burnt psu, no sound, no USB devices

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i xxxin hate rosewill, my psu, which had more than 250 people gave 5 stars, (250/290) BURNT!!, SHXX. what i did was plugging the cord you know that multi tabb, thing, i pushed on, and i heard some strange high pitch noise from the psu, so i immediately turned it off, but dont know why the computer was on for a sec, (before i turned off the power) after a minute, my room was full of burnt wire smell. i was so scared at that moment, i took out my graphics card, and i put 250W psu, and turned it on, it works, but i noticed that there was no sound, i tried to play musics, nope, reinstalled onboard, sound driver, nope, wft, and i plugged in us mouse, mp3, wireless keyboard, wtf again? doesnt reconize it. on the bottom, right side of the screen, it was keep saying "cannot reconize USB devices". im pretty sure that psu broke my pc, what do you guys think? and my computer is half HP, less than 7months, i upgraded many things..
i have sents RMA in newegg, this psu is less than 3 months old, do you think i can get refund? i never never want to see that rosewill psu again. i also sent a mail to rosewill about this, will they fix all my problems, mobo?, because that psu is still under rosewill warranty..

inorder to return a product to newegg, do i get any box and return it?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
250 watts is a bit low, try a replacement power supply.

I can't believe you bought a rosewill, there are TONS of threads where people state rosewills are utter trash, they are tier 5 PSU's that should not be considered. I've seen many scenarios where individuals purchase a godly rig with a cheap rosewill, ends up dying out and killing their entire rig with it.

When a PSU goes out, it can kill hardware, you might be experiencing it to some degree, but try a new psu, you have to get one anyways, cause 250 watts is VERY low, so could be that your rig isn't getting enough power.

System specs?

Try to nab a tier 3 or higher, tier 2 recommended since the PSU is the most vital part of your system.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Use this list to base your purchase.

Agree. And whatever you get, next time make sure the PSU is not plugged in (or the rear switch is OFF) when you connect its cables. It may be providing +5VSB even though your system is not "on."

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i dont have much money to get expensive psus, as i said, when i changed my psu to 250W, i took out my Gpu, it is getting enough power now, also unplugged 2 ODDs. you can click on my account on the left , it has all my specs. its computer 2 im having trouble with

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
We spend $1500 on a fast loaded computer system, load it up with the fastest cpu, and hot video cards, then we cry and moan about spending money an a good PSU. So we buy a cheap $50 PSU, that in less than a year, fries taking out $300 to $500 dollars worth of computer components.

Think of your power supply as the basis of a properly functioning computer system, you need good clean DC power for your computer components.

A cheap PSU will not provide good power.
It will die before your computer.
It likely will kill parts of your system.

Don't waste money of crap PSU's.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i bought this psu from newegg.com, for 70$ with shipping. still there. RP 550-2
it has 5 stars, about 300people rated it, thats why i bought it..... wasnt really cheap

Mondoman

Splendid
jh: Sadly, many "cheap quality" PSUs are sold at prices higher than $50. You can't really trust the PSU ratings at newegg as essentially none of them are based on actual laboratory testing with real instruments. For PSUs, it's better to look at the various reviews that actually do measurements, and to look at the various PSU "Tier" lists on forums such as this one.