Risks of Overclocking? "Overclock Fail!"

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Hi

im a new on the overclockign world, but i have some doubs that really worry me i would be glad if some experienced members could enlight me a bit.

my system

Qx9650 + Asus P5E3 Deluxe with 2gb xms corsair 1333 ddr3 memory
HSF thermal take V1 using Artic silver 5 Thermal conpound

this are my doubs

this morning i tried to overclock merely raising the muliplier and the FSB, i tried multiplier on 11 and FSB on 400. but it failed.

since i successful overclocked to 3.8ghz from raising the fsb to 350 and multiplier to 11 and leaving everything else on auto

I made tests and the processor stayed cool 54c on full load, so i wanted to reach 4ghz just for testing pourposes

I read some where that other users having the same systen configuration as me wouldnt reach the 360 to 390 fsb cause it ill fail, and i read someone said they succesful oc to 4.x ghz raising multiplier to 11 and the fsb to 400

So i tryed that but fail.... ok this its what really scared me when the overclock fails, when i turn it on it ill be auto restarting in a loop untill it bios for some reason i dont know finaly boot.

then shows on the screen overclock fail! and says invald cpuvid (i left the CPUVID in auto)

my question "its that normal?" what i have to do in case of overlock fail its that safe or should i panic that?.

my other question its does the procesor surfer off some kind of stress by using overclock at stock voltage? (excluding temperature of course), for example if i have a procesor overclocked but i have nice cooler and it satsys as cool as a stock clocked procesor with a stock cooler will my procesor surfer some kind of aditional stress to the stock one, staying at the same temperature?

I been reading for several hours here on toms hardware and many other sites b4 even try to overclock but couldnt get this doubs off.

Thanks in advance. :sweat:

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Stock voltage? LOL, I will tell you what, if it is on auto, it sure isn't stock any more.

So you tried to merely raise the FSB and multiplier. Well, one you multiply the multiplier times the FSB you get the speed, so it failed because you tried 4.4 Ghz with the voltage on Auto. Auto is no good for upper over clocks.

When the OC fails, and you see the message after a re boot, it means that the system actually hung up, and couldn't do anything, and a safety feature kicks in and un does the over clock, so you can enter the BIOS again.

"Stock" voltage is your VID. VID has nothing to do with voltage in this aspect, other than it will have an imprinted value on that chip of yours!

You can go into the bios and disable speed step, C1E and EIST, and then hit windows and run either Real temp, or Core Temp, and either will list your VID.

You mention leaving the "cpuvid" on auto. Auto will add voltage as you over clock, so being on auto just means that YOU have no control over fine tuning of voltages! So who knows what auto is using for the core voltage? At least you can use CPUz and look when you are in windows.

The processor can be subject to minor stress, depending on voltage and speed, and heat! But as long as you keep an eye on them, all should be well!

--Lupi

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
ddr3? you do know that for a processor with an FSB of 1333 you dont need 1333 RAM... 667 will do, lol. $25 for ram of that quality :p

G

UMMM yeah he wants help overclocking. 667 would be fine for stock speeds. Yeah he could just raise the multiplier but a fsb bump is necessary for those high ocs hes apparently gunning for. 1333 may be a bit overkill but then again he bought the extreme edition processor ;)

As for the op, its pretty hard to fry modern day cpus as they shut off and throttle before getting damaged. Have you read the sticky on how to oc

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

You cant just jump to 4.4 ghz leaving stuff on auto voltages and what not. Go through the guide and learn to gradually up your oc

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Yeah, that's actually pretty normal. I would even say it's desirable when an overclock fails. My first board didn't do anything. It just wouldn't start up, so I would have to change a jumper on the motherboard to reset the cmos.

It's a lot easier when it just resets the settings for you.

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Make sure to stay away from OCZ platinum 6400 sticks. They work fine @ 400.8 MHz (5:6) but if I try 400fsb (1:1) for the same ram frequency they fail!

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Another common mistake that a lot of people make, is trying to overclock an entire system all at once. How can you effectively trouble shoot a bad overclock when you are jacking the fsb, cpu, and messing with new dividers?

I would drop the multi a couple of notches, then raise the FSB until you achieve a stable FSB to your liking, while testing your ram for speed and stability. Then once the FSB and memory is stable, start overclocking the cpu. This way your not overclocking everything at once, so when you crash or prime95 craps out, you wont be guessing why.

alphadan

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
sportsfanboy 256gej modtech

thx for the help u really clear my doubs, my principal doub was what could i do in case of after overclock fails the system woulnt never boot, i didnt had idea it could be reseted ona jumper on the mobo.

and yes i tried to overclock all at once hehehe ive read that ppl start with somethign and then gradually and ups, the reason why i tried all at once was cause i read someone got it doing that but ill try gradually now that are good tips.

well what can i say im just a newb on overclocking means.

G

I have just started overclocking too and i have noticed that on my processor, so I did some research and came up with this.

1). How intel makes their processors is in a batch of like 20 cpu's with four cores the cpu's where 2 cores fail are dual core cpu's and Intel test how fast they will go some are 2.3 GHz others are 3.2 GHz. But if you buy a 2.8 GHz cpu i could run at 2.9 Ghz if they do not have a 2.9 GHz model, or it could be 2.7 GHz it is usually hard to get a model like that but it can happen and it will always happen to a noob. So that shows that your cpu may not run as high as others or some cpu's are not as flexible.

2).The is it normal question, answer yes the bios will normally try three times to overclock it if it does not work that it puts iit at stock speed.

3).As for voltage if you processor is not very hot (above 65c) is should be safe.

Here is a tip when going out or going to bed put your pc to sleep it helps with my pc.
My system is overclocked to 3.0 GHz on a Intel core 2 quad q9300 2.5 GHz stock running at 37c idle and 57c on crysis

I hope this helps.
My system:
GIGABYTE UD3R Ultra Durable3
Intel core 2 quad q9300
BFG GTX260
8GB of Corsair ddr2 8000 MHz

(I would not reccomend overclocking amd cpu's they get very HOT.)