Sign in with
Your question

Looking For HDMI Graphics Card To Drive Gateway 24"

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2008 3:45:59 PM

I recently upgraded my display to a Gateway 24" with HDMI inputs. It a 1920x1200 display with 1080p. My system is an AMD Athalon XP 2800 with 2 gigs ram. Current video card is a NVIDIA GForce 4 w/ 64 megs ram. I don't do any gaming on this machine but do run Autocad and open plans in .pdf form that can be as much as 300 megs.

So any suggestions on a video card with an HDMI output that will drive this beast?

Thank You,
Tony
February 6, 2008 3:55:18 PM

*edit* Gah! Xazax310 beat me to it. >_<

I'm guessing your current card uses analog outputs... If you had DVI, you can use a DVI -> HDMI converter. I'm not sure... but if you wanted to get really ghetto, you may be able to use a VGA -> DVI converter and then attach a DVI -> HDMI converter on top of that.

Is your graphics card AGP or PCI? If it's AGP, you can try this out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just toss on an HDMI adapter and you should be good to go.
Related resources
February 6, 2008 3:58:46 PM

Your first suggestion wont work Rgeist, As he has only a Geforce 4, and the 64mb wont be enough to power that resolution also the Geforce doesnt support HDMI so his screen probably be all funny looking. Much better off getting a newer GFX Card
February 6, 2008 4:01:23 PM

I'm not looking to save money and use converters. I just want something that will work and work well. I definately want HDMI outputs.
February 6, 2008 4:09:14 PM

The 2600's series comes with converters just so you know, it comes with a DVI-HDMI right out of the box no need to buy it, as for HDMI cards, they are very hard to come by and alot more expensive and i dont think they make any for the AGP bus, you would have more luck with PCI-E but i doubt AGP

As example here is a X1650PRO with Native HDMI, however its PCI-E
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Im sorry to say i dont believe there is a Native HDMI video card on the AGP bus, but the DVI-HDMI coventer works just as well
February 6, 2008 4:12:57 PM

Xazax310 said:
Have you looked at the HD series from ATI? they do HDMI as well as Audio Signal over HDMI

2600PRO AGP
Be perfect for your system, under $100 can run that Resolution and has HDMI, be perfect for AutoCad with its 120 SPs

Xazax310 That looks good to me. Do all the video cards require an adapter to use an HDMI cable. I see they all seem to have "Dual Link DVI" ports but no HDMI port.
February 6, 2008 4:16:36 PM

Is there any disadvantage to getting off the AGP Bus? Forgime my ignorance.
February 6, 2008 4:19:04 PM

Like what i posted above, few cards have Native HDMI, all come with DVI or VGA, however the DVI converters work just as well as if you it was Native HDMI, and your chances of finding a "cheap" native HDMI AGP bus are extremely rare

Also i edited the GFX from the original one, it is now the AGP HIS 2600PRO no the Sapphire one, upon reading reviews of BSOD's doesnt sound like the kind of card you want but the HIS seems ok.

Thats quite an old system you got there haha, im using a XP 3200+ right now 1.5GB DDR400 and X1300PRO...

Also just a little sidenote, ATI is perfect for what your doing as the 2600 series can decode dvd's and use less CPU, so its good choice for an older computer but in the end all up to you.

There are no disadvantages only advantages, it just that your computer currently only use AGP bus. so your stuck with it unless you buy a brand new computer

If your interested i just happen to be building an Intel computer, purely for sale, the Mobo has an ATI X1250 integrated GFX card that supports DVI Natively, here ill show you the mobo

PM me if your interested and maybe we can talk.
February 6, 2008 4:21:20 PM

woody240 said:
Is there any disadvantage to getting off the AGP Bus? Forgime my ignorance.

AGP is old hat these days, PCI-E is the new and better graphics slot. I would recommend getting a totally new system with a cheap dual core and PCI-E graphics card as it will help massively when opening your 300mb files. Should increase your productivity by a significant amount as you won't be waiting around for ages anymore!
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2008 4:45:00 PM

IMO if you stick with AGP get the largest memory you can get because shunting resources to memory on AGP would be painful in comparison, for PCIe should you have large models then using the Hypermemory sharing system memory is much less painful and not as much of an issue for Autocad versus a game, but still I think get as large as you can for that class of card. The HD2600 is a solid choice, but even an HD2400 would be fine, however I think the limited vertex power of an X1250 or 1300/1400 model may leave you wanting, the X1600 would probably be OK, but likely still sluggish compared to even an HD2400 for your needs.

