Sign in with
Your question

Need all the advice I can get! New build.... input needed

Last response: in Systems
January 30, 2008 9:42:22 PM

Alright everyone. The moment I've been waiting for. My current rig just fried and I get to build a new one :) 

Right now I am going to replace the motherboard, cpu, memory, hard disk, case and power supply... oh and the HSF.

I'm setting a budget around 1500 for all that. I may get another EVGA 8800GT and run an SLI setup. I know I want an Nvidia chipset and an Intel cpu. I want Quad too.

So here are the rules. No convincing me of anything but Nvidia chipset... and nothing but Quad core cpu's. I want 2x2 gig sticks of memory that are extremely overclockable.

Tell me all of your thoughts down to the case and power supply you think I should get. Also should I look at the newer Penryn or stick with the older Quads? Should I be looking at the 780i or 680i? What speed memory should I get?

Help me out people. I am officially going to buy and build on or around the 15th of Febuary. I need all the input you can give me with your brutal honest opinions!

January 30, 2008 10:50:48 PM

On top of people's advice, you should also do extensive research of your own.. Most people simply have a brand preference even though benchmarks can go against them. I myself spent months researching my components and it still wasn't perfect.

If you want nvidia, and want to stay cheap, the 680i is still a phenomenal board. Make sure you update its bios before isntalling a quad cpu though.

2x2gb sticks that overclock "extremely" well do not exist. Take a look at patrtiot extreme, mushkin, and g-skill. I bought 4x1gb crucial for guaranteed micron chips and better overclocking.

Antec cases are my preference, though many people prefer thermaltake and coolermaster to name a few.

If you aren't building for a month or so, then wait for the penryns, otherwise get a Q6600 now. a seagate 7200.11 hard drive of any size would be fine.

Corsair makes a nice tier 2 modular PSU, then 620HX, and is rated for all SLI setups (excluding tri-sli).

heatsink fan, since quads run a little hotter than duals, get a top of the line cooler such as TRUE 120 or tuniq tower, etc.

good luck.
January 31, 2008 4:58:11 PM

So far i've been looking at an Antec nine hundred case and pcp&c 750 silencer. Another 8800gt and 2x2 gig ddr1000 speed memory. I saw G.Skill for cheap. I really want the 780i. Just because I think it will run penryn's better without having to update bios.

Does anyone disagree with my selections so far? Should I wait to get penryn? Should I even consider 780i? Should I get 2x2 gigs of memory? Should I stick with 800 speed or go for the faster memory? How about thermalright HSFs? I read good reviews of these is there anything that you think is better?

If you had $1500 to spend what would you get minus keyboard, mouse, monitor?
Related resources
February 1, 2008 6:32:39 PM

Need some input... Here is what I have so far:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... here is the Antec 900

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... WD raptor 150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Another 8800GT. same one i have currently installed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... memory... does it matter that it's not EPP? I've read that nvidia and some companies have the EPP for better performance for gaming.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this is obviously up to some debate. but i like that this board is 2.0 pci-e and supports new penryn without bios flashing. what are your opinions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 64 bit... is it necessary? I want 4 gigs so I thought I should get 64 bit.

And lastly I dont know what proc to get... i'm really thinking Q6600 right now only because the new yorkfields arent out yet. Maybe a wolfie???? I really wanted quad though!!!

Need input here fellas!

Down to any screwtany you may provide!
February 1, 2008 7:26:46 PM

I've got an e8400 running at 4.2 ghz with barely changing the vcore. I love the new wolfies and are equally impressed with the features on my asus 750i. You get 45nm support. PCI express 2.0 support. Nvidia chipset, And all on a budget cheaper than a 680i lt. Look into it and see what you think. only downfall is you are limited to 4 sata ports.
February 1, 2008 8:22:00 PM

Well I have been thinking more about getting the newer wolfdale. Is there any news of a faster one coming than the e8400?

I like the 780i due to the ability to support two cards at 16x lanes. I'm thinking this may be better for cards now and especially in the future. I want fast memory too... like 1066.

Anything else I should be looking at? What makes the x38 so special Beurling? I noticed that's what you are running.
February 1, 2008 9:04:15 PM

the 750i also runs at 16x on both lanes with a bios update. Just some information.
February 1, 2008 9:07:03 PM

the e8500 is supposed to be out pretty soon like march but it only buys you a couple houndred mhz and a .5 increase on the multiplier.
February 2, 2008 1:21:42 AM

WEll i'm thinking more along the lines of the Q9450... i have seen places to pre-order it but none in stock. Anyone have any idea when there will be some in stock?
February 3, 2008 1:37:48 AM

I'm pretty set on the EVGA 780i board. I am considering to run Windows Vista 64. I need recommendations on memory. Should I get DDR2 800 or 1000 or even higher like 1066? Also I dont know whether I should get 2x2 set of memory or 2x1 set. I've seen sets in the 1200 speeds on the 1 gig sticks but not on the 2 gig sticks.

What kind of memory should I get? Should I get some that states that it is EPP? Should I get 2x2 or 2x1? Should I get overclocked memory or stick with 800 speeds?
February 6, 2008 6:36:50 PM

FYI... orders away:

Antec 900, PCPC 750 silencer, E8400, 2X2GB OCZ reaper DDR2 800, windows vista 64, EVGA 780i, 2X8800GT superclocked, WD raptor X, and a thermalright ultra-120 extreme.

Cant wait to finally put it together... if anyone has similar system lets talk overclocking. I want at least 3.6 with temps super super low. I'm hoping for a 15k 3dmark06 score but think that I can get more even still.
February 23, 2008 6:55:32 PM

By the way!!!

I built and this system rocks... 18600 3dmark06!
!