• Homebuilt
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Microsoft
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 8:16:20 PM

Found this at PCWorld:http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006408.html Basicly what its saying is that XP will stop shipping on January 30th.
Quote:
Microsoft is planning to discontinue most sales of Windows XP on January 30th--effectively ensuring that just about any Windows machine you buy from July 1st onwards will run Vista, whether you want it to or not.

Lots of folks would prefer to maintain the XP option. And our colleagues at InfoWorld have set up a clever site called SaveXP.com to serve as a gathering place for XP supporters. It's got a save-XP petition which more than 70,000 folks have signed, articles, podcasts, links, and a lot more.

Head over there to check it out and, if you so choose, put your name on the petition. Or take our little survey on XP and its fate--I'll report back on the results once a quorum of folks have voted...

Here is the link to the survey:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/archives/2008/01/sa...

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section ;) , but this is one of the more popular sections.

2/10/2008:
Save XP Petition count update:
Quote:
Join the 84,152 people so far (as of 9a PT on Feb. 8) who have had signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

2/12/2008
Quote:
Join the 90,381 people so far (as of 9a PT on Feb. 12) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely

1/14/2008
Quote:
Join the 92,439 people so far (as of 9a PT on Feb. 14) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

How many of the people on THF has signed the petition I wonder....
Please post "I have voted" if you have voted on the petition

@turpit could you please sticky this? Pretty Please :D 

2/20/2008
Save XP Count update:
Quote:
Join the 94,690 people so far (as of 9a PT on Feb. 19) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

2/22/2008
Save XP Count Update:
Quote:
Join the 95,766 people so far (as of 9a PT on Feb. 22) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

2/25/2008
Save XP Count Update:
Quote:
Join the 96,424 people so far (as of 9a PT on Feb. 25) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/archives/2008/01/si...

3/2/2008
Save XP Count Update:
Quote:
Join the 97,280 people so far (as of 9a PT on Feb. 28) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

3/11/2008
Quote:
Join the 99,391 people so far (as of 9a PT on March 10) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

3/18/2008
Quote:
Join the 100,595 people so far (as of 9a PT on March 13) who have signed our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but instead keep it available indefinitely.

More about : save

January 30, 2008 8:34:52 PM

About time...Vista is awesome when you have a machine that can run it.

Evolution

***edit
Get those XP programmers focusing on Vista also.
January 30, 2008 8:38:28 PM

given that you have to authorize XP through the internet, they can shut it off at any time anyway... All they have to do is send something through the net to require authorization and then shut the authorization tool off.

That's why at some point... we'll all be on linux prolly. :rolleyes:
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 8:40:41 PM

So I guess XP SP3 will be download only when it comes out.
January 30, 2008 8:47:16 PM

pip_seeker said:
given that you have to authorize XP through the internet, they can shut it off at any time anyway... All they have to do is send something through the net to require authorization and then shut the authorization tool off.

Do you have any idea of what you are talking about?
January 30, 2008 8:54:41 PM

I think M$ should continue to sell XP only to OEMs. I like Vista at home, but I wouldn't want to support it at work.
January 30, 2008 8:57:34 PM

I took the survey... hopefully this will let manufacturers and developers concentrate on optimizing their hardware and software for Vista... RIP XP, you were good and I will dual-boot you for the indefinite future... but it's time to move on.
January 30, 2008 9:05:39 PM

I think XP is safe for a while. Microsoft has a very stern-looking End-of-Life chart for all the Operating Systems but they have a history of extending support. MS extended mainstream support for both NT and 2000 past their original end-of-life dates. With the slow adaptation of Vista, I see no reason why XP won't go well beyond its intended 5-year lifespan.

Not that MS wants it that way...

January 30, 2008 9:07:05 PM

They won't shut off activation. They'll just stop distributing copies of XP. So people will still get to reactivate if they have a reinstallation of XP.
January 30, 2008 9:07:07 PM

With XP as with all Microsoft software currently for sale, the registration key can be revoked.
Also WGA can be push updated to kill any install of windows software.
I just wish I could get my Pinnacle HDTV card working with GNU/Linux, it would be all over for MS in my house.