The other thing is everything lower than the X1600XT is limited to 1 dual-link DVI connection, and then for the X1600XT and above you need to see support per model. If you're at all considering adding another panel similar to the one you have, that should be considered. The X1650XT and X1950Pro both have 2 dual-link DVI connections, IMO just get the HD2K series and you're guaranteed the dual-link DVI and HDMI support you're looking for.

Also, IMO, get at least a 512MB AGP card, if you go PCIe you might be OK for 256MB, but yours is a rare case where memory size will matter more than getting an extra 50mhz out of the VRAM or core.
February 6, 2008 4:57:56 PM

Quote:
Your first suggestion wont work Rgeist, As he has only a Geforce 4, and the 64mb wont be enough to power that resolution also the Geforce doesnt support HDMI so his screen probably be all funny looking. Much better off getting a newer GFX Card
Thanks, that was a concern of mine, but I wasn't sure how high of a 2D res 64MB of GRAM would support. Learned something new, I suppose. :p 
February 6, 2008 5:56:47 PM

So do I have a PCIe slot? You guys kind of lost me there with all the talk of "painful comparison" and "vertex power" I can't get a new machine, it was all I could do to get the boss to spring for a new graphics card. If there's a sure fire solution in AGP then
February 6, 2008 5:58:57 PM

I doubt you've got a PCI-e slot. At least one that will fit a graphics card. You may have a little short PCIex1 slot or something, but other than that, you'd need a new motherboard with a proper PCIe x16 slot.
February 6, 2008 6:24:59 PM

Any card that can support your monitirs resolution and has DVI to HDMI adapter will work. 95% of cards today. In my situation I need a true HDMI card because my monitor is a 42" HDTV LCD and I want Video and Audio through the HDMI. If you dont need audio to your monitor the adapters are all you need. ATI 3450 might suit you just fine.
February 6, 2008 6:26:30 PM

the only video card with a built-in HDMI output (to my knowledge anyway) is the XFX GeForce 7600GS HDMI. Unfortunately it's a pci-e exclusive though.
February 6, 2008 6:50:15 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Any card that can support your monitirs resolution and has DVI to HDMI adapter will work. 95% of cards today. In my situation I need a true HDMI card because my monitor is a 42" HDTV LCD and I want Video and Audio through the HDMI. If you dont need audio to your monitor the adapters are all you need. ATI 3450 might suit you just fine.

I think that will be hard to find if not at all a graphics card that can do video and audio together sense graphics cards are just that for displaying information. HDMI is just DVI with audio included. one thing you could try to find is a mobo with integrated HDMI port that comes with sound integrated as well but the downside to that is you won't be able to play many games with integrated audio
February 6, 2008 7:03:48 PM

Nik_I said:
the only video card with a built-in HDMI output (to my knowledge anyway) is the XFX GeForce 7600GS HDMI.

There are lots of HDMI videocards out there now. I know Sparkle makes a 7900 GS with an HDMI output, and there's a bunch of Radeons with them as well. Do a google search and see.
February 6, 2008 7:25:02 PM

Yea, but the problem is he doesnt have PCI-E only AGP, heck he might not even have AGP only PCI

I suggest Wood you check your BUS see withers its AGP or PCI
February 6, 2008 7:49:58 PM

OK then. I'll try to find a good AGP card with 512MB that will handle the 1920 x 1200. I guess the 1080P isn't a factor in my case.

Thanks All,

Tony
February 6, 2008 9:57:43 PM

Any card you pick that can support 1080p resolution sizes will work with the DVI to HDMI adapter. You will just have to use speakers from a source other then your monitor which "YOU" probably were going to do anyhow. The only reason you need a HDMI to HDMI would be if you needed sound from the speakers on your monitor/TV.

Captaincharisma: The video cards I spoke of are available and all they do is have S/PDIF connector on them so you can connect your video card to it , then the card can transmit the audio in the video feed via HDMI. Trust me I am a HTPC system builder. I build them both ways. It just depends on if you want sound and video on the same cable or not.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2008 10:11:28 PM

woody240 said:
I guess the 1080P isn't a factor in my case.

Yes it is, worse actually, since single link will not power 1920x1200 at 60hz let alone 1920x1080.

So either it's VGA output for some or else a dual-link HDMI connection, the GF7 AGP series don't support dual link HDMI from what I remember, and many of the PCIe versions reserve the dual link for the DVI out, so you need to make sure both support enough bandwidth to drive your monitor.

