Adding SDD to existing system - how to maximize impact?

paulthomas

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I build my system with equipment from Tiger Direct - and everything was great but the SDD I purchased didn't work out of the box. I returned it, but I was tight on time so I build the PC using just the 1Tb drive I was planning to use for main storage.

My question is this - if I buy a new SDD drive (maybe the Intel) now and add it to my system - what can I do to maximize the impact? I don't want to re-install Vista, but since it is on my HDD already, then I don't know if there is a way to get Vista to move over to the SDD?

What about other apps? Should I re-install things like Office, Illustrator and so on?

I'm sure this is not an uncommon question - how do I maximize the impact of a fast SDD additional to an existing HDD system?

Thanks in advance!
-Paul

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Easiest way to do it is to save any needed data, format both drives, then re-install OS and apps and copy over any data.

Hard way is to install OS on new drive, remove OS from (now) 2nd drive, and do a lot of regedit work to get your links set up to where your apps are located.

If your current installation will fit on the SSD, then you could clone the old drive to the new one using something like Acronis or Ghost.