How do I boot to administrator?

When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
From Document & Settings I can access folders in
Administrator
Default User
Jay
Owner
I can not access folders in All Users.
Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
Am I in Administrator mode?
If not, how do I boot to Administrator?
9 answers Last reply
More about boot administrator

    "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
    > From Document & Settings I can access folders in
    > Administrator
    > Default User
    > Jay
    > Owner
    > I can not access folders in All Users.
    > Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
    > Am I in Administrator mode?
    > If not, how do I boot to Administrator?

    If you can access Control Panel | User Accounts, it will tell you whether
    you are an Administrator or not.

    As an administrator, you should have a password. Perhaps you are using Tweak
    UI or similar software to log on to your account automatically, by default?
    In a word, don't! Administrators should always logon manually, and always
    with a password. Only limited-user accounts should ever be allowed to logon
    automatically.

    Note that even if you are the only user, all the programs you run will
    inherit your user account privileges -- a huge security risk if you always
    logon as an administrator. You should always logon with the minimum
    privileges required to carry out your work. Administrator accounts should
    only be used when essential maintenance requires it. You can always Run
    As...Administrator whenever you need to install programs or perform other
    maintenance. It's not as convenient as running as an administrator all the
    time, but it vastly reduces the risks.

    Blackadder wrote:
    > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
    >>From Document & Settings I can access folders in
    >>Administrator
    >>Default User
    >>Jay
    >>Owner
    >>I can not access folders in All Users.
    >>Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
    >>Am I in Administrator mode?
    >>If not, how do I boot to Administrator?
    >

    > If you can access Control Panel | User Accounts, it will tell you whether
    > you are an Administrator or not.
    >
    > As an administrator, you should have a password. Perhaps you are using Tweak
    > UI or similar software to log on to your account automatically, by default?
    > In a word, don't! Administrators should always logon manually, and always
    > with a password. Only limited-user accounts should ever be allowed to logon
    > automatically.
    >
    > Note that even if you are the only user, all the programs you run will
    > inherit your user account privileges -- a huge security risk if you always
    > logon as an administrator. You should always logon with the minimum
    > privileges required to carry out your work. Administrator accounts should
    > only be used when essential maintenance requires it. You can always Run
    > As...Administrator whenever you need to install programs or perform other
    > maintenance. It's not as convenient as running as an administrator all the
    > time, but it vastly reduces the risks.

    You raise a number of questions.
    Control Panel | User Accounts - I have 2 options
    Jay - Computer Administrator
    Guest - Guest account is on
    does this mean I am logged on as guest?
    TweakUI - I have heard of this. How do I know if I have it?
    what are user account privileges? Do I assign these to users?
    Are settings (e.g., network) different for different users?
    Are specific programs available to Administrator but not others?

    In some places you can right click and select "Run as Administrator"

    Otherwise, at the logon screen, hit CTRL-ALT and Del Del, not to be confused
    with CTRL-ALT-DEL

    As was mentioned, be careful here. You should be able to do most things as
    an Administrative User (not to be confused with the actual Administrator ;)

    If you can access the other folders to which you refer, you should be able
    to access the All Users.

    Clark

    Clark wrote:
    > In some places you can right click and select "Run as Administrator"
    >
    > Otherwise, at the logon screen, hit CTRL-ALT and Del Del, not to be confused
    > with CTRL-ALT-DEL
    >
    > As was mentioned, be careful here. You should be able to do most things as
    > an Administrative User (not to be confused with the actual Administrator ;)
    >
    > If you can access the other folders to which you refer, you should be able
    > to access the All Users.
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
    >>From Document & Settings I can access folders in
    >>Administrator
    >>Default User
    >>Jay
    >>Owner
    >>I can not access folders in All Users.
    >>Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
    >>Am I in Administrator mode?
    >>If not, how do I boot to Administrator?

    I should have said 'I can not access Documents folder under All Users.'
    I can access all folders for other users.

    When you go and click the start button, what does the log off line say? Log
    off Guest or Jay, or what?

    Clark

    Clark wrote:
    > When you go and click the start button, what does the log off line say? Log
    > off Guest or Jay, or what?