I don't see why the HD2400Pro 512MB AGP wouldn't be your primary choice, I understand you don't want adapters, but once the DVI-HDMI adapter is connected, it'll act like an intergrated HDMI port. And if you want dual monitors then the HD2600Pro Xazax linked to would be perfect as well.

Personally I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of checking which version of the GF7 series it was whether they added the second dual link TMDS externally (only 1 internally on the GF7900 and 7600 [two on the 7950]), for a card that likely costs more too.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2008 10:15:45 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Any card you pick that can support 1080p resolution sizes will work with the DVI to HDMI adapter.

Not true. If it supports 1080P/30 or 1080P/50, then it won't support 1920x1200 @ 60hz. Best be sure you know before you buy. You can push 52 frames per second in 1080P through single tmds HDMI, but not 60, and so it depends on format.

Quote:
You will just have to use speakers from a source other then your monitor which "YOU" probably were going to do anyhow. The only reason you need a HDMI to HDMI would be if you needed sound from the speakers on your monitor/TV.

Not sure how important audio over HDMI is when plugging it into that monitor, which would have trouble reproducing good stereo IMO.... just saying. :sol: 
February 6, 2008 10:22:45 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Not true. If it supports 1080P/30 or 1080P/50, then it won't support 1920x1200 @ 60hz. Best be sure you know before you buy. You can push 52 frames per second in 1080P through single tmds HDMI, but not 60, and so it depends on format.

Quote:
You will just have to use speakers from a source other then your monitor which "YOU" probably were going to do anyhow. The only reason you need a HDMI to HDMI would be if you needed sound from the speakers on your monitor/TV.

Not sure how important audio over HDMI is when plugging it into that monitor, which would have trouble reproducing good stereo IMO.... just saying. :sol: 

Are you High? Do you know what you are talking about? You dont make any sense.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2008 10:52:56 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Are you High? Do you know what you are talking about? You dont make any sense.

What an intelligent reply... [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you shouldn't give people advice about making HTPCs, let alone building them for others. [:thegreatgrapeape:2]
February 6, 2008 10:54:00 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
What an intelligent reply... [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you shouldn't give people advice about making HTPCs, let alone building them for others. [:thegreatgrapeape:2]

If you knew what you were talking about the rest of us might.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2008 11:03:53 PM

Perhaps you can be more specific about which parts you're having trouble with, because the deficiency here is in your comprehension, not my statements. :pt1cable: 

And if the best you have to offer is 'are you high', then I can understand why you're having difficulties, since communication is obviously not one of your strengths. :pfff: 
February 6, 2008 11:13:56 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
Perhaps you can be more specific about which parts you're having trouble with, because the deficiency here is in your comprehension, not my statements. :pt1cable: 

And if the best you have to offer is 'are you high', then I can understand why you're having difficulties, since communication is obviously not one of your strengths. :pfff: 

I'm not having any trouble with parts. No one is. The OP wanted to know how to get full 1080P on his monitor, and we are trying to help him. You on the other hand said that it wont work.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2008 11:43:07 PM

Galaxy makes an 8800gt with native HDMI too.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2008 12:40:12 AM

No he didn't, and no I didn't.

Look at the title of the thread, and then look again at what he's asking and then decide whether you think that is just 'how to get full 1080P on his monitor' , heck you could do that with an analogue VGA out with the card he has now on that monitor.

If he's having trouble with the SI-164 TMDS on the GF4 pushing full resolution, then the Gateway may not support the level of reduced blanking required to produce a 1920x1200 image at 60hz. Without significant reduced blanking support he'll be stuck below that. If that's the case then he needs dual-link TMDS to provide enough to power full resolution at full refresh.

Single-Link CAN power 1920x1080 and 1920x1200, but you're monitor & card needs to support a large enough percentage of reduced blanking to get within that threshold, and with HDMI's various transmission methods, just saying it 'supports 1080P' doesn't ensure it supports higher resolutions, since only 10bit 1080P/60 requires dual-link, that's why a blanket 1080P statement isn't a guarantee since 30hz 1080P wouldn't require anywhere near the same bandwidth even at 12bit per channel provided by HDMI.

Best thing for the OP to do is to check with Gateway about what's required, and not guess at supporting 1080P = supporting 1920x1200. Because according to the GF4t's specs it should handle it fine.
February 7, 2008 1:09:19 AM

I didn't mean to start a war. I don't really care if it should/can run on 1080P that's just what the sticker on the front says and I was hoping to get the most out of it. I don't fully understand the refresh rate/aspect ratio stuff. If I could sum up my desires they would be as follows:

1- A monitor that doesn't go black from time to time
2- A monitor that was clear and crisp for reading spreadsheets and word docs.
3- A video card that may provide quicker opening of CAD files and 200-300 MB PDF blueprints.

