How do I boot to administrator?

July 28, 2005 2:09:24 PM

When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
From Document & Settings I can access folders in
Administrator
Default User
Jay
Owner
I can not access folders in All Users.
Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
Am I in Administrator mode?
If not, how do I boot to Administrator?

More about : boot administrator

July 28, 2005 7:25:26 PM

"J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
> From Document & Settings I can access folders in
> Administrator
> Default User
> Jay
> Owner
> I can not access folders in All Users.
> Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
> Am I in Administrator mode?
> If not, how do I boot to Administrator?

If you can access Control Panel | User Accounts, it will tell you whether
you are an Administrator or not.

As an administrator, you should have a password. Perhaps you are using Tweak
UI or similar software to log on to your account automatically, by default?
In a word, don't! Administrators should always logon manually, and always
with a password. Only limited-user accounts should ever be allowed to logon
automatically.

Note that even if you are the only user, all the programs you run will
inherit your user account privileges -- a huge security risk if you always
logon as an administrator. You should always logon with the minimum
privileges required to carry out your work. Administrator accounts should
only be used when essential maintenance requires it. You can always Run
As...Administrator whenever you need to install programs or perform other
maintenance. It's not as convenient as running as an administrator all the
time, but it vastly reduces the risks.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:25:27 PM

Blackadder wrote:
> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
>>From Document & Settings I can access folders in
>>Administrator
>>Default User
>>Jay
>>Owner
>>I can not access folders in All Users.
>>Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
>>Am I in Administrator mode?
>>If not, how do I boot to Administrator?
>

> If you can access Control Panel | User Accounts, it will tell you whether
> you are an Administrator or not.
>
> As an administrator, you should have a password. Perhaps you are using Tweak
> UI or similar software to log on to your account automatically, by default?
> In a word, don't! Administrators should always logon manually, and always
> with a password. Only limited-user accounts should ever be allowed to logon
> automatically.
>
> Note that even if you are the only user, all the programs you run will
> inherit your user account privileges -- a huge security risk if you always
> logon as an administrator. You should always logon with the minimum
> privileges required to carry out your work. Administrator accounts should
> only be used when essential maintenance requires it. You can always Run
> As...Administrator whenever you need to install programs or perform other
> maintenance. It's not as convenient as running as an administrator all the
> time, but it vastly reduces the risks.

You raise a number of questions.
Control Panel | User Accounts - I have 2 options
Jay - Computer Administrator
Guest - Guest account is on
does this mean I am logged on as guest?
TweakUI - I have heard of this. How do I know if I have it?
what are user account privileges? Do I assign these to users?
Are settings (e.g., network) different for different users?
Are specific programs available to Administrator but not others?
Related resources
July 28, 2005 7:38:40 PM

In some places you can right click and select "Run as Administrator"

Otherwise, at the logon screen, hit CTRL-ALT and Del Del, not to be confused
with CTRL-ALT-DEL

As was mentioned, be careful here. You should be able to do most things as
an Administrative User (not to be confused with the actual Administrator ;)

If you can access the other folders to which you refer, you should be able
to access the All Users.

Clark

> When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
> From Document & Settings I can access folders in
> Administrator
> Default User
> Jay
> Owner
> I can not access folders in All Users.
> Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
> Am I in Administrator mode?
> If not, how do I boot to Administrator?
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:38:41 PM

Clark wrote:
> In some places you can right click and select "Run as Administrator"
>
> Otherwise, at the logon screen, hit CTRL-ALT and Del Del, not to be confused
> with CTRL-ALT-DEL
>
> As was mentioned, be careful here. You should be able to do most things as
> an Administrative User (not to be confused with the actual Administrator ;)
>
> If you can access the other folders to which you refer, you should be able
> to access the All Users.
>
> Clark
>
> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
>>From Document & Settings I can access folders in
>>Administrator
>>Default User
>>Jay
>>Owner
>>I can not access folders in All Users.
>>Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
>>Am I in Administrator mode?
>>If not, how do I boot to Administrator?

I should have said 'I can not access Documents folder under All Users.'
I can access all folders for other users.
July 28, 2005 11:02:41 PM

When you go and click the start button, what does the log off line say? Log
off Guest or Jay, or what?

Clark

> Clark wrote:
>> In some places you can right click and select "Run as Administrator"
>>
>> Otherwise, at the logon screen, hit CTRL-ALT and Del Del, not to be
>> confused with CTRL-ALT-DEL
>>
>> As was mentioned, be careful here. You should be able to do most things
>> as an Administrative User (not to be confused with the actual
>> Administrator ;)
>>
>> If you can access the other folders to which you refer, you should be
>> able to access the All Users.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
>>>From Document & Settings I can access folders in
>>>Administrator
>>>Default User
>>>Jay
>>>Owner
>>>I can not access folders in All Users.
>>>Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
>>>Am I in Administrator mode?
>>>If not, how do I boot to Administrator?
>>

> I should have said 'I can not access Documents folder under All Users.'
> I can access all folders for other users.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:02:42 PM

Clark wrote:
> When you go and click the start button, what does the log off line say? Log
> off Guest or Jay, or what?

Standby, turn off, restart

> Clark
>
> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Clark wrote:
>>
>>>In some places you can right click and select "Run as Administrator"
>>>
>>>Otherwise, at the logon screen, hit CTRL-ALT and Del Del, not to be
>>>confused with CTRL-ALT-DEL
>>>
>>>As was mentioned, be careful here. You should be able to do most things
>>>as an Administrative User (not to be confused with the actual
>>>Administrator ;)
>>>
>>>If you can access the other folders to which you refer, you should be
>>>able to access the All Users.
>>>
>>>Clark
>>>
>>>"J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>I should have said 'I can not access Documents folder under All Users.'
>>I can access all folders for other users.

