. And you waste money if you upgrade that now. You would really look silly if you upgraded that already. Do you game for fun, do you encode video, do you do anything with that machine, that is what they are for, So useless if not. Do something with that machine and your time that is of some value. Classic consumerism in play. And 60-65 is hot for that cpu. Maximum PC uses zalman cooler on that cpu and idles at 28 and underload oc is 48, you are running really hot, with all that money in there why not put 50 more in on a zalman cooler. Plus you will wear out the prosessor fast so OC'd, with all your expendable income go get an extreme.
February 3, 2008 5:53:09 AM

Well he did say a couple times that he is new at overclocking
February 3, 2008 7:16:11 AM

@ harley, it would be nice if you actually read the content of the posts and not only looked at the pictures. There is an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 on the CPU. Also, the case has several fans bringing air in the front and side. There are fans pulling air out of the back and PSU. There are also 3 fans that are placed on the GPU's in order to move air in side the case. There is also a little change to the way the CPU fan is placed. The North bridge has a stock cooling fan that blows upwards toward the CPU, the aftermarket CPU fans is designed to push air from the front to back, the PSU fan is directly above the CPU. The NB, CPU and Bottom of the PSU are in a direct line. What I did was to change the way the CPU cooler mounts so as to make it pull air from the NB and push it up to the PSU exhaust fan. All I had to do was cut off one of the fan guards on the CPU cooler and then mount the cooler 1/4 turn aorund. Now the NB fan pushes into the cpu fan that pushes into the psu fan. It actually works wel with the Huge Side fan that brings in fresh air right on top of all three of those fans.

Now, as far as me looking silly, I am sorry if you don't want to help someone learn and consider me silly for trying to learn and do what I find so interesting. I think you need to understand what the term VALUE means. I find a great deal of value in the education, practice and entertainment that this system is providing me. So if I am spending too much money(in your opinion) then I guess I am silly. I am a happy fool, but happy is a good thing for me. To give you an example, a single race weekend for me (I am AM#771 in CCS Florida region) costs about ~1500 to 2000 dollars, and that is if I don't wreck or blow a motor. That includes tires, fuel, registration, transportation, food, drink and hotels. That does not include the initial investment of the bike riding gear and race prep. So, as you can see, this computer does not even cost what I would spend on One weekend and probably would not hurt me unless I dropped in on my toes. On the other hand, this past October, my bike caught on fire on the back straight at Daytona. I was riding half way around th track on fire and did not even know it until the corner workers flagged me down. That is excitment to an extreme-playing with this computer is like doing a crossword puzzle, fun and relaxing.

I will try another cooler, that is a good Idea.

You should try to feel good about yourself, that will lead to you treating others with less contempt. Karma can be a bi*ch-handle with care.
February 3, 2008 7:49:01 AM

Thanks for the religious lesson, you are so defensive, every time someone give's there opinion you go on a rant, what are you trying to prove, and who are you trying to impress, other people, yourself? chill out! Your wild and expensive weekends do not impress me ok, either do people that go on and on about what they do and buy and how great they are. We care about your comp not all the other stuff you do ok. You seem to have a need for attention, is that why you are compelled to tell your life story on a forum, ever been to a pub. Karma is a bitch, hmm...... no your wrong. I need no lesson on any philosphy from you ok, Karma is more complex then the cliche version you are spouting about so keep the scourning to a minimum. Modesty is a quality you might want to look into when dealing with people captain amazing.
February 3, 2008 8:16:43 AM

**SPOILERS I'M FEEDING THE TROLL IN THIS POST**

Harly all I see you do since I've got here is run around the forums giving half-decent advice and throwing around your opinion in an insulting holier than thou manner. Excuse me if H20 finds your "I can build a faster system with 1800 bucks. And you waste money if you upgrade that now. You would really look silly if you upgraded that already." to be overkill for an advice thread.

To be overly critical the guy did not give you any religious advice, he wasn't be "so defensive" Mr. "I can build a faster system with 1800 bucks. ". Before you even offered advice you started off with a negative message, then proceeded to act like a big douche before finally giving advice, I'm sorry if I don't have the time to read 4 sentences telling me harly2 could build a better computer than the OP for 1800 dollars and get himself laid in the process before I read anything of value. "We care about your comp not all the other stuff you do ok.", well that may hold true for 99% of us in this forum, but don't group yourself with the cool kids club, we rejected your application.

For fun I decided to highlight everything you shouldn't have written in RED, and what little advice you wrote in GREEN and anything you wrote that was redundant in ORANGE, and anything I could consider warranting an IQ exam in BOLD.

Spoiler
I can build a faster system with 1800 bucks. And you waste money if you upgrade that now. You would really look silly if you upgraded that already. Do you game for fun, do you encode video, do you do anything with that machine, that is what they are for, So useless if not. Do something with that machine and your time that is of some value. Classic consumerism in play. And 60-65 is hot for that cpu. Maximum PC uses zalman cooler on that cpu and idles at 28 and underload oc is 48, you are running really hot, with all that money in there why not put 50 more in on a zalman cooler. Plus you will wear out the prosessor fast so OC'd, with all your expendable income go get an extreme.