Sound is of no concern at all, dual monitors are not a likely scenario in the future either. No gaming at all and no watching of movies (unless Paris does a sequel to that.... nevermind that). I can't thank you all enough for your input.

Tony
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2008 1:21:27 AM

Well it depends on the properties of the Gateway, what model? Is this it?
http://www.gateway.com/programs/widescreen/24_overview....

For speadsheets and word docs, you wouldn't need any kind of graphic power or even large memory space, the issue will be AutoCad if anything.

Just curious why the need for HDMI versus DVI?

When you tried the GF4 you get fuzzy images and black screens?

EDIT: you updated as I was replying.
I still think your PDF issues will be mainly host (CPU+RAM+HDD) based and not be an issue with the graphics card, AutoCad will show some performance differences based on card power, but it is still far less demanding than other apps like 3DSMax etc. but you'd want enough VRAM to be able to display complex models.
February 7, 2008 1:31:29 AM

Woody,

Forget the 1080p, that is for movie or tv watching.

PC usage is the Native Resolution of your lcd monitor. That is what everything your pc outputs looks best at.

My 28" 1080p monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1200. That is what I set my resolution at on my pc. Yours may be 1900x1080.

It is a widescreen format vs a squarish 4:3 resolution like old tv's or crt monitors.

A rgb (pc blue cable end) connection will do fine, but is an analog signal. PC outputs digital signal, converts to an analog to go out over the cable, then reconverts to digital at your shiny new screen.

A DVI cable will stay digital from pc to tv and look much better. HDMI adds the ability to carry sound over the same cable, if you need sound on your monitor. I use seperate speakers/headset connected to my pc and not to my monitor.

The 2400/2600 pro AGP sounds like what you need, along with a DVI cable.

Make sure you have cleartype enabled if this is your first lcd.
February 7, 2008 1:49:03 AM

Its default on in Vista. Type clear type in your help and search on your start menu for directions to install it on your OS if you use Windows.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2008 2:04:15 AM

Yeah that's the same monitor I linked to , just different page.

In the specs on your link, under High Def features it does mention "1080p HD through DVI-D connection" but not the HDMI connection. The DVI-D is a 24pin dual-link connection, so nothing is explicit other than the omission of HDMI in that section. So before deciding on HDMI as your connection of choice, I'd check with Gateway that you can drive full resolution with the HDMI connection. You definitely could with both the DVI-D and VGA.

On the other page/link it only puts DVI-D and Component for 1080P support.

Also check the EZ-tune software, just a quick look for spec/support info brought me alot of hits from people having issues with that and the drivers in their cards, one mfr more than other, but that may just be the ones that came up first.

Asfor Clear Type, here's M$'s ClearType page, it really does make a nice difference;
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx

BTW, you can set it manually control panel or using their Tuning Wizard (there's one for XP and one for Vista).
February 7, 2008 2:16:10 AM

OK that's really good info. I may not know which video card to order but at least I learned about ClearType. I can't wait to get back to the office and try that setting.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2008 2:25:06 AM

IMO, regardless of what the Gateway does and doesn't support, you can't go wrong with that $84.99 Radeon HD2600 with 512MB of RAM that Xazax linked to it come with the HDMI adapter, and has dual monitor support thrown in even if you don't use it.

If anything it will support MORE than you need, but definitely not less than you need.

You might be able to use other options, but considering the price and your statement that you're not looking to save money, then that choice at least save you the hassle of determining your minimum level of acceptability.

Anywhoo, I'm outta here, gonna go catch Collective Soul playing at the hockey bar here downtown. :sol: 
February 7, 2008 2:33:25 AM

Reviews on that card were not that great, any other suggestions?
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2008 2:51:07 AM

Until the HD3450 is widely available, no. Unless you can get the answers from Gateway on the other issues, I don't know what you need for support.

And about those reviews, I don't give NewEgg 'reviewers' much cred, if you look at the issue of the two bottom reviews, it seems pretty obvious that neither n00b understands that 800mhz means 400mhz DDR, I doubt you'd find DDR2 VRAM memory that runs at 800/1600mhz. So I wouldn't give them much weight.

The other review talks about a specific gaming issue, and alt-tabbing out of CS has been an issue since way back.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/75081-33-comp-freezes

So really is that a big concern for you?

Anywhoo, I'm outta here gotta go meet up with friends for 10ish at the pub.
!