July 28, 2005 11:40:50 PM

> Blackadder wrote:
>> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
>>>From Document & Settings I can access folders in
>>>Administrator
>>>Default User
>>>Jay
>>>Owner
>>>I can not access folders in All Users.
>>>Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
>>>Am I in Administrator mode?
>>>If not, how do I boot to Administrator?
>>

>> If you can access Control Panel | User Accounts, it will tell you whether
>> you are an Administrator or not.
>>
>> As an administrator, you should have a password. Perhaps you are using
>> Tweak UI or similar software to log on to your account automatically, by
>> default? In a word, don't! Administrators should always logon manually,
>> and always with a password. Only limited-user accounts should ever be
>> allowed to logon automatically.
>>
>> Note that even if you are the only user, all the programs you run will
>> inherit your user account privileges -- a huge security risk if you
>> always logon as an administrator. You should always logon with the
>> minimum privileges required to carry out your work. Administrator
>> accounts should only be used when essential maintenance requires it. You
>> can always Run As...Administrator whenever you need to install programs
>> or perform other maintenance. It's not as convenient as running as an
>> administrator all the time, but it vastly reduces the risks.
> You raise a number of questions.
> Control Panel | User Accounts - I have 2 options
> Jay - Computer Administrator
> Guest - Guest account is on
> does this mean I am logged on as guest?

No -- it only means that you CAN log on as guest. But unless you actually
have need for a guest account, turn it off.

> TweakUI - I have heard of this. How do I know if I have it?

Download the Powertoys for Windows XP from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

> what are user account privileges?

The rights that you assigned to users and/or groups of users. Although
Control Panel only permits Administrator or Limited-User privileges, there
are many more which you can access via Control Panel | Administrative Tools
| Computer Management | Local Users and Groups. As well as the pre-set
privilieges, you can create your own.

> Do I assign these to users?

Yes. Or to groups of users.

> Are settings (e.g., network) different for different users?

They can be. Settings are either global or user-specific. Users can
generally change their own user-specific settings, but not global
settings -- unless their rights are sufficient enough to allow such changes.

> Are specific programs available to Administrator but not others?

Again, they can be. Limited-users typically cannot install programs nor run
any programs that would affect global settings (such as REGEDIT), but the
administrator can provide specific user groups that will elevate certain
user rights, allowing them to do things they normally couldn't, such as the
NeroBurnRights group which allows limited users the right to burn files to
CD using Nero.

Since you appear to be the only user, you should set your account to that of
a limited user and include any additional rights that you may need to work
normally. Do not elevate your rights beyond what you actually need -- you
want the minimum rights. Should you need to perform maintenance (such as a
program install), use the Administrator account, or impersonate it via Run
As..Administrator.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:40:51 PM

Blackadder wrote:
> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Blackadder wrote:
>>
>>>"J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>If you can access Control Panel | User Accounts, it will tell you whether
>>>you are an Administrator or not.
>>>
>>>As an administrator, you should have a password. Perhaps you are using
>>>Tweak UI or similar software to log on to your account automatically, by
>>>default? In a word, don't! Administrators should always logon manually,
>>>and always with a password. Only limited-user accounts should ever be
>>>allowed to logon automatically.
>>>
>>>Note that even if you are the only user, all the programs you run will
>>>inherit your user account privileges -- a huge security risk if you
>>>always logon as an administrator. You should always logon with the
>>>minimum privileges required to carry out your work. Administrator
>>>accounts should only be used when essential maintenance requires it. You
>>>can always Run As...Administrator whenever you need to install programs
>>>or perform other maintenance. It's not as convenient as running as an
>>>administrator all the time, but it vastly reduces the risks.
>>
>>You raise a number of questions.
>>Control Panel | User Accounts - I have 2 options
>>Jay - Computer Administrator
>>Guest - Guest account is on
>>does this mean I am logged on as guest?
>

> No -- it only means that you CAN log on as guest. But unless you actually
> have need for a guest account, turn it off.

How do I do that?

>>TweakUI - I have heard of this. How do I know if I have it?
>

> Download the Powertoys for Windows XP from Microsoft:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>

>>what are user account privileges?
>

> The rights that you assigned to users and/or groups of users. Although
> Control Panel only permits Administrator or Limited-User privileges, there
> are many more which you can access via Control Panel | Administrative Tools
> | Computer Management | Local Users and Groups. As well as the pre-set
> privilieges, you can create your own.
>

>>Do I assign these to users?
>

> Yes. Or to groups of users.
>

>>Are settings (e.g., network) different for different users?
>

> They can be. Settings are either global or user-specific. Users can
> generally change their own user-specific settings, but not global
> settings -- unless their rights are sufficient enough to allow such changes.
>

>>Are specific programs available to Administrator but not others?
>

> Again, they can be. Limited-users typically cannot install programs nor run
> any programs that would affect global settings (such as REGEDIT), but the
> administrator can provide specific user groups that will elevate certain
> user rights, allowing them to do things they normally couldn't, such as the
> NeroBurnRights group which allows limited users the right to burn files to
> CD using Nero.
>
> Since you appear to be the only user, you should set your account to that of
> a limited user and include any additional rights that you may need to work
> normally. Do not elevate your rights beyond what you actually need -- you
> want the minimum rights. Should you need to perform maintenance (such as a
> program install), use the Administrator account, or impersonate it via Run
> As..Administrator.

July 30, 2005 4:48:26 AM

>>>does this mean I am logged on as guest?
>>

>> No -- it only means that you CAN log on as guest. But unless you actually
>> have need for a guest account, turn it off.
>>
> How do I do that?

Control Panel | User Accounts | Guest | Turn off the guest account.
!