In XP Pro I open a browser window and connect to google in 4 seconds.

In Vista Ultimate the same action takes 18 seconds.

WHY?
January 30, 2008 9:08:19 PM

your comp isn't good enough or hasn't gotten used to your habits. the more you use vista the more it will precache your most used applications so they start up faster...
January 30, 2008 9:13:24 PM

XP should just be M$ solution for the corporate world instead of the business version of Vista [which is basically XP].
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 9:21:29 PM

Besides, on XP, if you are so scared of them shutting it off, after you get all your updates, then run a software firewall that can block programs from having internet access, and just block anything microsoft, that would help on that end.
January 30, 2008 9:23:53 PM

miltoxbeyond said:
your comp isn't good enough or hasn't gotten used to your habits. the more you use vista the more it will precache your most used applications so they start up faster...

Yeah i turned that crap off. It makes your computer slower over all. But on the other note this sounds like when people upgraded to XP and expected it to run the same on old hardware as 98 did. If you seriously expect old hardware to run the same on every single windows OS as it did on the previous (duh) dunno what to tell ya.

My Vista Ultimate so far is pretty fast and responsive though im sure if i ran xp 64 bit it would be much faster.

Like has been said windows vista runs great if your computer can handle it.

XP is really the first windows i enjoyed using untill XP i wanted to go back to DOS 6.22 Vista isnt any worse then XP for me other then lazy ass companys that cant write a driver to save thier lives.

Other then 2 or 3 programs of mine that arent 100% compatable and a none existant sound blaster driver for my card other then the windows standard driver, I cant say i have had any issues with vista other then figuring out what was upgraded lol. They messed up some menus moved some stuff nedlessly and redid the sound properties in a way thats confusing and limiting.

Stability? i have yet to have any stability issues with any windows operating system i have used aside from when i have had faulty hardware such as ram or a cpu.

Im all for saving XP for some things. I used to use 98 on some older computers around the house while my main computer was upgraded to XP it will always have its uses much like 95 still has some ueses (i suppose if i still have a k6-2 300 laying around)

I dont really see what everyone is talking about when they bash on vista but then again everytime a new windows comes out they all say the same thing and want to save the old one. and the same people do the same when the next OS comes out they want to save the one they wanted to get rid of before and so on.
January 30, 2008 9:27:58 PM

Very true, EnFoRceR22. Everyone hated XP when it came out. Why?: because it wasnt the same as Win98. Stuff was different, you had to go to different locations to find stuff. Honestly, Vista isnt that bad if you use it. If you dont use it, dont bash it.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 9:32:38 PM

Vista is a great OS but it still has problems. Security is much better compared to XP on most of the items. But XP still should be around, just in case since it IS supporting most of the the apps out there that still don't work on Vista.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 9:34:19 PM

grieve said:
About time...Vista is awesome when you have a machine that can run it.

Evolution

***edit
Get those XP programmers focusing on Vista also.

True, but try gaming on Vista. So far DX10 is just BS.
January 30, 2008 9:38:33 PM

Shadow703793 said:
But XP still should be around, just in case since it IS supporting most of the the apps out there that still don't work on Vista.

Right on the money.

I have clients that have contact-management and accounting programs that are STILL not Vista-compatible or have only become so in the last month or two. That's not entirely the publisher's fault or MS's fault, but it seems completely bizarre to me that it's been a year since Vista's release and it can't be adopted by some companies even if they want it.

This means YOU, Sage Software!

January 30, 2008 10:02:08 PM

I game on Vista Ultimate 64. I play Oblivion and Crysis and have no issues to report. It seems like bunches of posters (not necessarily in this thread) have gaming issues but I for one haven't noticed any problems.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 30, 2008 10:12:00 PM

Not Bashing Vista, I've had no problems with it, although I still prefer XP!

I often see comments indicating that individuals knocking Vista performance is because they have out dated hardware. This is not totally true. Probably a large number that upgraded to vista also upgraded their hardware - The performace increase was prabably due to Hardware.

My Son has a dual quad-core workstation. He tried vista 64, He said it was considerably SLOWER than XP 32 bit. He didn't even activate it.

