Sprayn'Pray

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
I'm currently planning what to get for my new PC. Right now I'm running on a 3500+ amd 64, 1 GB ram, a 6800 Ultra, and an audigy 2zs. My system is gets used for audio recording (Acid Pro 6.0 and Sound Forge 8.0) as well as games. I don't plan on playing crysis so much as heavy multiplayer games. Right now I'm doing a lot of TF2 but I'm going to buy CoD4 as soon as the new PC's finished.

Anyways, this Is what I was planning on getting:

NZXT Zero case
thermaltake Toughpower 600W
Intel Q6600 (going to overclock)
Coolermaster Aquagate liquid cooling
Corsair XMS 2 8GB ram ddr2 800 <--already have these
vista home premium (64-bit of course)
MSI P35 Neo2-FR
8800GT
640 Gbyte raid-0
Sound Blaster x-fi Elite Pro

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks! :bounce:

akhilles

Splendid
Looks perfect to me except for the watercooling.

You do realize watercooling requires maintenance. Like checking the coolant level. If you don't mind a bit of noise, a Thermalright U 120 E + a 12cm Scythe fan is ok. If you don't overclock, a Freezer 7 Pro. If you really want CO2, get a better kit like Swiftech H20-120. Or even better a TEC Freezone CPU Cooler:

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=11&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=85

Refurb, but with 1 year warranty - same for the new ones.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
A 6600?? why don't you consider the 45nm 8400 runs at 3g/circles around the 6600,,and can be overclocked,with care to 4g on air,then,,,,wait until there is a REAL need for quad cores ????:))

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

I have seen several references to this 'tier' of PSU listings...

Seems nothing more than just a list somebody has put together based on unknown criteria. I have a PSU rated as 'not recommended' on that list yet it provides spot on stable voltages, runs flawlessly and powers my overclocked system just fine...

I would use sensible judgement when it comes to selecting a PSU rather than referring to what appears to be an unsanctioned listing that justifies buying hugely expensively PSU's well beyond the typical persons requirements.

Am I wrong?

The tiered listing says nothing about wattage; there are some very good ones in the 300-400W range on tier-2 and tier-3; so it doesn't urge buying big so much as it does buying quality.
I've questioned the listing at times too, but spent a weekend reading all the PSU reviews at jonnyguru to get an idea on testing. I read other reviews as I find them, and all lead me to avoid cheap PSUs. As one consistent source of information, the tier listing seems reliable. Take it as a rule, to which there might be an occasional exception. I think of it as a matter of risk, which I'd prefer to avoid. I've only seen systems fried by cheap, no-name PSUs.
As to the OP's proposed system, if it were me I would choose a Gigabyte mobo. I would not spend the money on RAID-0, nor on liquid cooling. I would use mobo sound unless and until it was insufficient. For PSU, the Thermaltake appears to be of decent quality, but could be overkill. Something in the 500W range, also from tier-2 (or 3) would be sufficient, but the one he's chosen looks good too.

bstep1989

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
that tier listing is kinda whack to me. they obviously have a zippy favoring..and they are not even 80-plus certified. and usually only max out at about 73%. thats a lot of heat and a lot of wasted power. so with some things i would trust it, but take everything with a grain of salt

That list was put together by some forum, with lots and lots of people contributing. I remember reading a 50-page thread somewhere that helped build the list. AFAIK the list is good, i.e. the reviews I've read so far tend to match the tiers assigned there.

One objection I do have to the list is that some noisy PSUs made it to the first tier, and noise is important to me. Another is price. For example if the Enermax Galaxy costs $450 then it's useless to me, for all practical purposes, even if it beats anything else in tests.