Complicated network question - ICS, Wireless, Different LANs

babaabooey

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I have a (what seems to me) a rather difficult networking question.

To start, I have done the following:

1. One LAN on 192.168.2.0/255 which sits behind a Hotbrick Dual Wan Router. The Router has dual WAN ports and I to start had only 1 WAN connection out to the net

2. I took a LAPTOP with two WIRED (WW1 and WW2) cards and one WIRELESS adapter (W1) and was able to connect the laptop to a Wireless LAN (sits on 192.168.1.0/255) which has its own separate internet connection.

a. On the router that controls the 192.168.1.0/255 LAN I set the static IP of the laptop connected via wireless adapter (W1) as the DMZ
b. I then ran a cable from one of the wired adapters (WW1) to the WAN two port on the HOTBRICK dual WAN router that controls the 192.168.2.0/255 LAN and in the settings set the WAN 2 in the HOTBRICK to a static IP of 192.168.0.2
c. On the laptop I enabled ICS (Internet connection sharing) for the wireless connection (W1) and shared it with the wired connection (WW1) that is cabled to the WAN 2 port on the HOTBRICK. This automatically assigned 192.168.0.1 as the IP of the wired connection (W1)

3. After all of this I was successfully able to use the internet connection via the laptop from all of the computers behind the HOTBRICK in the 192.168.2.0/255 LAN provided I directed all HTTP traffic through the WAN 2 port on the HOT BRICK

**So no problems from that point**

This is where I am hung up.

I now want to do the following

1. On the laptop there is an additional wired connector (W2) that I have ran a cable from to a open internal LAN port on the 192.168.2.0/255 LAN.

a. When doing this, the (W2) connection is automatically assigned an IP address on the 192.168.2.0/255 LAN
b. When then browsing the internet from the laptop - all traffic is going through the internet connection on the 192.168.2.0/255 connection.
c. No traffic is able to pass on the WIRELESS connection either directly on the laptop (even though it shows as connected) and no traffic is able to pass on the WAN 2 connection as stated in #3 above.

The reason I need to do this is I have certain software on the laptop that will need to interact with the 192.168.2.0/255 LAN via the (W2) wired connection but I STILL need to have the wireless connection (W1) connected to the 192.168.1.0/255 LAN and share that internet connection with the 192.168.2.0/255 LAN via the WAN 2 port on the HOTBRICK as I described earlier.

Thanks for any advice.

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
It took me a while just to follow your setup. It is simple; its all on your laptop. Do a ipconfig /all on your laptop and you should see all 3 connections, WW1, WW2, and W1. Look in each of those sections and you should see that WW2 is marked as default connection (I think its because you connected it last).

What you want to do is to make either WW1 or W1 as your default connection. There may be 2 ways but I only know one. The first, I don't know, way is to adjust dhcp client on your windows to mark your desired connection as default. Research on the net on that. The seond, I know, way is to manually assign an IP address (192.168.2.x, you pick x), mask 255.255.255.0, BUT leave out the IP address field for default gatway AND DNS related IP fields. You also need to configure your HotBrick so that its dhcp does not assign your manually assigned IP to other nodes. This will make Windows pick one of the other IP, WW1 or W1, as default and DNS will be resolved through the other router that provides the wireless.

Hope that helps!