Water Cooling a CM Stacker 832

samthebobman

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Firstly Hello everyone!

Im looking to switch my current build over from air to water cooling. Got a stacker 832 case and at the moment im a bit unsure as to where I could mount the radiator, pump and resevoir. Wondered about putting the radiator in the 5 1/4" bays, or on the side panel, possibly even a single rad on the top with the top fan, but im really unsure if it'll fit.

Currently looking to cool a q6600 and 2 g80 8800 gts's, but would also consider the northbridge on the 680i mobo, as im after either a 4.2 or a 4.7 GHz clock on the processor, so any advice on components would be welcome, been looking at a lot of alphacool stuff as thats about all scan stock, but moneys not too much of a concern really, would rather have a quality loop than a bunch of cheap tacky bits.

Thanks!

Sam

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Try http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/ for cheap items and maybe buy/ look through a 'Custom PC' mag to get a 10% discount off a basket worth over £150. As for your overclock you maybe looking a little too high. 4ghz is achievable maybe a tad more depending on how much voltage your 'happy' to feed your CPU for 24/7 results.

Half the fun is measuring up the dimensions of the case to see if things will fit ;). It won't feel like you've done it if someone else works it out for you. If your not prepared to do this, it might not be the best idea to switch to custom watercooling unless using 'work up' kits like the 'Big water' on just your CPU.

If your going for a kit form then the Swiftech Kit is probably the best all rounder.

If you want the best custom kit and money's no object;

Best CPU waterblock atm is either the 'Apogee GTZ' or the D-Tek Fusion with nozzles.

GPU waterblock I would suggest a EK -FC88 GTS maybe a better one not 100% sure.

Go for at least 1x ThermoChill PA120.3, maybe add another PA120.1/ PA120.2,

As for pumps you can generally choose between MCP655 (large, but very good LPH and delivery head), MCP350 (small/quiet, fairly good LPH, same delivery head as the MCP655) and then the MCP355 (small, slightly noisier, better LPH than the MCP350, but more importantly a 4.7m delivery head).

Reservoir's I'm not too sure about, I went with an XSPC 5 1/4" res...

Northbridge we would need to know exactly what make and model not just the chipset.

samthebobman

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks for the info, i'll get measuring!

Just so you know its the EVGA 680i, the second revision i think, and the case is definutely tall enough to fit the tripple rad in, just got to work out where so i'll have to buy, then fiddle :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Currently looking to cool a q6600 and 2 g80 8800 gts's, but would also consider the northbridge on the 680i mobo, as im after either a 4.2 or a 4.7 GHz clock on the processor, so any advice on components would be welcome

You might be able to get to 4.2, but 4.7 will probably only be possible with LN2 especially with a Q6600...you would more likely burn it up with excessive voltage before you got it stable. A 1.8-2.1 ghz overclock of that chip is most likely, not possible. I think 3.6 to 3.8 are highly possible if you have a good, low VID and have a good cooling setup. I have mine at 4.0 and I haven't been able to get anywhere past that, and I was extremely lucky.

samthebobman

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Have it set at 3.2 at the moment on air cooling, running the RAM at 667mhz to match the fsb, but i was hoping to be able to take advantage of faster RAM by incraesing the fsb to accomodate 1066 ram at a 1:1 ratio, meaning a base speed of 533mhz, fsb of 2132, and then pick a stable multiplyer for the cpu, the 9x multi is the highest but if its going to require too much voltage then i'd better think again i suppose. A 7x would see me at 3.7, with an 8x at 4.2, so i'll see whats stable and will last a little while, dont intend on keeping it that much longer as its an old B1 stepping and i'd like to move onto the newer die sizes once i've had my fun.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah, you would have to have some highly speed rated RAM for that to work well, even in theory. You have an old stepping (B1? I thought that would be B3...) They OC OK...the G0 does better, but really only depending on the VID you get...some are very low and some are rather high.

I think VID ranges for those are 1.2000-1.375...I could be wrong, but those are general ranges.

Your biggest hurdle to overcome would first be heat, followed by keeping NB and CPU at voltages that a) remain stable and b) don't damage the components. To reach speeds like that on current hardware most likely requires voltages (very) outside the safe limits for those (plus others) components, like RAM.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
If your wanting to keep the NB cooler try: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_32&products_id=499.

NB water blocks tend to be more restrictive than CPU blocks, so a good quality Laing pump would be a definite.

samthebobman

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Im picking up some dominator ram rated at 1066 so they'll be fine at that speed, and i no doubt got the stepping wrong i just know its not a g0 >.<

My current voltage at 3.2 is quite low if i remember correctly, 1.2something, so im expecting decent results, not miracles, but at the same time im none too bothered if it goes tits up

Going for a Laing DDC pump, the MCP355, a bay resevoir and the D-Tek Fuzion v2 with the quad core insert, only really got to decide on which radiator(s) to choose and where to stick them, currently oggling the TFC Xchanger series, and thinking of a triple to start with, then possibly add in a single or twin rad once i get some gpu cooling in, as it seems no one sells g80 8800 gts blocks any more :(

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
MCW60 with the G80 adapter plate. I had it (still do on my 9800gtx) but you need the plate for the different hole spacing. I think when I ordered mine, it came with the adapter and I bought an extra one.

You will need RAM sinks...not absolutely, but a very good idea.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not sure...it would be nice if it mentioned if it were G80/G92 compatible. I know the G92 was a die shrink so the mounts make a difference...my 9800gtx doesn't need the plate.

That looks a lot like the DangerDen and Swiftech blocks they are selling out on FrozenCPU (or any site).

^^ Edit: thanks for the update!