E8400
P5K-E MoBo
2GB Crucial DDR2-800
3850 512MB
250GB HDD
DVD-RW Drive
Antec Earthwatts 500
Centurion 5 Case

Got a few questions for anyone that might know or can point me in the right direction to find out.

1. With the earthwatts 500, how much would I be able to OC the CPU before power becomes an issue? Would it ever be something to worry about?

2. Is there a definitive resource I can check out for OC'ing info? I've looked at tons of sites but I don't know which to trust or which is accurate or even up to date. If there is info out there for specifically OC'ing the E8400 that would be most helpful, perhaps on the P5K-E as well. That would take all the guesswork out of it. ;) 

3. I opened up CPU-Z to check the CPU and such. I know that with speedstep the CPU will be brought down while under low load or idle, so I wasn't surprised when I saw it a 2GHz w/ x6 multiplier. But the thing that kind of scared me was that at one point it was literally jumping between x6 and x9, back and forth, about every second, and it went on for a couple minutes until I restarted. That was weird. I thought that my CPU was going insane for a second. I figured it was probably just CPU-Z being stupid, but I wanted to make sure. Has anyone seen this happen before?

4. Can anyone think of a reason why plugging something into a firewire port would cause a system the hang on the windows load screen and just generally act funky? I know, sounds like a stupid question, but after I got everything into my case, I plugged in my external devices like my webcam, firewire iPod, USB missle launcher (which is so much fun, check it out here: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/warfare/8bc4/). I started the system and it would just hang at the windows load screen. No activity from the HDD, it seemed like it was stuck. I thought maybe it was a power problem, having the extra devices drawing power from the PSU, but then I realized that 500W and 34amps on 12V should be plenty, especially considering that I am using one of the most power efficient CPU's and video cards. So that couldn't be it, could it? I made sure I hooked up all of the firewire/usb headers correctly, and it was fine as far as I could tell.

I unplugged everything and restarted, and it was fine again. Then by plugging things in one at a time, I narrowed it down to my firewire iPod. Don't know why, but it's screwing up my system. Everytime I plug it in then turn the computer on, it hangs at the windows load screen. I tried plugging it in after I was already in windows, and it ended up restarting the computer. I'm afraid to even try again. I don't have my firewire external HDD with me, otherwise I would test that to see if it's the firewire port on the MoBo/Front Case or if it's the iPod itself. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

That's about it for now. I know that's a lot to read through but if you guys have any input, I'd greatly appreciate it, as always.

More about : questions recently built system

January 30, 2008 11:28:25 AM

1. Don't worry about it. The 3850 isn't that power hungry.

2. There's an o/c forum right here & a sticky. Read that. Best stick with one methodology. If you mix & match different ones, you might end up confused.
!