Thanks for the religious lesson, you are so defensive, every time someone give's there opinion you go on a rant, what are you trying to prove, and who are you trying to impress? chill out. We care about your comp not all the other stuff you do ok. Are you trying to impress us or yourself, Karma is a bitch, hmm no your wrong. I need no lesson on philosphy from you ok, Karma is more complex then the cliche version you are spouting about so keep the scourning to a minimum. Modesty is a quality you might want to look into when dealing with people captain amazing.

When under the magnifying glass, what good are you?
February 3, 2008 7:15:12 PM

@noss
I was about to type a response to this guys negativity, but you are right-why feed into it?

reply to his questions-
"Do you game for fun, do you encode video, do you do anything with that machine, that is what they are for,"

yes, yes, and yes- like I posted in the first post, I tried playing crysis on my old computer and it didn't work so well. Now it does. I Use this computer to download compile and display 1080p videos. I also use this computer to edit digital pictures and create slideshows for work and family. And much more..including Overclocking for sport.

"who are you trying to impress, other people, yourself"

Everyone, including myself. That is why I want o learn to do this properly, to compete with others and set the bar high. I enjoy the competition.

"ever been to a pub"

sure, but I don't really drink and I usually need to take care of my children or deal with life, so spending time in a pub is not productive.

"Modesty is a quality you might want to look into when dealing with people"

I am sorry if I seem immodest, But people did make comments about going outside and doing something else, I just wanted to respond with pics of my other loves.

Now as for the useful info, yes I need to get the better cooler.

February 3, 2008 7:50:33 PM

@caver

way to take the high road. I hate it when ppl get on here and tell others how to spend their money.

anyways, two things.

1. if you're looking to win at overclocking in terms of highest ghz, air cooling won't do it.

2. if you're looking to get the best 3dmark score then a dual core won't do it.

i think you're going mainly for number two, but either way learning to OC on air is just fine. once you figure it out then you can move to water cooling, that's where the serious OC'ing comes in :) 

so it's up to you, play around with this rig, get a handle on oc''ing and then build a new system around a quad and sli or crossfire for that 3dmark score goodness.

(and of course offer your unused parts to me hehe)
February 3, 2008 8:19:10 PM

@shoota
Yes, air is not the ultimate, and yes you are right(as far as I have learned) Water or phase will be the way to go when I am confident.

I knew a dual core was not the beefiest but I looked at the charts here and saw that the e6850 was above alot of the quads in alot of the benches. Also the budget does not allow for a $1000 chip right off the bat(and BOY would I feel bad if I cooked it learning to OC).

Also I think one of the pins on the AF7 is broken, it seems loose, So for now I need to look for the best CPU cooler-EZ

February 3, 2008 11:01:32 PM

yeah a new cooler is in need, and installed correctly :)  but if you're looking for high 3dmark scores, even an OC q6600 at 3.5 or more will give you a much better score. and it's not a $1000 dollars.

something to think about.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&m...
February 4, 2008 4:40:47 AM

Well after reading about Yorkfield Quads I'm going to have to say that with his budget, he will probably get one when they come out, be sure to get the extreme version and overclock it.

I knew a guy who was into racing here in Oregon, he has over 50 some trophies from local races, each race cost him around a few thousand, he had his own company he ran to pay for it. I believe after 7 or 8 years he got sick of cleaning (his company) so he retired from racing because it is in fact a "Ridiculously expensive hobby" :) .
February 5, 2008 8:42:22 PM

"Ridiculously expensive hobby"

hehehe yep, that is why I am taking a break from it now. Plus I am still feeling the broken clavical from lover a year ago.

Anyway you are right, the yorky quad is what I am gonna get for mine. BUT!! I need to build another box for wrok and I want to take out my e6850 and put an e8500 for now. Has anyone seen when they are REALLY gonna be available?
February 5, 2008 8:42:58 PM

Oh BTW Congrats SHoota!!!
February 7, 2008 11:01:46 PM

Hey,

Just wanted to say, I just spent $1400 on a new build, and I am only getting 12500 with my AMD 6400+BE Oc to 3.4ghz and BFG 8800GTS 512MB G92, OCZ Gold 2x 2GB (6400) 800 oc to 2.0 volts running at 940Mhz, ASUS M2N32 wireless deluxe,

At Stock this came back at 11222 in benchmark 06, so be happy with what you got cause if you live your life by benchmark, you tested very well, 6000 better then Mine. You have a good system guy, don't worry about OC it untill it explodes, I am not even sure how stable mine is, it Idles at 34-36C and at load it hits around 40-51C. It was trial and error for me, my new build shut down at least three times, but is not having problems booting or freezing up at this time. I set the Voltage at 1.5 on the CPU, and 230 x15
February 8, 2008 1:13:52 AM

Caver:

Love your attitude, logic, language, and approach to life lol.