My new Vista 1.6 GHz intel dual core Laptop (Bought it last week) w/1 gig Ram is slower than my old 1.1 Athlon XP W/384 Megs ram. I've ordered 2 gigs to replace the ram. Will see what that does to improve vista.
January 30, 2008 10:23:58 PM

Vista is the new Windows ME.... You won't find anyone who builds performance systems using it as their main OS. I have migrated more systems back to XP in the last 6 months than I built in the previous 2 years. Especially laptops where performance is usually marginal. XP runs 100% faster on the average system. Yep, Vista has better security alright... I make a ton of money setting up home networks for people can't figure out to get Vista to communicate. You won't see any corporate support for Vista either.... This OS will have a very short life. Long live XP Pro!
January 30, 2008 10:52:44 PM

Quote:

Unless you're using dialup even 4 seconds is pretty crappy. I have Vista Ultimate and openning browser and connecting to Google takes less then 1 full second, unless my internet connection is really slow. Also "gaming sucks on Vista" is a complete myth now a days. With current hardware and updates Vista is as good if not better then XP in gaming. Hey while you're at it why don't you start a Save The P4 thread
January 30, 2008 10:56:55 PM

Quote:
You won't see any corporate support for Vista either.... This OS will have a very short life. Long live XP Pro!
Actually most corporations opted to stay with Windows 2000 rather then XP. XP Pro really only became the standard when support for 2000 dropped. So that doesn't really hold up.
January 30, 2008 10:58:54 PM

I agree with purplerat. When XP came out, it offered nothing new for users of 2000.
January 30, 2008 11:03:31 PM

retro77 said:
I agree with purplerat. When XP came out, it offered nothing new for users of 2000.
And now Vista offers nothing new for users of XP. So why bother changing.....for DX10? :lol:  :lol: 
January 30, 2008 11:15:43 PM

Zorg said:
And now Vista offers nothing new for users of XP. So why bother changing.....for DX10? :lol:  :lol: 

Good one. We were forced over time to upgrade to XP. We will be forced again to upgrade to Vista. Nothing really we can do, 'cept hold onto your copies of XP.
January 30, 2008 11:20:23 PM

Zorg said:

Yup, and people said the exact same thing when Direct X first came out with Windows 95. 16bit DOS gaming is definitly the way to go!!! :bounce: 
January 30, 2008 11:28:22 PM

pip_seeker said:

No, but you and a tiny contingent of contrarians will. The rest of us will move on if we have not already. Vista 64 works great for me.
January 30, 2008 11:32:12 PM

bobbknight said:
With XP as with all Microsoft software currently for sale, the registration key can be revoked.
Also WGA can be push updated to kill any install of windows software.
I just wish I could get my Pinnacle HDTV card working with GNU/Linux, it would be all over for MS in my house.

WHY?

Two (2) seconds to Google on my Vista 64 box. I think superfetch is the key for that speed. I can open up the 8 tabs on my home page in less than 5 secs.
January 30, 2008 11:55:26 PM

vtr99 said:
Vista is the new Windows ME.... You won't find anyone who builds performance systems using it as their main OS. I have migrated more systems back to XP in the last 6 months than I built in the previous 2 years. Especially laptops where performance is usually marginal. XP runs 100% faster on the average system. Yep, Vista has better security alright... I make a ton of money setting up home networks for people can't figure out to get Vista to communicate. You won't see any corporate support for Vista either.... This OS will have a very short life. Long live XP Pro!

Go to http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php? and see how many extreme builders are using Vista 64. I was shocked. I thought most all of them would be XP but not so. I think the word is that Vista 64 on high end hardware is a good choice, if you know what you are doing and can live with some minor incompatibilities.

100% faster? You mean that one office benchmark? If you read the comments on the officebench blog you will see lots of variance in the results posted by users. They re-ran the test with aero turned off and someother bck Vista features and got very different results:
Quote:
As for us, we just revisited the tests (again), stripping Vista to the "bone" by removing all of the eye candy and background services. We managed to get Vista closer (~40% slower vs. ~80% slower in previous attempts) to XP, but nowhere near on par.

This is just one benchmark and I think all of us here know how misleading benchmarks can be.

