How to move Program Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I recently built a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I use an SSD as a boot drive and an HDD for storage. Since the Windows installation I have installed several other programs in both the "Program Files" and the "Program Files (x86)" folders.

I'm running out of space on my SSD and I'd like to move both Program Files folders to the HDD. If someone could provide directions or a link to a tutorial that would be great.

It would also be nice to have the option of only moving some programs to the HDD and leaving some on the SSD if that's possible.

I'm sure this is a question that gets asked often but I haven't found anything yet that seems reliable. There is a link in the Software stickies regarding this exact issue but for some reason I can't access the article.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/39689-program-files-directory-change-default-installs.html

Thanks

Solution
Doesn't moving programs off the SSD defeat the purpose of having a SSD in the first place - fast program startups?

If you don't have many programs to move, I'd just uninstall and reinstall them. Normally during the installation you can pick the install drive and folder and you won't have to worry about the registry being in disarray.

gilpin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I had the same issue for games. I brought a separate drive for the games and moved them off my SSD.

You need to do four things:

(1) Copy the program data to the new drive

(2) Find the install path for the program in the registry (usually under local machine\software) and change the keys that have a drive letter included to the new drive

(3) Have a look for any config files within the program data itself for any that may contain a drive letter and update accordingly

(4) Update any shortcuts to the new drive location

Test them and delete old data if working ok.

I moved 10+ games successfully using this method.

This is not perfect as I did have to manually add shortcuts into my games explorer. but it did avoid reinstalling them all and saved ny many hours.

Doesn't moving programs off the SSD defeat the purpose of having a SSD in the first place - fast program startups?

If you don't have many programs to move, I'd just uninstall and reinstall them. Normally during the installation you can pick the install drive and folder and you won't have to worry about the registry being in disarray.

Solution

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Yeah, but the SSD I bought was too small and I'm out of space. I have some things I'd like to install that would benefit a lot from the speed of the SSD and I'd like to make room for those by moving some of the programs that don't benefit as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.