Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom 9600 BE, 5000 BE, 6400 BE, or move to Intel

Last response: in CPUs
Share

What Should I do in May of 08?

Total: 10 votes (3 blank votes)

  • Buy Phenom 9600 Black Edition
  • 29 %
  • Buy X2 5000 Black Edition
  • 15 %
  • Buy X2 6400 Black Edition
  • 15 %
  • Keep my X2 5600
  • 0 %
  • Make the move to Intel
  • 43 %
February 19, 2008 11:28:17 AM

I will be buying a new amd CPU. I don't mind the price of any of them. I wouldn't mind overclocking. If I overclocked each of them to the max, which would be best for gaming? Which should I buy? I play crysis soo.. I would be buying in May.
February 19, 2008 11:56:56 AM

What games do you want to play? I would steer clear of the 6400 + BE. Power hungry, and you really can't OC it that much. The 5000+ BE is a great choice, easily overclockable. The 9600 still has an issue with TLB errata. If you want to go Phenom, wait for the B3 to come out.
February 19, 2008 12:21:29 PM

I'd wait till April and the first B3 steppings of the Phenom's if you want a quad core. If you need it right now, then get one of the better X2's with a 770 or 790 motherboard with DDR2 1066 memory so you can benefit from an upgrade to Phenom. You won't get the full benefit of 1066 with an Athlon X2, but you won't have to buy new RAM when you do go Phenom.

45nm Phenom's arriving 3rd quarter 2008 are reported to be clocked at 3.2 (quite a speed bump). Triple and dual core's based on the Phenom are arriving in April, but some will be B2 and others B3 steppings. The B2 have the TLB errata, which mostly affects those who virtualize. You can tell a B3 from a B2 by designations like 9650 vs. 9600 for the B2's. The Triple cores will be 8xxx series, and the dual's 7xxx.
Related resources
February 19, 2008 12:26:35 PM

oh nooooo, another lost amd soul ... =P

Like yip and mim said, if ya wanna really go amd ... i'd try to wait it out .. the current set of chips aren't worth the money imo ... others might disagree but thats the way forums work ...
February 19, 2008 2:43:37 PM

In my personal experiences, don't expect much (if any) OC out of a Phenom 9600BE. There is also that rumor (a thread I myself started) about some of them shipping with bunked 3rd cores.

Personaly I'd go for the 6400BE, having owned one it is an awesome chip for a dual core. Yeah it runs hot, and yeah it drains some juice... you'd need a zalman to go with it if you got it, but the 5000+BE doesn't come with a HSF either.
February 19, 2008 3:07:35 PM

If you want to go with the 6400, go with this 1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

since there is (virtually) no room for overclocking anyways, there's no reason to buy the BE. This 1 is $4 more and you get a HSF with it.

but, if you buy the 5000+ BE, you can get some extra speed by just upping the multiplier. for gaming I'd steer clear of the Phenom also until they fix their problems.

just my 2 cents
February 19, 2008 3:16:19 PM

yep... highest i've sen for a phenom 9600BE is 2.7ghz :( . shame, considering it's a BE, but still...
February 19, 2008 3:45:11 PM

I'll put my vote in for the 5000+ BE. It is cheaper, runs cooler, uses less power, and can overclock higher. That's not a bad combination. :D 

At present, the Phenom's not really worth the money. Too many issues. There is also a problem with the motherboards, using a SB600 southbridge which can cause interference while installing Vista. When they update the mobos to using a SB700 southbridge, things should be better on that end.
February 19, 2008 4:01:59 PM

I went from a 5000BE @ 3.2ghz to a Phenom BE @ 2.6ghz

If you primarily use your computer for games, go with the 5000BE @ 3.2. It runs way cooler than the phenom, and performs better in single threaded apps like games.

For a very noticeable gain in multitasking, video/audio encoding, file compression, etc. performance, and a slightly noticeable decrease in gaming performance, go with the Phenom BE @ 2.6ghz.

Hope that helps.

Obligatory Intel statement: Of course you'd be better off with a Q6600, but I'm sure you knew that. :p 
February 19, 2008 5:13:11 PM

6400+ is a great upgrade for an AM2 mobo. It's as simple as that.

I feel like it's extended the life of my current PC quite a while. It's a huge upgrade in terms of speed/smoothness for games.

But unless you're buying for an AM2 mobo there's surely better ways to go.
February 19, 2008 8:01:43 PM

carman594 said:
I will be buying a new amd CPU. I don't mind the price of any of them. I wouldn't mind overclocking. If I overclocked each of them to the max, which would be best for gaming? Which should I buy?

I'd be buying in may. I play crysis.
February 19, 2008 8:09:55 PM

Currently, it seems like the best way for me to go is 5000be. Doesn't it matter that the 5000BE only has 1MB of cache vs my 5600's 2? But, I'd be buying in May. What would be in store for me in May? Should I just get an Intel Mobo and make the switch to intel??
February 19, 2008 8:37:54 PM

carman594 said:
Currently, it seems like the best way for me to go is 5000be. Doesn't it matter that the 5000BE only has 1MB of cache vs my 5600's 2? But, I'd be buying in May. What would be in store for me in May? Should I just get an Intel Mobo and make the switch to intel??


My advice, if you must buy now, is switch to Intel if you have no social or legal gripes against the company. If you really want AMD, then wait for 45nm Phenom and then decide. Personally, I think your current CPU is just fine, but if you need the performance now, then an Intel motherboard that can accept a nice 45nm quad down the line is a good idea.

Never buy anything at the end of it's lifecycle, unless you have to go budget (ie don't get a Q6600).

Never be the first to buy untested tech unless you thrive on the risks of early adoption (ie B2 Phenom).
February 19, 2008 8:46:59 PM

yipsl said:
My advice, if you must buy now, is switch to Intel if you have no social or legal gripes against the company. If you really want AMD, then wait for 45nm Phenom and then decide. Personally, I think your current CPU is just fine, but if you need the performance now, then an Intel motherboard that can accept a nice 45nm quad down the line is a good idea.

Never buy anything at the end of it's lifecycle, unless you have to go budget (ie don't get a Q6600).

Never be the first to buy untested tech unless you thrive on the risks of early adoption (ie B2 Phenom).

What should I do if I bought in May. I'd only have a $300 budget. If I went to Intel, I'd get the EVGA 680i board for 200 and a $100 cpu and oc it. Later down the road I'd upgrade the CPU. I don't think I have much upgrade potential with AMD.
February 19, 2008 11:35:10 PM

I think you are in a good place with that 5600 to just wait awhile and see how things pan out. If Intel gets off there arses and produces somthing new like they said they would you could go Nahelem end of this yr or early next. I think you should be ok until then.

If you just cant wait and want more performance, just upgrade the video card with one of the Big time cards coming out in a few months. That should help tide you over until the Big Guns come out (amd next gen and Intel next gen)
!