Sign in with
Your question

Weird buzzing sound from PSU.

Last response: in Components
February 18, 2008 3:17:07 AM

My brand new Antec Earthwatts 500 makes a faint, highpitched, buzzing sound. It's kind of intermittent but it's really getting on my nerves.

Should I RMA it or try to test it some how?

It seems to be working well otherwise. Runs my 8800gt 512 and OCd my E2160 to 3.0GHz. That might not be saying much but I don't really know.

More about : weird buzzing sound psu

February 18, 2008 3:33:19 AM

I would RMA it.

It's either the FAN or a Capacitor.
Neither is good.
If it's a FAN, it could last for years but will likely get worse.
If it's a capacitor, it will not last much longer.

Even Good PSUs have a few bad apples.
February 18, 2008 3:42:44 AM

I agree with zenmaster. If that thing goes haywire it could fry a lot of expensive components as it dies. Don't risk it; RMA!
Related resources
February 18, 2008 9:00:58 AM

Could also be the transformer, assuming it's one of those stacked-plate types.

If it's the transformer, then there's not too much to worry about.

RMA it anyway. [/ambiguous]
February 18, 2008 1:26:27 PM

I assume my only option is to contact Antec since I cut the bar code for the rebate. Yes?

I do think it's the fan. It doesn't blow as much air as an old raidmax 430watt (4years old).
a c 148 ) Power supply
February 18, 2008 1:42:34 PM

First of all, make certain that it's not something dumb like a cable touching the fan blades.

A good PSU will not ramp up the fan until it is running closer to capacity and actually needs the extra cooling.

Still, I agree with the other posters, RMA it.
February 18, 2008 1:48:56 PM

Lots of the same complaint on newegg and now it's about $30 cheaper, so I assume it's an ongoing issue. I contacted Antec, I hope the send me a new one before they want this one back.
February 18, 2008 5:14:24 PM

I had an Antec PSU, smartpower I believe that did the same thing after a couple months. After doing a little research online, turns out this happens more often than you think with Antec power supplies. Just google it.

I picked up the 500watt earthwatts to replace it. I know, here I was all mad at antec and I just bought an antec product, stupid me? Well it was either that or possibly worse OEM PSUs at my local computer store.

My earthwatts has been working fine so far. but definitely get that replaced. It could take out your other components. Dont risk it for the love of god!!1
a c 129 ) Power supply
February 18, 2008 5:49:05 PM

I put an Earthwatts 500 in a PC last month. I only used it for a few days before boxing the system up for sale, but during that time the PSU was dead silent.
February 19, 2008 2:50:10 PM

coil buzz, the inductor start oscillation when current flow though. it is harmless but pain of neck.
earthwatt is made by seasonic. cheap but good.
January 12, 2011 11:36:17 PM

Sorry to Bring Back this Thread from dead But my Pc is Also Having Same Buzzing Sound From The back Of the Cabby.The Friction is So Much that one can feel The Vibration even when he is touching The Desk.....It Stops after 2/3 shutdown-Wait 1 Min-cold Reboot Cycles.Do u Think its The PSU?

TIA
!