How about frame rate - look here, the gap is closed pretty much http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_nvidia_windows_...
January 31, 2008 12:01:27 AM

purplerat said:
Yup, and people said the exact same thing when Direct X first came out with Windows 95. 16bit DOS gaming is definitly the way to go!!! :bounce: 
So you admit that's the only reason to switch to Vista. I appreciate your honesty. ;) 
January 31, 2008 12:28:29 AM

RIP xp. welcome vista. (sigh)
January 31, 2008 12:29:21 AM

i dont use gui's i still use dos 6.1 and bbs sites....;)
January 31, 2008 12:36:15 AM

colonelblake said:
i dont use gui's i still use dos 6.1 and bbs sites....;)

I applaud you sir. I talk to my PC in straight binary. Avoids any misundertandings.

Seriously, the old systems had a lot of charm. I still have an operational Mac classic and a nice Dos 5 and windows 3.1 box I fire up from time to time.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2008 12:44:01 AM

carver_g said:
Right on the money.

I have clients that have contact-management and accounting programs that are STILL not Vista-compatible or have only become so in the last month or two. That's not entirely the publisher's fault or MS's fault, but it seems completely bizarre to me that it's been a year since Vista's release and it can't be adopted by some companies even if they want it.

This means YOU, Sage Software!

:lol:  They had some kind of a contract (think it was for ACT) with my elementary school that I volunteered at (fixing up PCs, re-installing, trouble shootingetc). They did have compatibility issues with some other software that the county was running. (FCPS)
January 31, 2008 12:59:10 AM

russki said:
Do you have any idea of what you are talking about?

Ok, you must have been living under a rock for the past years XP has been out.

Windows gives you 30 days to activate it... OR it won't work. :pt1cable: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

January 31, 2008 1:06:36 AM

If they try to deactivate my valid copy of XP, that I paid for, then I will hack it. They won't do that though, they will just stop supporting it.

By the way, they haven't slated the elimination of support until 2012. Tack on a couple of years because of the bytch storm and that brings us to 2014. I say we just skip Vista all together. Except when we see their next offering, Vista will probably be preferable.
January 31, 2008 1:18:12 AM

Zorg said:
If they try to deactivate my valid copy of XP, that I paid for, then I will hack it. They won't do that though. They will just stop supporting it.

As long as there are zillions of XP users out there still I doubt MS will stop issuing critical updates, anytime soon that is, of course no OS will go on getting support forever.

I predict windows 7 will appease a lot of the Vista unrest, though it will be basically Vista SE, by that time the driver/compatibility issues will be pretty much gone and 7 will use the same drivers, more or less, as Vista, thus making the move painless enough and the old Vista/7 hating hardware will be ready for the dump.
January 31, 2008 1:24:55 AM

I've got a Q6600 OC to 3G and I'm using duh XP. I don't need all the extra pigsh**.

But you are right, everyone will migrate over and they will work the kinks out of Vista. Soon enough the complaint will be about how no software runs on XP.
January 31, 2008 1:50:07 AM

Unless they completely break with past practices, they would never actually deactivate an operating system. Hell, I recently installed DOS v6 on an old laptop and installed Zork just for fun.

Yes, I'm old! :kaola: 
January 31, 2008 1:58:09 AM

Shadow703793 said:
True, but try gaming on Vista. So far DX10 is just BS.

They still don't have any game engines that are designed specifically for DX10 :( 

All these "DX10" games are liars. Add a couple extensions to a DX9 engine and *POOF*..."look at OUR DX10 game!!"
January 31, 2008 2:08:45 AM

I800C0LLECT said:
They still don't have any game engines that are designed specifically for DX10 :( 

All these "DX10" games are liars. Add a couple extensions to a DX9 engine and *POOF*..."look at OUR DX10 game!!"

Right. I expect more game developers would be exploiting the full power of DX-10 if there was a market. And then we would see it shine on Vista both in terms of features/eye candy and performance.

