Sign in with
Your question

You can buy the blu-ray burner now toshiba gave up

Last response: in Components
February 19, 2008 11:30:23 AM

Hd-dvd has lost the format war so if you were waiting to buy that blu-ray burner for your new rig its safe to do so:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/19/technology/toshiba.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008021904
February 19, 2008 3:59:07 PM

who says they've neccesarily lost? (not that i care, or have been following closely....)
February 19, 2008 4:10:38 PM

spuddyt said:
who says they've neccesarily lost? (not that i care, or have been following closely....)

According to that CNN article, Toshiba is calling it quits. ;) 

Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, and Netflix recently made public statements supporting Blu-ray exclusively. That sorta put a cork in it for HDDVD.

It makes sense really, because I bought a HDDVD player. :cry: 
Related resources
February 19, 2008 4:13:31 PM

hehe. well, not a total loss... u can still use it as a dvd upscaler :) 
February 19, 2008 4:14:52 PM

If you bought either a hd-dvd or bd-dvd player before the format war was won, then that was a bit stupid, one of them has to loose, who knows which one?
February 19, 2008 4:23:50 PM

sarafan said:
hehe. well, not a total loss... u can still use it as a dvd upscaler :) 

Very true, and it does a great job at it. :) 

uk_gangsta said:
If you bought either a hd-dvd or bd-dvd player before the format war was won, then that was a bit stupid, one of them has to loose, who knows which one?

Yea...perhaps it wasnt smart of me. BUT I did buy it on the $99 Wal-mart special and got my 5 free HD-DVD movies, so at least it wasnt a huge financial loss. Oh well. :bounce: 
February 19, 2008 4:33:03 PM

So I wonder then, how this news will effect the price of Blu-ray players.

Im sure HDDVD movies are going to be on mass sale...

And any movie that was previous available only on HDDVD will probably be available on BD soon?
February 19, 2008 4:53:40 PM

rallyimprezive said:
So I wonder then, how this news will effect the price of Blu-ray players.

Im sure HDDVD movies are going to be on mass sale...

And any movie that was previous available only on HDDVD will probably be available on BD soon?

I was curious about this as well. A couple weeks ago, I checked Newegg's prices on BD-ROM drives. Then it was $180/190. I checked this morning and it was $145/$160.

I've already seen one or two BOGO sales on HD-DVDs. I'm sure there will be more to come.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for HD-DVD only movies to be republished as Blu-Ray movies. It may happen soon, but not necessarily.

-Wolf sends
February 19, 2008 5:08:08 PM

uk_gangsta said:

Just like buying a cd+r versus cd-r or dvd+r versus dvd-r? These aren't the days of VHS versus Beta. Reasonably priced dual-format players probably would have saved HD DVD and kept both formats around.

February 19, 2008 7:00:43 PM

I knew I shouldn't have wasted that $180 on a HD DVD player for the Xbox 360. ...thank goodness it was inexpensive. Upscaling DVD player? ...yeah, I guess, but I have a 5-disc Sony DVD carousel for that.

Oh, I shoulda had a Blu Ray Dolt! :pt1cable: 
February 19, 2008 7:30:09 PM

One big difference, at least the last I checked, is the HD DVD players were generally a lot cheaper than Blu Ray. Maybe that's changing, or will change. Don't know, but this may be better for the companies that make the stuff and not for the consumer.
February 19, 2008 8:25:14 PM

Price. Yeah. That's why I got the xBox 360 add on, but I lost because now I'm going to "have to" get a BluRay player anways. Get it, "have to", see that's what I'm going to tell my wife, because you know how critical and important this is in the scheme of things. :ange: 
February 19, 2008 8:25:41 PM

as the tech matures prices always decrease.. for example, the blu-ray laser was recently shrunk, so the savings at the manufacturing level will trickle down to the consumer level. bottom line being, u shouldnt worry too much about the costs at this point, it'll get cheaper
February 19, 2008 8:41:16 PM

Toshiba and Microsoft got to greedy. Not that we haven't seen this in the past. ;) 
February 19, 2008 8:48:34 PM

pchoi04 said:
Toshiba and Microsoft got to greedy. Not that we haven't seen this in the past. ;) 

Wheeew, thank goodness Sony is not "too greedy" :lol: 
February 19, 2008 8:51:12 PM

I presently refuse to buy anything from Sony, not until they give up DRM and M$ implements a patch that does away with DRM from Vista.
February 19, 2008 8:52:29 PM

WOOT, i been buying blue ray for ps3... now i can get a burner and start getting silly.
February 19, 2008 8:58:39 PM

Even though BluRay won, all those poor souls who bought a player that doesn't support Sony's newest BluRay spec are SOL if they want the new features. Too bad really, Toshiba was nice enough to put out a finished product. But hey, if Best Buy says I should have BluRay, then who am I to argue?
February 19, 2008 9:32:57 PM

I wonder if a 22" lcd monitor, that's native resolution is 1680 x 1050 would be good for watching blu-ray movies, or is it not worth it in terms of the quality would be awful and not worth it since its not 1080? :??: 
February 19, 2008 9:45:29 PM

OH WELL im not gonna buy neither of those in 3 years
February 19, 2008 9:53:24 PM

FrozenGpu said:
I wonder if a 22" lcd monitor, that's native resolution is 1680 x 1050 would be good for watching blu-ray movies, or is it not worth it in terms of the quality would be awful and not worth it since its not 1080? :??: 

I ah....found a way.....to watch Blu-Ray on my 22" and it looks stellar. Quality should be great. It is downsized a bit, but really, it still looks great.
February 19, 2008 10:08:29 PM

sailer said:
I presently refuse to buy anything from Sony, not until they give up DRM and M$ implements a patch that does away with DRM from Vista.

DRM? Big deal. Download ANY DvD HD and no more DRM problems.
February 19, 2008 10:14:14 PM

rallyimprezive said:
I ah....found a way.....to watch Blu-Ray on my 22" and it looks stellar. Quality should be great. It is downsized a bit, but really, it still looks great.

when you say you found a way, what do you mean? I would assume all it woudl take is a blu-ray rom drive, blu-ray dvd, and a pc able to handle that, and a monitor that is capable of 1080? Or is there another way?
!