• Performance fans

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • Silent fans

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
"Fan Noise" is not only related to the fan it's self but also the design of the fan grill and the proximity of components.
I have found the the large aperture honeycomb pattern to be the quietest fan grill opposed to no grill at all.
I keep my ambient room temp in the 70 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit region if my fans keep the motherboard temp close to 20 degrees warmer or less, I am happy.
Currently all my cases use 12cm fans, that run at about 1800 rpm.
Case air flow is way more important than fan speed.
So my vote is quiet, good performing fans.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
most performance, not bothered about noise, if its loud, i have headphones to use when gaming, and a switch to turn down the fans if i want to leave it on over night, i think ive got the best of both worlds tbh..

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I could not vote for both because I have a Silverstone TJ09 with five Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fans that are powerful and pretty quiet for the amount of air they push. My 8800GTX fan (@ 100% dudy cycle) drowns out all five fans, lol. But I had to vote so I tossed a coin and it was heads = performance. :D You can aways put 3D headphones on.

narutard

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Depends how big is your room, if you are in a tiny room, you don't want to be next to a carrier jet. But if you are in a large room with a good sound system, I doubt the sound from your computer would matter. So in the end it depends on your situation and resources.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
or just use performance fans with a fan controller...I did this on an old build with [4] 92mm tornado fans, i think they were rated at 110 cfm, but were awfully loud, at 56db or higher, so just paired it up with a cheap controller and it worked wonders, I think you achieve the perfect combination of both with a fan controller.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
My Antec 900 with yate loons, a great CPU cooler, and the HR03 for the GPU with a 120mm on low was very quiet. I had it all OC'ed too. So you can have both if you buy quality. I went water anyway, so it's almost silent now.

I've got a TT venus 12. runs at 6700rpm or something. 92mm i think. loud as a jet engine. don't care, i get 36C overclocked 400mhz.

that's why god made 280w speakers.
or headphones.

I can't stand a noisy computer as it is hard to work next to. So if I had to choose, it would be silence over performance, although there are some quiet case fans that move a lot of air in a hurry. I wish I could say the same things for GPUs as most of them have fans that neither move much air nor are very quiet. The GPU is usually one of the noisiest components in a computer if the GPU has any power to it as they make too much heat to be passively-cooled. Basically the only ones that can be passively cooled are at best midrange units and they even tend to have trouble overheating unless a bunch of air is moving through the case.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Exactly! I guess it also depends onw hat your used to working with or your surroundigns for that matter, coming form the garage, sound is a good indicator that the car is running, and by the type of sound it makes, fine...but I guess some ppl are just over-sensitive...lol sounds like when you are comparing homo's to straights :lol: :lol: :lol:

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

DAMN! 11 - 120mm's

I choose performace also, but i have only 4 - 120's and 1 - 200mm.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Silence as simply making your case neat and re-directing your air flow accordingly helps to keep it cooler than more powerful fans can.

And it also has the side effect of looking awesome.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I guess it depends on how many fans you need to use. For people who only uses one, a performance fan is preferable. However if people uses several fans, like me, quieter fans are probably better.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I like it when she knows what she's doing performance-wise and when she's loud. ;)
Honestly the fan noise never really bothers me that much, when the wife isn't watching TV I have the sound cranked up. When she is I have my headphones on. My good old 8800 GTS 640 is usually set at 70% or higher fan speed and my case is loaded with fans, I just want cool and well-performing.

cjp3

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
I'm very sensitive to noise, even the quiet one. I often use the PC in the night in a totally silent room, and every noise annoys me.