Fried gigabyte motherboard P35-DS3L (bad flash)

tick1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I tried to update my motherboard bios gigabyte p35-ds3l to latest which is F8a. First i update through bios update utilities via the internet, i did everything before i begin like close all window disable firewall and i even uninstal internet virus, i tried several time without success it alway gave me an error message, so i give up and update through Q-flash utility. Everything went fine completely success, but when i reboot got blank screen and the stystem unable to start also remove the battery and clear cmos. Will take any help and ask the pro how to recovery the bad bios flash. Thanks inadvance

Dose it get video? If it dose it will/should give you a recovery option, just put in the DVD and it will revert to the old BIOS. If it doesn't what you can do is call Gigabyte and ask for a new EEPROM with the BIOS installed. It would cost about $15-25. I had this happened to me and they sent me a new BIOS in about 2 weeks. Make sure you give them the correct motherboard revision. If you flashed the wrong revision that's probably why your flash was bad.

^So either call Gigabyte for a new EEPROM chip or RMA/return the motherboard. A new EEPROM chip would cost about $15-25 depending on where you live,etc. Like I said before I had the same problem before and with ASUS and Gigabyte and they both sent me the EEPROMS, much cheaper and faster than shipping/RMA/etc. the entire board. (Thanks Gigabyte and ASUS :), thats one reason I recommend Gigabyte and ASUS motherboards 90% of the time;) )

dozer63

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
another option is to check ebay I have gotten a bios chip from there before, the name of the vendor is bios depot, It worked and and I received it in about a week. They burn them for most MBs

tonyp12

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
It's not like he have a 10 yr old mobo with socketed eeprom, they have made safty improvments to BIOS now days.

Though I only see a CLR_CMOS jumper for this mobo try it.

I'm not sure about the dual bios really is, it would be good if it was the orginal bios
stored as back up that will be flashed to the failed bios flash.

But I don't see a jumper for that.

fromGigbytes website:

Safe is the key feature of GIGABYTE S-series motherboards with the following elements: Excellent hardware design reinforced BIOS protection through GIGABYTE Virtual Dual BIOS Technology and GIGABYTE BIOS Setting Recovery Technology

tick1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I live in long beach, california. I have a question for you shadow703793, with this new motherboard, i checked the bios was soldered to the board, if i ask them for a new EEPROM chip i have to remove the old one, how did you do on your previous motherboard, did you had to solder it to the board?. I want your recommendation, send the board or ask for EEPROM. What is the EEPROM anyway?

some systems will still boot to floppy even though video is not working. You have to have a bootable floppy and basically a autoexec file to auto flash the bios again (like a older version). when done, reboot and it's working fine again.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The dual BIOS will try to recover without any user intervention, so leave the machine on and let it reboot a few times if it wants to. I don't believe that the BIOS chip is user replaceable. The socketed BIOS chips were on older mobos. You might try installing an old PCI video card if you have one laying around in an old system etc. You may be able to get video and try flashing again. You may have to send the mobo back for repair.

Never use the @BIOS, it runs in Windows and adds more chance for corruption. Always use the Q-Flash from a floppy, FAT partition or flash drive.

Most asus high end boards are still socketed.

It does all come down to cost.

For your bad flash try to inset the CD. if there is even a little bios left the system will flash from the CD(i think it can check Floppy too)....

Northernheat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Jus a simple question , i have the same board and want to update my bios , how should i go about this with out having the OP unfortunate issues?

Thank you in advance

Northernheat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Do i got to Gigabyte main website and download said file on my thumbdrive , and boot from the thumbdrive to execute the file?...going to Gigabyte's site now to check it out.

Just a minor addition, before loading file on floppy, reformat and very no errors. Almost messted mine up as copied file to floopy. No error in coping. when I did the qflash got an error, Hit worng key and it Threw up. Check floppy - bad. reloaded on a good floppy and reinstall, I was lucky. Thumb drive probably safer.

Northernheat

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Got the files on my thumdrive , but qflash doens't see my thumdrive , gonna try to change the boot sequence to boot from thumbdrive...

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

Dont do it through the internet, download the bios, then install using the @bios, I screwed upa foxcon motherboard that way.

simply_pc

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

I purchased mine at biosfixdepot.com, when pc got a bios bad flash problem the same ebay seller, bios_fix_depot. they are simply knowlegeable to get the correct information for my motherboard.

it work like a charm. just plug n play. so try,them, I recommed.I save a lot, than throwing my Asus sli motherboard.