neph2k8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Hello all.

Im having a few problems with my 6800 GT, mainly oriented around temperature problems.

I have had this card since it was released 4/5 years ago and havent used anything else and im still happy with it. Recently (over the past 6 - 9 months) i have been having system crashes for no reason and the temperature around my PC seems to be a tad OTT.

i recently got the new nvidia control panel and decided to give it a whirl and take a look at the temperatures.

Under idle (sat on desktop for 1hr) i recorded an average temp of 89 degrees C

Under load (3x 20 min map rotations in TF2 on HIGH) recorded an average temp of 120 degrees C

Now these temps cannot be right can they? this isnt what the 6800 should be running at?

Question im asking is, is the cooler on the card doing its job or should i find a replacement and soon?

the card is an Aopen 256mb 6800 GT

No, those temps are high. I have a 6800 in my desktop at home which idles around 50 and load never above 80 and that's in a really crappy Dell case.

Two things to do before you buy anything:
1) get a can of air and spray the dust out of the HSF. Dust can cause major heat issues.
2) Make sure that the HSF on the card is actually pushing air.

DieSeTTer

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I had the same problem when i had my 6800gt. I first tried blowing it out but it didnt work. So what i did was get a small screw driver, like the ones used for eye glasses. Removed the cover and found dirt clogging the heatsink. So the fan wasnt able to do its job. Then blow it out with air.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Yeah, I would agree with everyone in saying that is way to high, I have the 6800 GT OC and I Oclkd the memory to 425 and 1140 respectively. My card idles at 54 degree's and 82 degree's under load (NFS Prostreet). Clean all the fans in the PC and you may need to get an exhaust fan if your tower doesn't have good air flow.