    Standby, turn off, restart

    > Blackadder wrote:
    >> "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>When I boot up I am not asked for a username or password.
    >>>From Document & Settings I can access folders in
    >>>Administrator
    >>>Default User
    >>>Jay
    >>>Owner
    >>>I can not access folders in All Users.
    >>>Am I able to make changes as if I were the Administrator (I am BTW)?
    >>>Am I in Administrator mode?
    >>>If not, how do I boot to Administrator?
    >>

    >> If you can access Control Panel | User Accounts, it will tell you whether
    >> you are an Administrator or not.
    >>
    >> As an administrator, you should have a password. Perhaps you are using
    >> Tweak UI or similar software to log on to your account automatically, by
    >> default? In a word, don't! Administrators should always logon manually,
    >> and always with a password. Only limited-user accounts should ever be
    >> allowed to logon automatically.
    >>
    >> Note that even if you are the only user, all the programs you run will
    >> inherit your user account privileges -- a huge security risk if you
    >> always logon as an administrator. You should always logon with the
    >> minimum privileges required to carry out your work. Administrator
    >> accounts should only be used when essential maintenance requires it. You
    >> can always Run As...Administrator whenever you need to install programs
    >> or perform other maintenance. It's not as convenient as running as an
    >> administrator all the time, but it vastly reduces the risks.
    > You raise a number of questions.
    > Control Panel | User Accounts - I have 2 options
    > Jay - Computer Administrator
    > Guest - Guest account is on
    > does this mean I am logged on as guest?

    No -- it only means that you CAN log on as guest. But unless you actually
    have need for a guest account, turn it off.

    > TweakUI - I have heard of this. How do I know if I have it?

    Download the Powertoys for Windows XP from Microsoft:

    > what are user account privileges?

    The rights that you assigned to users and/or groups of users. Although
    Control Panel only permits Administrator or Limited-User privileges, there
    are many more which you can access via Control Panel | Administrative Tools
    | Computer Management | Local Users and Groups. As well as the pre-set
    privilieges, you can create your own.

    > Do I assign these to users?

    Yes. Or to groups of users.

    > Are settings (e.g., network) different for different users?

    They can be. Settings are either global or user-specific. Users can
    generally change their own user-specific settings, but not global
    settings -- unless their rights are sufficient enough to allow such changes.

    > Are specific programs available to Administrator but not others?

    Again, they can be. Limited-users typically cannot install programs nor run
    any programs that would affect global settings (such as REGEDIT), but the
    administrator can provide specific user groups that will elevate certain
    user rights, allowing them to do things they normally couldn't, such as the
    NeroBurnRights group which allows limited users the right to burn files to
    CD using Nero.

    Since you appear to be the only user, you should set your account to that of
    a limited user and include any additional rights that you may need to work
    normally. Do not elevate your rights beyond what you actually need -- you
    want the minimum rights. Should you need to perform maintenance (such as a
    program install), use the Administrator account, or impersonate it via Run
    As..Administrator.

    Blackadder wrote:
    > "J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Blackadder wrote:
    >>
    >>>"J Lunis" <jay.lunis@gmail.com> wrote in message

    >>>If you can access Control Panel | User Accounts, it will tell you whether
    >>>you are an Administrator or not.
    >>>
    >>>As an administrator, you should have a password. Perhaps you are using
    >>>Tweak UI or similar software to log on to your account automatically, by
    >>>default? In a word, don't! Administrators should always logon manually,
    >>>and always with a password. Only limited-user accounts should ever be
    >>>allowed to logon automatically.
    >>>
    >>>Note that even if you are the only user, all the programs you run will
    >>>inherit your user account privileges -- a huge security risk if you
    >>>always logon as an administrator. You should always logon with the
    >>>minimum privileges required to carry out your work. Administrator
    >>>accounts should only be used when essential maintenance requires it. You
    >>>can always Run As...Administrator whenever you need to install programs
    >>>or perform other maintenance. It's not as convenient as running as an
    >>>administrator all the time, but it vastly reduces the risks.
    >>
    >>You raise a number of questions.
    >>Control Panel | User Accounts - I have 2 options
    >>Jay - Computer Administrator
    >>Guest - Guest account is on
    >>does this mean I am logged on as guest?
    >

    > No -- it only means that you CAN log on as guest. But unless you actually
    > have need for a guest account, turn it off.

    How do I do that?

    >>>does this mean I am logged on as guest?
    >>

    >> No -- it only means that you CAN log on as guest. But unless you actually
    >> have need for a guest account, turn it off.
    >>
    > How do I do that?

    Control Panel | User Accounts | Guest | Turn off the guest account.

Document Boot Microsoft Windows XP