I assume you got or will get the new cooler. One possible thought provoker for you . . . if you are in a race, you study the track, right?

What drives this synthetic benchmark?

I'm sure others will tell you - I can't - and maybe you can evaluate/trust what is said . . . maybe not.

But you might grab a 6600 - they aren't too expensive - and OC it (same box) to some common level with your 3840, then run the benchmark on both cpus, clocked the same. That should give you some idea what effect the extra two (otherwise largely useless cores) have on this particular "track".

The Ultras would no doubt help too. But they seem like such a waste lol.
February 8, 2008 1:35:33 AM

h2ocaver said:
@shoota
Yes, air is not the ultimate, and yes you are right(as far as I have learned) Water or phase will be the way to go when I am confident.

I knew a dual core was not the beefiest but I looked at the charts here and saw that the e6850 was above alot of the quads in alot of the benches. Also the budget does not allow for a $1000 chip right off the bat(and BOY would I feel bad if I cooked it learning to OC).

Also I think one of the pins on the AF7 is broken, it seems loose, So for now I need to look for the best CPU cooler-EZ

3D Mark scales well with additional cores.

About 6k CPU Score with a 3.89 GHz OC.

Want more?

Q6700 G0, Phase Unit, Tri-SLI Ultras.

Want to hold the highest benchmark? Spend money, that's it. Chasing numbers is expensive.
February 8, 2008 8:56:29 PM

@med
thanks for the nice words, You have a great AMD system, Since I am a newb I appreciate that you can get good scores and are able to get 10% more score on OC. That box prolly does everything you need. Looking at your system, I see that you are using pc6400 just like I did. I had to use pc6400 because it was th only available at the local retailer. I had ordered 4 gig of 8500 and did not do enuf homework and ordered the wrong stuff-Thankfully Newegg's great service took it right back and I ordered the correct kind of 8500. I tested and went up ~2000 points with 4 gig of 8500@1080mhz, I then took the advice that I needed to get a better psu and put in the SLI certified cooler master 850. The new PSU and TAKING OUT 2 gigs of the ram put me well over th 18k mark-with 200 mhz more on the CPU and almost 100 mhz more on the ram. The pics in the earlier posts are not even the best scores I have....I will explain in a minute. Anyway, I bet a really good psu and 1066 ram might be worth it for you. Thanks again.

@cnu
I am finding that you are absolutely correct. Quad and Supercooling will be the way to go, thanks for your input.

@Twoboxer
First- is that boxer as in BMW Boxer? I love to watch the super twin endurance races and the Beemers are doing VERY well.

Second-Thanks for the compliment, I turned 40 this year and am realizing that life can be a little easier if you have the right attitude, believe me I am still trying to mello.

Third-The quad for comparrison idea is really a good idea, but I trust you guys enuf that the jump will be made when the 45nm quad chips are in the same $ range as the ones we have now, ya know, maybe <$500. That sounds like good jump in performance and not throwing >$900's at the box just for scores. I don't thing anything I do on this system is going to get better than a 20% gain in performance with out spending $1k. So I am waiting for the 45nm quads. AND........

Ok so here is what happened- I found that the pushpins on the AC Freezer Pro 7 were bent and one was broken. This was MY fault because I forced them in WAS totally ignorant of this mounting system. So the cooler was not operating at it's best. I called newegg and they don't sell the pins seperately. I called Arctic Cooling-"we will send you some, how many do you need" WOW No charge for for complete push pins. That is REALLY good Service, Thank you Arctic Cooling! Well I am not one to wait so I went and got some nylon screws, washers and nuts. I proceded to install the cooler using these parts from the back of the Mobo. ..............uh oh...... I scratched a trace on the back of the mobo. DA**IT!!

breathe......breathe....OK it's just a part that can be replaced...

I get on the phone with EVGA- "I screwed up, totally my fault, can you guys fix my mess up?" They asked me to send some pics, so I did.
They got the pics and said "on this ONE time deal, we will RMA the board, Here are the details."

WOOT!!!!

It is boxed and shipping in less than a few hours.

Ok so I have thissystem with no mobo.....I do like the 780i..... it isnt that expensive......

I got on newegg and ordered it!.
This really helps me anyway because I still need to build a box for work since I gave my alienware to my wife. And now I have that pc6400 ram and the 680i and here old computer case and the Nspire 750wPSU and the sata hdd and dvd burner from her old system. all I need now is a gpu and a cpu. It seems like it will all work out!!

OK, now, I need to know if I can just re install everything from the original build onto this 780i and set the bios and go from there? It had the EVGA 680i, and now it will be an EVGA 780i. Do you guys think I have to reinstall fresh??

Thanks again for all your help everyone-EZ
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!