Or maybe they are in the pipeline already? I don't keep up.
January 31, 2008 2:23:37 AM

Zorg said:
So you admit that's the only reason to switch to Vista. I appreciate your honesty. ;) 

Sorry I guess the sarcasm of "16bit DOS gaming is definitly the way to go!!! " Didn't come through. People act like idiots when it comes to why "switch" to Vista. If you buy a system with Vista you're not switching to Vista. It's when you downgrade to XP that you are switching. So shouldn't the question by "why switch to XP" since most people buying PCs nowadays be getting Vista, not XP? But if you really want why I use Vista...
in no paticular order
1.) Media Center
2.) It's what I have - I didn't go out of my way to upgrade to Vista.
3.) Aero is actually pretty cool when doing serious multitasking. I use 2000 at work and both at work and home and can easily have 20 items open and working on at once. People can bash Aero as just eye candy, but I find it really helps with productivity.
4.)4GB RAM, and actually having it all available. I may hardly ever come close to needing it, but hey it's nice knowing it's there.
5.)Video game stability. When using Beta drivers, if there's an issue the game simply pauses for a moment while Vista fixes it and then goes back to normal. Never had a BSOD caused by Beta video drivers (only ever had 1 BSOD in a year+ of Vista).
6.)Better multi-core optimization.

Good luck in 2014 using XP with a Dou-Deco Core CPU and 16GB of memory trying to play DX12 games.
January 31, 2008 2:26:05 AM

notherdude said:
I applaud you sir. I talk to my PC in straight binary. Avoids any misundertandings.

Seriously, the old systems had a lot of charm. I still have an operational Mac classic and a nice Dos 5 and windows 3.1 box I fire up from time to time.

Why don't we start a petition to get Crysis released on punch cards!
January 31, 2008 2:27:12 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Vista is a great OS but it still has problems. Security is much better compared to XP on most of the items. But XP still should be around, just in case since it IS supporting most of the the apps out there that still don't work on Vista.

XP has more holes than a #9 sponge.

January 31, 2008 2:39:22 AM

n00b_SLicer said:
XP has more holes than a #9 sponge.
Informative video wasn't it? :whistle:  I think purplerat should probably watch it.

purplerat, I'll still have my Q6600 in 2014, so what are you talking about? :kaola: 
January 31, 2008 2:49:16 AM

I just hate the media centre, the GUI is too slow. That and the fact that it tries to open .rar archives as the default program :lol: 
January 31, 2008 3:54:06 AM

>your comp isn't good enough or hasn't gotten used to your habits. the >more you use vista the more it will precache your most used >applications so they start up faster...

The comp I am running Vista on is a new build with a Q6600 and 4GB of ram. And a 4GB readyboost usb drive. Hard Drive is Sata II with 32MB cache.
For Pre-cache to work how many times do I need to open a browser window 20,000?

The comp with XP Pro is a skt 939 athlon X2 4800 with 2GB ram and an 8MB cache hd.

Programs are faster on the XP computer.

As to my connection it is what it is, sure after the initial browser window opening I to can open many tabs quickly too.
This still does not explain the time differences between the two OS's.
No I am not running Vista 64, and of course thats going to be faster, the whole 64 bit architecture is faster.
To Compaire XP Pro 32bit to Vista 32 bit is closer to the apple to apple analogy. Where a compairison between XP/Vista 32 bit and Vista 64 bit is more apple to orange.
Now lets look at the two soon to be out service packs for XP and Vista.
XP SP3 increases the speed of XP
Vista SP1 does not increase the speed of Vista.

The only thing I like about Vista is the multimedia suite.

When XP came out I was one of the first to get it, I ran it on an Abit BP6 dual celeron motherboard with a dual boot of Win2K. By the way Win2K was better than XP at the time. As LSASS on XP hits the HD every second where in WIN2K it did not.
January 31, 2008 4:09:42 AM

You should run HD tune on that USB stick. I don't know what Vista needs as a minimum to call it ready boost, but from what I have seen most USB flash RAM has abysmal read times compared to the HD. I'm not even sure Vista would use it, given the fact that you have 4GB of RAM, but it wouldn't surprise me. I used RC1 and I don't remember it taking 18sec to get to the home page. Something is wrong, and that's coming from a Vista disliker. I didn't want to be a hater. :lol: 
    • 1 / 11
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!